Need software which can determine health of Internal HDD

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have couple of Internal HDD's with me and would want to check their health i.e. if they have bad sectors or how long it's gonna last.
Do we have any software for this? or is there any other way to determine the life remaining for HDD.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
So Crystal Disk can tell be how soon my HDD is gonna die?

No software can tell you that. But if you get even a single bad sector (look at Uncorrectable Sector Count raw hex values and convert them from base 16 to base 10), your HDD becomes a time bomb without a timer. Bad sectors keep on increasing and you won't know when the HDD would die.

It would be better to send them for RMA as soon as you know about a bad sector and ask for a new HDD in replacement. Seagate gives refurbished ones and I don't trust them anymore after my 1tb expansion died within 5-6 months post RMA.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
HDD sentinel can give or at-least shows estimated lifetime remaining of a HDD. Test your HDD with manufacturers diagnostic tool as it's the best thing which can tell you if your HDD is okay to use or not. Other than this I would go with [MENTION=145143]SaiyanGoku[/MENTION] post about bad sectors Uncorrectable sectors.

Anyway, I've used a HDD with 31 uncorrectable sectors and the thing is still working :D

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
I was looking for same thing. My problem was, i used to get lot BSODs, which i ignored and restarted the system and played DOTA 2. I had no issues then. But after sometime I didn't start PC for probably a week. Then started the PC, it was too slow. I mean the RED light on CPU was continuously on and not blinking at all. After system taking 10 minutes to start, then slowly it started to blink, and system was not responding with the normal speed. It took some 15 secs to open my computer. I couldnt even browse i.e if i open multiple tabs on chrome, browser used to hang, and respond after another 10 secs or so. I really getting frustrated... I run HD tunes software, i started with benchmark, and on half way it said couldn't read the block or something like that. I want to know if my HDD life is ending? Will my problem solve if i get new hdd. Is there any chance of system getting bottlenecked if i buy new one?
My System Config:
AMD Athlon II X4 620
WD Blue 500GB
Kingston 800MHz RAM
Biostar TA790GXB a2+
Cooler Master 450w Extreme Plus (not sure)
Zotac 9600GT 512MB

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure your HDD is at fault here but before getting into any conclusion check the usual things like sata port, sata cable, sata power cable and the PSU. After this check your HDD using HDD manufacturers tool as they give options to repair bad sectors - if possible without booting into windows . If you see too many bad sectors it's better to not to use the HDD.

Once I had faced such issue just because of just one bad sector which was fixed using seatools though and the HDD ran fine after that.

If you buy a new HDD your system won't be bottlencked. The performance will improve and look for 1TB HDD atleast if you are going to get a new one.

IronCruz

ICE COOOOL!!!
Sure your HDD is at fault here but before getting into any conclusion check the usual things like sata port, sata cable, sata power cable and the PSU. After this check your HDD using HDD manufacturers tool as they give options to repair bad sectors - if possible without booting into windows . If you see too many bad sectors it's better to not to use the HDD.

Once I had faced such issue just because of just one bad sector which was fixed using seatools though and the HDD ran fine after that.

If you buy a new HDD your system won't be bottlencked. The performance will improve and look for 1TB HDD atleast if you are going to get a new one.

Thanks for the comment man. I ran Error Check in HD Tunes S/w, it showed one bad sector, i didnt complete the scan though. But i had downloaded some tools from WD, it gave me some message which didnt sound good (i dont remember the message). Also, i installed Tune Up Utilities few weeks back, and ran a Quick Defragment, after the process, the HDD ran normally without any lag or freeze. But after a restart next day the same problem occured again.

Top Bottom