Need to buy 40+ inch HD tv... suggestions required

Sam22

TV Expert
^so buying a plasma wont be a risk?
i was about to buy LG 42LS3400 but got few issues with budget and now i have only one choice to buy 42inch tv with 43k below amount. :(

i searched on internet and got few positive sides of plasma as well as negatives also..

Plasma's are giving better PQ but that burn-in issue is frustrating and also few people said that plasma wont be good with static content viewing such as laptop, games etc which have static content.

i am totally confused now. :(

The plasma's in real have a big burn in issue associated with them so as per me you should avoid it. As Wr Sherlock already told you about LS3400 so why not go for it once your budget issue gets solved.
So you can also avail the EMI scheme from LG.

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
Thanks for your reply.
Actually i went to LG showroom yesterday night and saw 3D tvs also.. they showed me one plasma tv of 42inch which was amazing.. what a 3d quality..

today i did research on plasma tvs and found that they have one big problem of "Burn in"!

Can you please tell me about it more?

I also noted that plasma tvs are cheaper than LEDs!! please let me know some more info on this.. Reply appreciated.

^ burn in means using a device in a particular way so that it can "settle" in its best performance mode.

think of it like this :
you have a knife, but its slightly dull. you use it with a knife sharpener (you are "burning in" the sharpened of a knife so that it becomes more sharp)
now, you have a better performing knife.

however, in your case, the performance of the will not get worse with performance; the "burn in" is permanent.

burn-in is very subjective... you might not notice much change, or you might get a large boost in performance... depends on what unit you get.

I believe there seems to be a slight misunderstanding of the terms. There are 3 terms you should be aware of with TVs, particularly with Plasmas: Break-in, Burn-in, and Image Retention

What Doomgiver is describing is not burn-in, rather it is break-in. When you first get a plasma screen, you must "break-in" your TV. That generally involves leaving the TV on for several hours a day for a total of anywhere from 100-200 hours to let the phosphors (it's what makes each pixel give off light) settle-in. Essentially, the picture that you see when you first get your plasma screen will not be the same picture you will see 100-200 hours later. The fresh phosphors generally burn brighter when you first get the TV (thus distorting the image quality a bit), but lower down to normal levels as you use your plasma TV continuously. After the break-in period, the picture quality will not change. Note that you can even "break-in" an LCD TV.

Burn-in and image retention, on the other hand, are potential problems with plasmas. They both occur when a static image (whether on a part of a screen like the HUD for an FPS or the full screen when you leave your TV on pause) is left on the screen for an extended period of time and that static image can be seen even after the image changes. So if there was a big PAUSE sign on the TV for a long time, even after you un-pause the movie, you will see a faint PAUSE sign on the TV. This typically happens if you leave static images on the screen without properly breaking-in your plasma TV. The difference between a burn-in and image retention is that burn-ins are permanent, whereas image retention will go away over time. Fortunately, burn-ins are not very common with modern plasma screens -- they were big problems for the first generation of plasma TVs. Image retention, on the other hand, is still very common with plasmas. Fortunately, all plasma TV these days come with a program to "wash out" the image retention. Depending on the severity of the image retention, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks for it go away fully.

I hope this clears everything up! If you have any more questions, let me know!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

yogi31286

Broken In
yes.. even i was reading few guides and details about plasmas and got to know that new generation plasmas have surpassed the level and they don't give that burn-in issue much(atleast latest plasmas)

I was thinking to go to shopping mall and check plasmas demo also with all this questions to the salesman..

If viewing distance is 10ft then what would be the best size of tv preferable?

I was thinking to go with 42inch LED/Plasma but saw your reply on some other thread that if viewing distance is 2meter then you should buy 32-40inch tv..

Can you please tell me more on this?

And also.. according to you.. which plasma tv would be the best currently? please give link also if possible

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
yes.. even i was reading few guides and details about plasmas and got to know that new generation plasmas have surpassed the level and they don't give that burn-in issue much(atleast latest plasmas)

I was thinking to go to shopping mall and check plasmas demo also with all this questions to the salesman..

If viewing distance is 10ft then what would be the best size of tv preferable?

I was thinking to go with 42inch LED/Plasma but saw your reply on some other thread that if viewing distance is 2meter then you should buy 32-40inch tv..

Can you please tell me more on this?

And also.. according to you.. which plasma tv would be the best currently? please give link also if possible

The distances I was giving you were averages. How far you should sit from the TV is a subjective experience. For example, some people say that if you are 10 feet from the TV, the TV should be at least 65" in order for you to have a full cinematic experience watching a movie. Personally for me, that's a bit big, and it's not very good for gaming because the edges of the screen will be out of focus since it's not in the center of your vision. Personally for me, at 10 feet away, a TV size of 47 inches would be perfect. Even 42" might be good for you!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

yogi31286

Broken In
^ thanks for your explanation. i ordered LG 42inch LED 42LS3400 on infibeam. will place my full review as soon as i get the TV. Whats your review for playing games, and browsing internet via laptop to this TV?

LGWRSherlock

LG Expert
^ thanks for your explanation. i ordered LG 42inch LED 42LS3400 on infibeam. will place my full review as soon as i get the TV. Whats your review for playing games, and browsing internet via laptop to this TV?

You are welcome! I will be waiting for your review of this TV!

As for your question, what games will you be playing on the TV? Console or PC games?

Console games should be fine. As for PC games, there may be a slight input lag (as with most PC games played on a big screen), but it should still be good!

LG WRman Sherlock, out!

Top Bottom