Need suggestion for DSLR

mastervk

In the zone
Hi ..I am planning to buy my first DSLR.I have some questions and need suggestions from experience members..

i have 2 options :
1: buy canon 1100d with kit lens,macro and zoom lens
2: buy canon 550d with kit lens only and buy macro and zooms lens later once i have learned slr techniques and really need them.

which one is better option?what are the limitations with canon 1100d ?
2 :can i take pictures of flowers and other small object with kit lens without needing macro?

3: is it better to buy offline or online?i have found online rates to be better?how is below rate ?

CANON EOS 550D DSLR CAMERA18-55 IS LENS 4-GB EOS CARRYING CASE 0% EMI @Rs10834/- | eBay

can someone suggest better offline store to buy in Chennai or Delhi?

any other camera better than above though but in same price range(like from nikon) ?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hi bro ...welcome to the forum :)

Your 2nd choice is definitely better...once u start using and get to know the techniques u will know for sure which type of lens is good for you :)

Yes u can take good pics of flowers without macro lens... but small object how much small??

No issue in online or offline ...if the product is sealed pack with all warranty and accessories
The link u provided is fine...he is power seller so no problem

In Nikon u can consider Nikon D5100+kit for now....it have better sensor and ISO then 550D

OP
M

mastervk

In the zone
Thanks sujoyp...

small object like ants,butterfly other insects..

what are the other accessories i should buy (like tripod,filters etc)

How important filters are for a beginner?

There is around 4K difference between 550D and D5100.Is there any significant advantage in buying Nikon.As a brand a prefer canon but if Nikon camera,lens and service is better than canon i might try Nikon d5100...

agyaat

Broken In
Thanks sujoyp...

small object like ants,butterfly other insects..

what are the other accessories i should buy (like tripod,filters etc)

How important filters are for a beginner?

There is around 4K difference between 550D and D5100.Is there any significant advantage in buying Nikon.As a brand a prefer canon but if Nikon camera,lens and service is better than canon i might try Nikon d5100...

Tripod is a must. Most people end up using rocks, parapet walls, stacks of books, bent friends and what not before they have the extra ordinary epiphany that a tripod solves their problem and they could have been wiser before. Buy a good enough one which stays stable and keeps the camera set safe while on it. You will be glad even if you upgrade to a better one and this lies with you.

Have any junk ass clear filter for the sake of protecting the front element of the lens. This means that for every lens you buy, include a budget for a clear filter.

As far as Canon Vs Nikon goes, both are neck and neck. Either one will be okay.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Actually there is slight better image quality and ISO support in D5100 but I will go for 550D :)

for insects u have to buy macro lens....there r other solutions for macro but need some practice...like manual 50mm+extension tube or using raynox adapters

Other accesories...u can get a basic tripod now and save for a better later or buy at least a 5-6k benro tripod and relax in peace untill u have a heavy gear :)

filters r not much useful to starters...once u go deeper in landscape photography filters make huge differences...but quality of filter matters...cheap filter decreses picture quality

binarycodes

ArchLinux Rocks!
Ah, I see!

But then 32.5 K isnt much of a discount, my local shop asked 34 for it and I was just casually asking the price :)

PS: Waiting for a price cut on the D7K :p

sujoyp

Grand Master
@binarycodes when did u ask for the price of 550D ....I think prices have increased everywhere and so this 32k price is very good

err u should wait for the D7000 price to be normal first ...before it was 52k for body now its nearly 58-59 for body :(

OP
M

mastervk

In the zone
Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions..

i have ordered 550D..

i will ask more questions once i get it :-o

OP
M

mastervk

In the zone
I got my 550D today. Please suggest necessary accessories ..
1:good quality tripod
2:lens filter or scratch guard

i have got 4GB sd card.I am thinking about getting 16GB card.please suggest a good and fast SD card.

sujoyp

Grand Master
To get a good quality tripod u have to keep a minimum budget of around 5k
Benro A-200EX + BH-00 is the cheapest among that . Link -> Gaffarbhai and Sons » A-200EX + BH-00

otherwise u can get any other low end tripod according to your need...Please check the tripod thread someone started for more information.

Good quality lens filter like ND, GND, UV, CPL are all costly . If u use cheap ones on the lens it will decrease the picture quality. soo if u r planing to get Rs.200-300 lens filters then better use it to protect front glass of lens and remove it when taking pics

16GB is too big to keep..I would say get 2 x 8GB is better idea...get sandisk ultra or sandisk extreme as per your budget

Tarun

In the zone
go with a 55oD with 135mm len and a 55mm prime len u might need a hood and CP filter (some people dont like it) u can go with a Sandisk Extreme 8 GB is enough for a spare u can take a another later :)

OP
M

mastervk

In the zone
Tnx sujoyp for your fast response :)

I will buy 8GB sandisk extreme..will buy another 8GB sandisk extreme later if required..

I am not sure about necessity of tripod.. if required i will guy a good quality ..
Benro A-200EX looks good.

OP
M

mastervk

In the zone
After full recharge how long default battery will last ?

Please suggest good and affordable macro lens for 550D..

Top Bottom