Need suggestions for a gaming/editing computer build for Rs 50,000/-

shebz7

Broken In
Hi I live Delhi and have been working advertising sector for 4 years and need to buy a system with the following requirements. I used to be an AMD fanboy and have build Athlon x2 and llano (APU) based systems for parents in the past but am aware of the recent performance superiority of Intel core I series. I was checking anandtech forums and their weekly 1000$ build suggestions but they keep going out of my budget and thus need your help for creating a build that can come under the Rs 50000 as there will be further costs of UPS and table and internet and wifi router etc…

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: This computer will be mainly used for gaming and watching movies for the first 3-4 months but I plan to re-learn editing and graphic software’s that I had learnt during my college days. Reason for that is I want to start a website and would like to design basic templates for it by myself. I have friends in production houses who will guide me in learning this as well.
Games like Batman Arkham city and its prequels sequels. Fifa and PES series Metro, BF3, CS:GO, COD black Ops2, Last of us and other new games that are upcoming like watch dogs and gta5. Am not a big fan of crisis and believe more in gameplay than graphics so medium range graphics are fine don’t want to play at 16 AA or at crazy 4k resolutions. Will be happy to play at 720p with decent frame rates without Anti-antialiasing.

Softwares like adobe premiere and Photoshop and also I am planning to learn Reason 5, fruity loops and Ableton live in the coming months, once I save some money to buy a midi keyboard and mic. :|

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Budget has been increased from earlier 40 - 45k to 50k now and that’s the max I can go at the moment. I am worried I will run out of cash to buy stuff like UPS, Desktop table, Internet and wifi router :-(

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Too scared so not really at the moment

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 8 with a multiboot setup with win xp so I can run some legacy apps like Sony Walkman’s sonicstage and play my all-time favorite game Max Payne 1.
Please don’t count the OS costs as I have a friend who will gift me the windows 8 license key as birthday gift :mrgreen:
Would also like to experiment with hackintosh as I have used macbook in the past and garageband was fun so if I can find a reliable hackintosh I can use mac for my musical lessons.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1 TB (I already have 1 Tb WD Essential portable usb drive which is full with data and thus would like to offload some of it on the machine.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes looking for a monitor that can handle HD movies. Preferably 22” Full HD LED one with HDMI video connectivity.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Speakers and headphones I have already and don’t want to buy.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Around 17-18th august weekend

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built one in the past during school days but that was a long time ago and thus would be getting an assembler to do it for me this time around.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I Live in Delhi and near Nehru place so will be buying parts from cost to cost or similar shop there. But yes I am open to buying parts from flipkart or theitwares if the specified product is not available locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Would not like to buy dated products and would prefer to have the latest generation. Need a good case gpu and motherboard advise as I am clueless about the importance of these in the overall build. I can understand benchmarks and tests for gpu/cpu but the importance of motherboards and power supply and cooling and case blows me out. Also gpu performance wise i will need guidance.
Also need wireless keyboard and mouse as I will sometime connect my CPU with the television to play games or watch movies on TV with friends and family (currently have a series 4 samsung 32 inch led tv)

My dream build would be something like this but alas I don’t have the money so please help
i5 4670 + Z87 mobo combo
DDR3 1600 8GB
WD 1TB
DVD Burner
500W psu
Cabinet for arnd 2000-3000 rs

But I believe in my budget I’ll get something like fx 6300 series but i am just worried that it wont be future proof or capable for the taks i have planned like music production or editing softwares and play game like watch dogs/gta 5

Thank you in advance for reading such a lengthy post and guiding in my purchase.

Cheers
Shebz

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
welcome to TDF :-D
here goes my suggestion
Fx 6300 - 7.2k
asus m5 a97 r2.0 -7k
gskill ripjaws X 8gb 1600mhz- 4.5k
amd ati hd 7870 - 16k
seasonic s12 ii 520 - 4k
asus 24b5st odd - 1k
dell s2240l - 8.5k
nzxt gamma - 2.5k
lenovo m6811 mouse- 0.65k
logitech keyboard - 0.3k

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
I use a local made normal wooden table 3' x 4' 5" costed me Rs. 600 + transport Rs. 100 in 2011. Similar computer table costed near to Rs.4000 at that time. So i would suggest get a normal table & keep the cabinet at floor. This should save some cost.

go with the above config. search for 7870xt if you can find one @18K go with that.
For UPS APC 1.1KVA ~Rs. 5000

OP
S

shebz7

Broken In
Thanks avinandan012 and rijinpk1 for the warm welcome and providing the suggestions.

I have some queries .

#1 Do i need a 520 watt psu - Electricity bills are anyways quite high here
#2 I don't want to buy a costly card like 7870 as 16-18 grand is too much ( i don't want to play games on ultra settings i am fine with medium to high quality with msaa disabled but yes GTA 5 is something i would like to play in the future and if that does not run on a card i buy now it would be really depressing later on)
#3 Isn't it better to go for a 4gb x 2 setup for ram as that will be helpful in future if one of them dies the computer will still stay alive.
#4 Are nzxt gamma cabinets easily available in nehru place market ?? if not can u suggest some alternatives which look little demonic and scary. You see we all dream of alienware :p
#5 I would like to go for wireless mouse and keyboard setup please suggest some which are good for FPS games.
#6 5k for a freaking UPS what has the world come to :(

Also thanks for the table tip i'll plan something like that only.

I will also buy a microsoft gaming controller to play fifa which will add to the cost so i need to save some money from the current recommended setup as its going above my 50 k budget.

And finally can i please have a Intel based config to compare so i can convince myself that i am not making a wrong decision of shelling out half a lac and going for a sub par rig.

Thanks
Shebz

OP
S

shebz7

Broken In
Also is the dell monitors IPS display good for gaming ??? and how about a geforce card something like 660
the results here AnandTech | Bench - GPU13 are quite in geforce's favour

Thanks avinandan012 and rijinpk1 for the warm welcome and providing the suggestions.

I have some queries .

#1 Do i need a 520 watt psu - Electricity bills are anyways quite high here
#2 I don't want to buy a costly card like 7870 as 16-18 grand is too much ( i don't want to play games on ultra settings i am fine with medium to high quality with msaa disabled but yes GTA 5 is something i would like to play in the future and if that does not run on a card i buy now it would be really depressing later on)
#3 Isn't it better to go for a 4gb x 2 setup for ram as that will be helpful in future if one of them dies the computer will still stay alive.
#4 Are nzxt gamma cabinets easily available in nehru place market ?? if not can u suggest some alternatives which look little demonic and scary. You see we all dream of alienware :p
#5 I would like to go for wireless mouse and keyboard setup please suggest some which are good for FPS games.
#6 5k for a freaking UPS what has the world come to :(

Also thanks for the table tip i'll plan something like that only.

I will also buy a microsoft gaming controller to play fifa which will add to the cost so i need to save some money from the current recommended setup as its going above my 50 k budget.

And finally can i please have a Intel based config to compare so i can convince myself that i am not making a wrong decision of shelling out half a lac and going for a sub par rig.

Thanks
Shebz

#1 a 520 W PSU does NOT consume 520W of power all the time the power consumed depends on the system's load and PSU's efficiency. For eg., I have a 430 W PSU but my system (including monitor) never consumes more than 200 W of power.

#2 You cnn buy GTX 660 which is available for ~13k at some places.

#3 RAM wont die that easy without brutal overclocking and an inch of dust cover.

#4 maybe. You can always buy online.

#5 Wireless mice and keyboard aren't recommended for gaming. Additionally, wireless mice is generally heavier and thau unergonomic in long run (trust me, you are gonna have RSI at some time unless you exercise).

#6 to high quality PSU's which are more efficient than the 3k alternatives and thus cheaper in long run and don't need a battery replacement every now and then. Don't even look at iball or numeric UPS'.

Cilus

laborare est orare
1st of all, HD 7870 is a better card than GTX 660. 2ndly, the cards suggested here to you (HD 7870 or GTX 660) are never meant to run all the new games at highest settings, they are necessary for getting good performance in 1080P resolution with mixture of high, medium and normal settings.
Regarding PSU, buddy, if you get high end components, you need good PSU too. And a 550W PSU does not mean it will always supply 550W power and draw from your circuit accordingly. It will supply as much power as needed by the system.
Regarding 4GB X 2 or 8GB X 1 Ram configuration, 4GB X 2 might perform slightly better in some applications due to dual channel configuration but that improvement is negligible in real life in most cases. If you look at the price, then 8GB X 1 configuration is more VFM. Add another 8GB later.

OP
S

shebz7

Broken In
Thanks harshill
I did not get your answer for ups what do mean by 3k alternatives and battery replacement for ups

Cilius I so want to steal your rig :p
On a serious note I understand your point regarding graphic cards although dies it mean these cards are old and will be outdated by say jan when next gen games start launching as I thought 7870 was the current gen ???

Also by your massive post counts I believe u have seen enough cases like mine and can u suggest an intel based config for my budget and also elaborate on my concern of dell's ips technology monitors

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Here you go config best suited to your budget.....

AMD FX 6300 -7500,
Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 -8000,
Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600MHz -2500,
Gigabyte HD7790 2GB OC -11300,
Antec VP550 -4000,
Asus 24B5ST DVD-RW -1000,
Dell S2240L 22" LED IPS -8500,
NZXT Source 210 Elite -2900,
Logitech G400 -1600,
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 KB -2000.
TOTAL -50,000.

Cilus

laborare est orare
welcome to TDF :-D
here goes my suggestion
Fx 6300 - 7.2k
asus m5 a97 r2.0 -7k
gskill ripjaws X 8gb 1600mhz- 4.5k
amd ati hd 7870 - 16k
seasonic s12 ii 520 - 4k
asus 24b5st odd - 1k
dell s2240l - 8.5k
nzxt gamma - 2.5k
lenovo m6811 mouse- 0.65k
logitech keyboard - 0.3k

+1 for this configuration. Placing a 6 Core Processor + HD 7870 is a great choice of hardware. For gaming @ 1080P resolution with high setting, HD 7870 is the best VFM card. Don't compromise on here for getting pricy peripherals likl very high end Mouse and Keyboard. Also the Lenovo M6811 mouse, don't get fooled by its cheaper price. It is a true gaming mouse with 1600 DPI refresh rate, Laser pointer (Yes, it is a laser mouse) and 5 porgrammable buttoons make it perfect for FPS and RPG gaming. Performance wise, it can be compared with Logitech G300, priced @ 1.3K

Last edited:

ankush28

Bazinga
IMO op should go for i5-4430 with b85 board....
as OP has nothing with overclocking so Any FX proccy or Z87 mobo will ne waste of money
i5 4430 12k
Asus B85M-G 6.6k
G.Skill ripjawsX 1600 MHz 4 GB 2.2k
WD Blue 1 TB 3.9k
Zotac GTX66013k
Antec VP450P 2.6k
NZXT Gamma 2.2k
Asus.24x Optical drive 1k
Dell S2240L 8.5k
Logitech K200 - 0.4k
Lenovo M6811 - 0.65k (available on flipkart)
Total 52.05k much better then FX 6300 rig ;)
get links frok my sig.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ankush, 7870 is not a 12K card, it is around 16K. And with i5 4430, Op can only accomodate a GTX 650 Ti Boost whereas with FX-6300, he is getting a 7870. Now no matter how superior i5 4430 is over FX-6300, it can't perform better than a FX-6300 + 7870 combination when paired with a GTX 650 Ti Boost.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Ankush, 7870 is not a 12K card, it is around 16K. And with i5 4430, Op can only accomodate a GTX 650 Ti Boost whereas with FX-6300, he is getting a GTX 650 Ti Boost. Now no matter how superior i5 4430 is over FX-6300, it can't perform better than a FX-6300 + 7870 combination when paired with a GTX 650 Ti Boost.
typo. It is 7870 ;-)

OP
S

shebz7

Broken In
#6 to high quality PSU's which are more efficient than the 3k alternatives and thus cheaper in long run and don't need a battery replacement every now and then. Don't even look at iball or numeric UPS'.

Can you please elaborate this point i did'nt get it

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think he was talking about UPS. Company like APC provides very good quality battery and offers 2 years of warranty over all the components whereas companies like Intex, Frontech offer only 1 year warranty for the battery. Now these low quality UPS can not be believed for long run, you might find battery issues after 1 year. In that case, you have to get a new battery which will increase the cost in long run.

OP
S

shebz7

Broken In
Hi Guys ,
So it all comes down to this

View attachment 11652
See the attached pic of the 3 configs

My points of concern are fx6300 + 7870 is an obvious winner when compared to i5 4430 + 650 TI in terms of gaming but when it comes to processing power or stuff like video rendering and adding multiple plugins in music editing software like reason will amd be a better option or not ? (although in my research i came to know that 4430 is a low end model of 4th gen intel chip and will be beaten hands down by third gen 3570 processor and i'd rather increase my budget by 3k and buy the 3570 then get this 4430 processor )

Secondly in PSU antec vp 450 and similar coolermaster ones are cheaper by 1000-1400 should i go for that ??
Also Zebronics ZEB-450 Gold 450 Watts PSU (Black) is for 850 bucks how is that so cheap ??

Thirdly keyboard and mouse - Can i buy LOGITECH/microsoft cordless KIT for around 2K bucks and for serious gaming buy the lenovo M6811 mouse and use it with the wireless keyboard as a gaming keyboard is not something i am looking for atm.

Looking for your suggestion and i hope the moderators approve this post quickly :p

Cheers
Shahbaz

ankush28

Bazinga
avoid cheap desi psu also avoid coolermasters. antec one is best in that price

NOW one more thing heared a lot that 4th gen performes merely 4-6% more then 3gens, its half truth Afaik there is a good enough increase in performence, also a good upgrade path for broadwell ;)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Regrading processing capabilities, FX-6300 performs similar to i5 2400. So I don't think FX-6300 can't handle your requirements. Now if you can spend 12K+ for Processor then why not FX-8350 or FX-8320. It beats i5 4430 in all the multi-threaded applications.
Ankush28, in performance front Hashwell is only 7% ahead on an average when compared to Ivy Bridge running at same clock speed. But for future upgrade path, you are right about Haswell based config.

Top Bottom