Need router to connect desktop and tablet

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have recently purchased a tablet which I would want to connnect to internet using WI-FI. Currently useing Belkin G wireless router of friend to connect both dekstop and tablet but I need to buy one for myself. So can I have some suggestions.

I have ADSL routers from BSNL and airtel however since I have Beam Cable now which is fiber connection I don' think I can connect using these existing routers.

Will be primarily using to connect desktop and tablet for connection only in the same room or at the most same floor.

I read somewhere that G Routers are little outdated. I wouldn't like to shell out much money.

So what are my options?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I would need the router mostly to connect to my tab or my mobile mostly in the same room or max same floor. Ideally would want anything which doesn't cost much. I have one that I'm using currently Belkin G Wireless router(friend) which is supposed to be 1.1k. Is it good enought?

G router is good enough for your needs. Choose from Linksys, Netgear or Belkin (in that order of preference). Since I have worked for linksys in the past, obviously, I'm biased. ;)

A few months ago, I bought a Linksys WRT120N from ebay for 1700 INR including the shipping. Very satisfied with the purchase. I use it to access internet on my macbook (wireless/wired), a windows pc (ethernet/wired, on ground floor), a Nokia E63 (wireless) and a galaxy fit (wireless). The wireless signal reaches from the ground floor to the second floor (haven't tested beyond that).

It'd be a wise decision to spend a little bit more and invest in an n router though.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Buy a N router to be more 'future proof' and if your devices support 802.11n then file transfer speed between two computers will increase a lot.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
To sum up if u get an n router over G u will get
1.Better speeds
2.Better Range
3.Dual band(u can switch to 5ghz decreases interference)
4.Future proof

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Thanks all for your suggestions. Since I'm a little tight on the budget I will have to wait for sometime and as suggested by you all I will go for the N series router.

Also guys wanted to check using the wireless router will I be able to connect my tablet or mobile to my Desktop. If so please let me know how to do this.

I may switch to other internet provider(BSNL/Airtel) maybe ADSL so in that case this router may not be useful. I already have a wireless router for ADSL connection.

So will take a call based on this.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
mithun in the post above yours I have given a link which gives details about a WIFI adapter. Do you think it will serve my purpose?

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
yes u can use that with connectify to connect the tab & mobiles but i suggest to get the router itself rather than the adapter even a g router will give u better performance than the adapter
TP-LINK 54Mbps wireless router TL-WR340G -3yrs wrnty | eBay

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Ok Guys I'm ready to shell out more money and go for something under 2k.
Kindly let me know the best model available.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Bhaiyya Mithun firstly I was planning around 1k now I thought something around 1.8k aur aapne to ek dum 2k bol diya.

Top Bottom