need suggestion in buying external harddisk

puli44

Chill
Hi,
i need to buy external usb HDD 1 tb with out powercable ,what are the factors that i have to look in ,
i mean hardware factors?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i'll pick Western Digital GoFlex for their seamless service. also try not to go for the glossy ones. don't handle well & it'll look like a piece of electronic brick.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
i'll pick Western Digital Seagate GoFlex for their seamless service. also try not to go for the glossy ones. don't handle well & it'll look like a piece of electronic brick.

corrected the silly mistake. :p

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Western Digital - bought a WD Elements 160GB in 2007 and its still working as well as it was on day 1 - no issues till now....

Also WD 1TB USB3.0 is available for ~5k.. B)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
The latest 1TB SE Elements drive no longer has a standard SATA interface. I took apart a drive today (date on drive is 06 APR 2010) and found that the USB port is now integrated to the drive itself and instead of a SATA interface there are 12 ATA-style pins that are covered by the LED. So if you want 1TB internally in your laptop, look elsewhere.

It looks like all 2011 models has moved to integrated usb.

this means if due to some unforeseen circumstances the connector on WD gets damaged then you can't recover your data by simply removing the hard disk & connecting it to another system even if hard disk itself is fine.i prefer to have the flexibility of removing HD from its case but if that is of no concern then WD is as good as seagate.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
OT: ^^ Buying another compatible USB connector helps in that case. Although opinion will differ from person to person. ;)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the usb connector is integrated on the hard disk itself so it can't be removed without physically destroying the joint.even if you do succeed you will need to solder a usb connector with exact specifications & voltage requirements which is very hard if not impossible.anyway as i already stated this is only to consider if you like the flexibility or plan to remove hard disk from case otherwise WD is a good option.

avadh.joshi

Right off the assembly line
u can buy seagate or wd ,both are good.i m now using seagate 500gb expansion drive. bt b careful, do not choose the drive with glossy(piano) finish as its looks good initially bt as time passes it'll become scratchy and spoiled.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
My suggestion would be getting an USB 3.0 1TB external HDD - Seagate Expansion will cost @ ~6.1k, WD Passport 6.8k and Toshiba @ 5.5k ;-)

Top Bottom