need software to fix HDD Bad Sector

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
hi,
i need some good software for fixing my hdd bad sectors.... i know about windows chkdsk, but any other speedy and good software available?? if yes, please give details....
thanx....

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Hiren's Boot CD. provides a Disk Scan softwares, which you can perform, after you boot from the disks, along with many other useful utilities.
Source: Hiren's BootCD 14.0 - All in one Bootable CD » www.hiren.info

HDD Scan 3.3
HDDScan is a Low-level HDD diagnostic tool, it scans surface find bad sectors etc.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Bad sectors are marked by software such as scandisk. As the program is testing the data occasionally it hits an area on the disk that cannot normally be read - hence it is marked as 'bad'.

Normally these things cannot be removed as they are actual physical imperfections on the disk. Be aware that if these show up during scans, your disk may be approaching the end of it's life, backup and check frequently!

However, scandisk and some other programs are not perfect and they occasionally will mark sectors as bad even though they are not.

Still some titles I have found/heard that are useful are Spinrite, HDD REgenerator and Flobo HDD Bad Sector Repair.

The software suggested by vineet369 is also quite useful and it's free :D.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
+1 at Vignesh B, for suggesting that disk maybe at the end of its life.
So, back up your data ASAP.
Believe me, my hard disk is in crash state right now, and I am not able to recover data from it. It's not a good feeling. :(

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Tech.Masti - if you have a seagate HDD then download Seatool bootable version and perform a full scan with it - it will scan the HDD and give you option to fix them as well ;-)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@ Tech.Masti - if you have a seagate HDD then download Seatool bootable version and perform a full scan with it - it will scan the HDD and give you option to fix them as well ;-)

yeah right..each manufacturer (Seagate,Samsung,WD) has their own set of HDD tools :mrgreen:

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@OP u can try to use that drive if it doesn't have sensitive data it think u should go with topgear suggession if u have a segate/maxtor HDD i have fixed a few HDDs with that tool

OP
Tech.Masti

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
thanx everyone ......

BTW, i have WD 500GB HDD, somedays ago, my microtek 800ups suddenly sparked and burned....:(, so i had used pc directly without any ups, so lots of illegal shutdown happens for more than 2weeks....:( so i want to check if any bad sector already created by that or not....... where i can get WD hdd tools...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
thanx everyone ......

BTW, i have WD 500GB HDD, somedays ago, my microtek 800ups suddenly sparked and burned....:(, so i had used pc directly without any ups, so lots of illegal shutdown happens for more than 2weeks....:( so i want to check if any bad sector already created by that or not....... where i can get WD hdd tools...

That's the worse thing you can subject your PC too! Running PC on direct power, is NEVER safe. Do yourself and your PC a favor. Buy a UPS, or don't use it until you can buy one!

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
That's the worse thing you can subject your PC too! Running PC on direct power, is NEVER safe. Do yourself and your PC a favor. Buy a UPS, or don't use it until you can buy one!

UPS is always recommended...but not so mandatory...
but its required when there are frequent power shutdowns...:mrgreen:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
UPS is always recommended...but not so mandatory...
but its required when there are frequent power shutdowns...:mrgreen:

Ever heard of Power Spikes? Yeah, those happens too. And if ever such spike occurs, and your PC is w/o UPS, its DEAD mate. Yups, D.E.A.D!

Top Bottom