need suggestions on mobile purchase ( newbie in cells) !

Which one should be opted for? (pls post details also)

• Nokia 5700

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • SE w810i

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Moto E6

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
Hi,
I am planning to buy a cell, for last few years I have been using a 1108 which was also my first cell phone..... so you can very well guess that I am not one of the guys with lots of mobile funda :)

Used the phone extensively for its basic original purpose i.e. to make calls & sms

Now if i buy a new mobile I wanna buy a moderately good one -
1) Ofcourse to make calls - I always call from cell even when I have landline around.
2) Will use it a lot for listening to music & video
3) Should be good enough cam for occasional snaps,
4) Should be hardy enough for my rough use.

primarily my budget was upto 8k but extended it to 10k.

I have browsed this forum & narrowed down to a few - namely SE w810i , MOTO E6, nokia 5700. dDonno if I missed any good one.

Basically I am a nokia fan but willing to try out others & hope not making a mistake.

(also i would like to know whats the current market price for 4GB MSPD)

So please suggest & help out this newbie (in cellphones) to make a good decision.

Regards,
~It_is_Andrew~

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
hmmmm..... I'm getting even more confused.......

A bit details please?

(also i heard w810i cant read pdfs/docs in a easy way)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
8k? Decent Cam, sturdy, nokia fan, need to open PDF files? Look no further and get Nokia 5500. The only place where you compromise is the screen size.

Its true that you can't open PDF files in W/K Series SE phones (except W950, W910 and W960i).

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
Thanx for the replies...

@infra_red_dude,
ya my primary budget was 8k but i am willing to spend more till 12 max if it worth it, thats why considered e6 & 5700 besides w810i

5500 is a bit older model isn't it?

I was seriosuly considering w810i but then these 'lack of support for playing other formats & softwares' got me into thinking..... (I would not mind modding, though I need to know much.....)

r2d2

Journeyman
Go for the n91 8gb, the ultimate music phone (at least sound quality wise), its symbian series 60 based and to top it all it only cost about Rs. 11000.

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
Thanx for all your replies ..... I almost decided going for SE w810i BUT :| -
I needed a very little insignificant feature of 'automatic keypad lock with password' which was not present in w810i & patching seemed all hebrew with different CIDs & patches not being available for all......(maybe someone can throw some light) ... & also support...

Its funny actually how much I would like that simple basic feature :p

So now I am thinking of going for a nokia with symbian OS.

1)So please suggest nokia(or ?) phones with recent symbian os preferebly in the price range of w810i yet upto 12k (maybe first & second choice) - hopefully they should support memory expansion of atleast 2 GB upto 4 GB

2)Does any of them have autofocus?

3) or any other suggestion you might wanna give even with w810i

Please reply.

Thanks & Regards,
~It_is_Andrew~

Last edited:

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
w810 has Autofocus , and i think none other have in the list . also the 'automatic keypad lock with password' feature is activated on my phone with just one patch , i have the patch for R1BC002 as

keylock_password_w800_r1bc002.vkp

R4EA031 might be the firmware you will get

i have Patch for that one too .
if you buy w810 i will help you in putting the patch . it is piece of cake (ut voids warrenty)

R4EA031 : 2006-09-25; Java version upped to 6.5
R4DB005 : Latest available available for SEUS; first documented 20-June: MR1
R4CM001 : first documented 9-June
R4CK003 : flashing bug fixed; camera version remains at 4.5; dropped calls problem for some operators fixed
R4CF002 :
R4CE012 : release version
R4CA026 : pre-release version

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
You can go for Nokia 5310 Xpress Music. It has automatic keypad lock among other features. Or you can buy 5700. Automatic keypad lock can be enabled in this phone by simply installing a software.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Look no further than Nokia 5700.
Pros:
#Latest symbian os 9.2 Feature pack 1
#Fastest processor on a nokia ever
#Good signal reception
#Good keypad for SMS typing.
Cons:
#Slight hard joystick
#Camera has no Autofocus.

rahuld

Broken In
i've been using w810i from past 3 months.. i got w810i after much reseaech on this forum and other places... u'll get great music and great cam at reasonable price ... the only prob is battery life it'll be dead with in 2 dayz... go ahead with 810 ...

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
Few last things...

1)could anyone provide any 'how to' to install java utility apps on w810i

2)Is w810i is a good enough phone for web bowsing (mainly email checking & little chatting & googling)?

3) Some say it support only upto @GB memory , some say it does up to 4GB , some say it does up to 4GB but most of the time freezes when 4GB is inserted. whats true?

4) How is the SE support? (in kolkata?)

will it be a better idea if i buy through 'themobilestore' - it seems they sell at higher price!?

Status
Not open for further replies.