Need some suggestions about buying Pen Drive(flash drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
Hi,
I searched the forum before opening yet another 'need help on flash drive' thread....but with changing senario needed some updated comments.

I am planning to buy an pen drive/flash drive (i hope there r same & thers no other kind?).
probably of 1 GB.
I already own a 'juggad' portable laptop HDD; but as i opted for a cheap case for that im kind of paranoid carrying it all the time to everywhere & also I dont really wish to connect it to pcs which may contain viruses as i store imp files too in that HDD.

1)so first of all just a little comment on whether u think buying an pen drive will be a good idea or not & of what size?

2) would waiting make a big difference in the falling price of the pen drives soon enough or there is no point waiting?

Now I found most ppl recommending Transcend? I asked in the shop , they showed me a V30 flash drive for rs 1300. Was the price ok?

I searched tanscend website & found there are two series of flash drives there V series (V20 & V30) with lower speed & another high speed series.

3)I am kind of clueless about is there are any other difference between the two series than the speed ? & are the high speed ones available in here (kolkata) & what would be the price difference.

Please suggest ppl (please emphasize on company/performance/model details).
Thanks.

Last edited:

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
if it is mere data tht needs to be carried arnd...then pen drive is the best option

i dont think there would be much difference in terms data transfer rates...betweens v20 and v30

as far as the rate is concerned...it is pretty concievable

so trancend 1gb Rs 1300 ...should be ur choice

blademast3r

In the zone
1 gb transcend is the best u can go in for...i got one a month ago for 1150 Rs...Never go in for the cheaper no-name pen drives which u get for half the price..

aadipa

Padawan
V30 is a low speed version, for mass market (Read 9~10 MByte/s, Write 2 MByte/s - Source). Can any1 having this tell me its actual performance? What time it take to copy a 700 Mb file (a common CD ISO) on an empty drive?

I have a old JetFlash 2.0 which claims high-speed (Read 11 MByte/s, Write 9 MByte/s) and takes about 2 min 30 sec to copy 700 MB file. I would like to compare the actual speed as I am thinking of upgrading to 2GB version.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@aadipa: it takes around 7 minutes to copy 700 MB (around 1 min per 100 MB).

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
i searched in the shops they are mainly storing this V30 everyone... in only one shop i could find JetFlash 120 (~ same price)...... coudlnt find any other model....could not find kingston anywhere.
so what is the deal with the low speed V30 & other models(unavailable). Is V30 inferior to the hi speeds (but then why they would be same price & widely available).Or there is some other catch.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
There is a LOT of difference in speed of V30 and HighSpeed (120 etc) drives! But how can you get both at same price! Go for 120 if you getting it at same price!

aadipa

Padawan
There may be difference with warranty.

Also the difference is only in write speed, not in read speed.

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
kalpik said:
There is a LOT of difference in speed of V30 and HighSpeed (120 etc) drives! But how can you get both at same price! Go for 120 if you getting it at same price!

thats what i was thinking....... in this city i searched quite a few shops , all are storing Transcend V30 (no one is storing any other model for 1GB Transcend & noone either storing Kingston ). All are asking 950+ to 1050+ for the V30.
In only one small shop i found Transcend 120 IGB for 980+ or close. So either they are selling off V30 at high price or that shop selling 120 for less price(?!)

Thats why I'm confused about whether there are any other difference in these series like in longivity or warranty ( apart from speed) & will i be making a any mistake buying the 1Gb 120 instead of V30 cause market is sure flooded with V30s.

OP
~It_is_Andrew~

~It_is_Andrew~

Journeyman
i already did searched that website (first thing i did)... but not much info aqbout my specific questiopn is there so posted here.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
i hva a q about flash drives substituting memory...
now a flash drive costs less than a memeory module. And windows vista comes with thr ready boost provision where a flash drive can be used as memory. So now if i do that, will there be any significant boost in my machine speed???.. is there any limit uptill which i'll be able to add ram to the machine?
jus wondering....

cooldude

Broken In
Many of my friends use kingston 1gb got i 4 around 1000 bucks has a decent speed but i would prefer transend givès more speed & relibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom