Need suggestions regarding design of FRONT END for project

Status
Not open for further replies.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello guys,

I'm an engineering student and have developed an application as part of my final year project. It's working well. But I'm supposed to design a front end for it.

The way I have implemented it is: The user provides the input from command line like:

prog-name supposed-file-name -level file1 [file2] [file3] ....

prog-name is the executable, supposed file-name is the output file obtained after running the executable, and then the file names.

Please guys suggest me how to develop a front-end for this.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Create a VB GUI that gets file names, then executes a system call for the program with the parameters... You can get VB.NET Express Edition downloadable free... Or, you can probably also use VC# (Express Edition provided in this month's Digit DVD) but I have no experience in it...

Arun

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
sakumar79 said:
Create a VB GUI that gets file names, then executes a system call for the program with the parameters... You can get VB.NET Express Edition downloadable free... Or, you can probably also use VC# (Express Edition provided in this month's Digit DVD) but I have no experience in it...

Arun
I can use an API in VB that calls the executable file and passes parameters to it. But the problem is that I don't know how to display the contents of the executable file in VB window and and the executable requires the user to press a key after execution.

sakumar79

Technomancer
I think that process call in vb.net allows you to wait for the process to exit and then continue code processing... Is this what you are looking for? If so, I will check up further and get back to you...

Arun

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Why don't u think for "C" / "C++" for developing command line programs?

(plz correct me if I'm supposing something wrong..:-()

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
shirish_nagar said:
Why don't u think for "C" / "C++" for developing command line programs?

(plz correct me if I'm supposing something wrong..:-()
My project already supports command line arguments

sakumar79 said:
I think that process call in vb.net allows you to wait for the process to exit and then continue code processing... Is this what you are looking for? If so, I will check up further and get back to you...

Arun
What I'm trying to say is that, the executable I have expects the user to press a key after execution is complete. This way the executable has to be looked into.

Now I'm thinking of using QT for designing the interface. Anyone has experience with it?

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
If you dont want the executable to have the user press a key after completion, you should have the source code and edit it... AFAIK, there is no way you can simulate a keypress from one program for a diff program, even if you know when to press it...

Arun

OP
webgenius

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
sakumar79 said:
If you dont want the executable to have the user press a key after completion, you should have the source code and edit it... AFAIK, there is no way you can simulate a keypress from one program for a diff program, even if you know when to press it...

Arun
The executables from VC and DevC++ always expect the user to press a key at the end. Trying my hands on QT now. Maybe it'll be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom