need suggestions for a new system within 30k

droy0784

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,

I plan to purchase a new desktop for personal use. I will be using it primarily to watch movies, run multiple applications (pdf, excel, statistical packages like spss, eviews etc) simultaneosly, and some casual gaming like fifa, nfs, call of duty etc. I am not a hardcore gamer but would like to keep options open for future. I plan to use it for a long time, so need it to be future proof. Further, I am an absolute novice at hardware knowledge, so kindly enlighten me on such aspects; but I would prefer an intel processor. Do drop in with your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: watch movies, play music, run multiple applications (pdf, excel, statistical packages like spss, eviews etc) simultaneosly, high speed file transfer and some casual gaming like fifa, nfs, call of duty.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 30K, can stretch a bit if absolutely necessary.

4. Planning to overclock?
A: Clueless about it.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: At least 1 TB.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: would prefer an HD LED backlit monitor (at least 17'). Have no idea about the resolution required, please advice.

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 1.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: It has to be done by an assembler.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Within the next 1 month, may be even within the next 2 weeks.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Yes, but would be open to adding/changing components when required.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: I wouldn't be needing speakers, have a 2.1 intex IT2000.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Mumbai, would be buying from Lamington road.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: If graphics card is a necessity but beyond my mentioned budget, then I can add it later. Would definitely keep options open for it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
At a budget of 30K, AMD is the best option for you. HEre goes my suggestion:-

AMD Athlon II X4 635 (2.9 GHz, 2 MB L2 CAche) @ 4K
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @ 4K
Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz DDR3 4 GB single stick @ 2.4K
Seagate 1 TB HDD @ 2.6K
MSI HD 5770 1 GB GDDR5 @ 7K
Zebronics Bizli Cabinet without PSU @ 1K
FSP SAGA II 500W PSU @ 2.1K
CLG 22X DVD Writer @ 0.9K
BenQ G2220HD Full HD (1920X1080) display @ 7.3k
Logitech 3 Button Scrol Optical Mouse @ 0.3K
Logitech KB-200 @ 0.4K
Zebronics 1KVA UPS @ 2.7K

Total is 34.4K

If you want to reduce the price then get Dell IN2020M 20" display @ 6.5K, and Sapphire HD 5750 A 6.2K

OP
D

droy0784

Cilus, thanks for your suggestion.

I am not too confident about AMD processors, although I have very little knowledge about them. Won't I be able to fit in Intel Core i5 2500 SB + Intel DH67BL in my budget (got this from a separate thread, seemed to be a very popular choice, as a lot of digitians suggested this across threads)? I can compromise on the graphics card for now, if I have to. More importantly, would AMD Athlon suffice my need?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
I can compromise on the graphics card for now, if I have to.

So u can forget GPU for now?

If so,

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9500
Motherboard |Intel DH61WW|3300
RAM |Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz|2400
HDD |Seagate 1TB 7200.12|2600
DVD Writer |ASUS 24X SATA DVD|900
PSU |FSP Saga II 500W|2000
Case |NZXT Gamma|2000
Monitor |Benq G2220HD|7200
KB&M |Logitech MK100|500
UPS |Numeric 800VA|2500
Total ||32900

nilgtx260

Maximum Craze
Component Make Price
Processor Intel Core i3 540 5000
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H 4000
RAM Corsair 2GB 1333MHz 1050
HDD Seagate 1TB 2600
DVD Writer ASUS 24X SATA DVD 900
PSU Corsair VX 550 4600
Case NZXT Gamma 2000
Monitor Benq G2220HD 7200
KB&M Logitech MK100 500
UPS Numeric 800VA 2500
Total 30350

add gpu after it, that's why Corsair VX 550w I selected.

OP
D

droy0784

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs.
I'd like to know what's the difference between an AMD Athlon or an AMD Phenom, and i5 2500. One of my friends, who is a hardcore gamer, was suggesting AMD Phenom. I have an inclination towards intel I5 2500, as i read from the forum that it has many advantages over i5 2400.
I can increase my budget max. by another 5 grands to accomodate a higher performing processor & MOBO, as i don't want to invest in them in the near future. Other parts can be replaced as & when necessary. For example, if say 6 months down the line i purchase a high-end GPU, then my processor and MOBO should be able to support that. Kindly advice me on that.

newboss

Broken In
AMD phenom is able and suitable to OverClock (OC). where i5 2500/2400 (not K) is all-in-one kind of processor which hardly can be OC. mainly gamers prefers to run CPU faster with OC. so choice is ours. but one thing is sure i5 performs better than any AMD (in this range). IMO, its wise to get all-in-one kind of CPU which has integrated graphics as well. and good computing power.

I am considering to buy same procy in next 2-3 weeks.

manujohn

Journeyman
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2500|102500
Motherboard |Intel DH67 BL B3|5300
RAM |Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz|2400
HDD |Seagate 1TB 7200.12|2600
PSU |FSP Saga II 500W|2000
Case |NZXT Gamma|2000
KB&M |Logitech MK100|500
UPS |Numeric 800VA|2500
Total ||35450

Slightly edited mailme.manju's config.
Changed the processor as your wish to core i5 2500 and motherboard since you wanna the config futureproof. The mobo supports USB 3/SATA 6Gbps.
The monitor Benq G2220HD is not a LED backlighting one, but it's Full HD(1920x1080) so that you can enjoy full HD movies at their native resolution.
As your friend suggested Phenom is a great proccy for budget hardcore gamers and it's preferred over Athlon. But Intel's Sandy Bridge Proccys (your i5 2500) are preferred over (not always, but in most cases including your) Phenom and of course it is much futureproofing and gives more VFM (better graphics too).
For your needs an Athlon will do fine, but better go with core i5 and later add a GPU.

Last edited:
OP
D

droy0784

guys, thanks for your inputs.
Would mostly be going with manujohn's recommendation, just one last question remains. For playing games like fifa, nfs, call of duty etc, do i need a separate GPU, or integrated graphics would do fine? My gaming needs would be mostly be restricted to the above mentioned games, as I'm not that much into hardcore gaming.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
AMD phenom is able and suitable to OverClock (OC). where i5 2500/2400 (not K) is all-in-one kind of processor which hardly can be OC.

Non k-series cannot OC.. But faster than OCed Phenoms...

I'd like to know what's the difference between an AMD Athlon or an AMD Phenom, and i5 2500. One of my friends, who is a hardcore gamer, was suggesting AMD Phenom. I have an inclination towards intel I5 2500.
I can increase my budget max. by another 5 grands to accomodate a higher performing processor & MOBO

Athlon with L3 Cache is Phenom
Diff of i5 2400 & i5 2500 is Clock speed alone..

Would mostly be going with manujohn's recommendation, just one last question remains. For playing games like fifa, nfs, call of duty etc, do i need a separate GPU, or integrated graphics would do fine? My gaming needs would be mostly be restricted to the above mentioned games, as I'm not that much into hardcore gaming.

Ya u need a discrete GPU...
The above said PSU can power a 6850 with tat rig...
So anything more than 6850 needs higher PSU...

newboss

Broken In

more than enough . . refer this links . .
Intel HD Graphics 3000 and Intel HD Graphics 2000 Review. Page 7 - X-bit labs

*www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/11

OP
D

droy0784

So guys, what do you suggest? the budget could get shooting up in this manner. I don't have a problem with that, can go for another 5k if required, but what i am looking for is superior performance at the lowest price available, which would suffice my requirements, and do more. I don't have much knowledge about hardware, or none so at all to be honest, so am solely dependent on the digitians. If GPU need be included, so be it, but still i'd look at fitting it within my budget.
What Cilus was suggesting looked decent, except for the fact that I'm not too comfortable with an Athlon processor. Aren't they used to power the base-models in laptops and desktops? again, I could be wrong, so suggest me likewise. 35K would have been optimum including a GPU, so kindly suggest me the best configuration in that range. However, the ball lies in your court.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
AMD phenom is able and suitable to OverClock (OC). where i5 2500/2400 (not K) is all-in-one kind of processor which hardly can be OC. mainly gamers prefers to run CPU faster with OC. so choice is ours. but one thing is sure i5 performs better than any AMD (in this range). IMO, its wise to get all-in-one kind of CPU which has integrated graphics as well. and good computing power.

I am considering to buy same procy in next 2-3 weeks.

No matter how much you overclock the athlon 640 or phenom 2, they cannot give sandybridge level of performance. Same rule applies for gaming. The default speed of 2400 is 3.1ghz and that is fast for a quad core. No need for overclocking. The architecture is lot more efficient in sandybridge. The real threat will be bulldozer.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, Vicky is right...overclocking a Phenom II cannot provide you Intel Sandy Bridge level performance because of the superior architecture of it. Now one thing is if you gonna purchase a Sandy Bridge, the CPU+motherboard combo price will be higher and if you are in tight budget, you have to compromise in Graphics card...resulting not so good performance in Gaming.

So if you are planning to get the GPU after some time by increasing your budget, then Sandy Bridge is the way to go.

And
Aren't they used to power the base-models in laptops and desktops? again, I could be wrong, so suggest me likewise. 35K would have been optimum including a GPU, so kindly suggest me the best configuration in that range. However, the ball lies in your court.

It is completely wrong buddy...Laptop Athlons are completely different than Desktop models, so don't get confused. Athlon II X4 processors are very much efficient and their performance are better than to Intel Core2Quad 8400.

So if the total budget is 35K including everything, then AMD is the way to go. Get a 880G motherboard from brands like Asus, Gigabyte or MSI as they officially have confirmed that these mobos are gonna support upcoming Am3+ CPUs through BIOS update. In in future you can add the high performance Bulldozer processors to your rig.
Now for better performance I'm modifying my previous config a little:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (3.2 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 6 MB L3 Cache) @ 6.2K
Seagate 1 TB HDD @ 2.6K
Sapphire HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 @ 9.8K
Logitech KB-200 @ 0.4K

Total is around 40K. Now this is the best system you can get which will provide you optimum performance in all aspect. Phenom II 955 is capable enough to run all kind of applications you've mentioned. Now HD 6850 is a very powerful card and will provide you great performance in all the current generation games in 1080P resolution and the processor is powerful enough to handle the gfx card.
Although overclocking Phenom II can't catch the i5 2400's performance but still will give you some performance boost. I have used this processor before and it can be overclocked to 3.6 GHz without any issue with the stock cooler.

Last edited:
OP
D

droy0784

Now for better performance I'm modifying my previous config a little:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE (3.2 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 6 MB L3 Cache) @ 6.2K
Seagate 1 TB HDD @ 2.6K
Sapphire HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 @ 9.8K
Logitech KB-200 @ 0.4K

Total is around 40K. Now this is the best system you can get which will provide you optimum performance in all aspect. Phenom II 955 is capable enough to run all kind of applications you've mentioned. Now HD 6850 is a very powerful card and will provide you great performance in all the current generation games in 1080P resolution and the processor is powerful enough to handle the gfx card.

Cilus, thanks for the inputs. The config looks cool. Now suppose i replace phenom with i5 2500 and intel dh67bl mobo, would your prescribed GPU be a suitable fit, or do i need a better one? further, what's the difference in performance between i5 2500+dh67bl mobo & Intel Core i5 2400 & Intel DH61WW mobo config?
Also, i was surfing through the nzxt website, where they mentioned that the gamma cabinet has provisions for 3 cooling fans and more, whereas the other cabinets such as zebronics bijli and cm elite have no such provisions. So what do you suggest would be the best option among the three?

MegaMind

Human Spambot
what's the difference in performance between i5 2500+dh67bl mobo & Intel Core i5 2400 & Intel DH61WW mobo config?

DH67BL has sata 3.0, USB 3.0 which DH61WW lacks...
So the prices are DH67BL - 5.5K, DH61WW - 3.3K

But For 40K i recommend this config...

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400|9500
Motherboard |Intel DH61WW|3300
RAM |Gskill[ Ripjaws ] DDR3-1333(PC3 10666)(4Gx1)|2200
Graphic Card |Sapphire HD6850|9800
HDD |Seagate 500 GB|1700
PSU |FSP SAGA II 500|2100
Case |Zeb Bijli w/o psu|1000
Mouse and Keyboard |Logitech MK100|500