Need Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Cabinet,HDD and SMPS @ 15-17K

abhi01786

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Mainly downloading and end office work.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Yes.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 15-17K

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win XP or Win 7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: Already have Samsung 17" CRT non flat monitor n will be interested in using that

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 4

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Yes

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Within a month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: 2 years future proofing.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Only need Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Cabinet,HDD and SMPS.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Delhi or Jaipur. Will prefer local dealer.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: Configuration shud be intel processor(preferably i3) n original motherboard(shud hav pci express 16 slot for future graphics cards) based. interested in goin for fsp saga ii 500w, nzxt gamma, corsair XS3 ram - please suggest.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Here goes my suggestion:-

AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 4K
Corsair 4 GB 1600 MHz XMS3 @ 2.4K
GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 @ 2.55K
Seagate 500 GB SATA @ 1.7K
NZXT GAMA @ 2K
FSP SAGA II 500W @ 2K

Total 14.65K. This option will more than enough to serve the current purpose and very good future upgrades also. At this budget, it will perform better than any Intel Config. In fact with rest of the 4K you can add HD 5670 512 MB @ 4K to make it a budget gaming rig.

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
pretty well compiled by cilus
no tweaks required in the above config
just one suggestion
OP can go for 2gb stick for now and spend the 1k on a better motherboard (just a thought)
however the motherboard mentioned above will fulfill his needs

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
guys i faced prob of short wire with fsp saga II 400 and cm elite 430.
so verify if fsp saga II 500 has long cables as gamma is also bottom psu mounted cabby.

OP
A

abhi01786

Broken In
guys i wuld like to spend a little more on motherboard......so i can go for Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H (provided it shud meet my requirements). does this MB supports 1600MHz ram.....please clarify?
also suggest gud 2.1 surround speakers for this configuration, budget @3k
can i go for 645......instead of 630??

i was asking for intel based configuration because this machine wil b used in jaipur(summer temp ~ 45-48C), with no air cooling in tat particular room. heard tat AMDs have high running temp......please comment

Piyush

Lanaya
guys i wuld like to spend a little more on motherboard......so i can go for Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H (provided it shud meet my requirements). does this MB supports 1600MHz ram.....please clarify?
also suggest gud 2.1 surround speakers for this configuration, budget @3k
can i go for 645......instead of 630??

i was asking for intel based configuration because this machine wil b used in jaipur(summer temp ~ 45-48C), with no air cooling in tat particular room. heard tat AMDs have high running temp......please comment

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H costs around 5k (will fulfill your req. and also includes USB3 and sata 3)
yes it supports 1600mhz RAM kits

this would be fine for you
Altec Lancing VS4621Speaker

645 have 300mhz bump over 630 and the price gap is around 1k-1.5k
also 630 is not easily available, 635 is there in shops @ 4k

AMD will be fine there
you just need a good cabinet and couple of 120mm fans to keep it cool
AMD dont have high running temps
its a myth

OP
A

abhi01786

Broken In
Can i use AMD Phenom II X4 840-HDX840WFGMBOX or AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) with Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H mobo.

Keeping apart VFM, another config comes to my mind......
Processor - Intel Core i5 2400
Motherboard - Intel DH67BL-B3
RAM - Corsair 4 GB 1600 MHz XMS3
HDD - Seagate 500GB 7200.12
PSU - FSP SAGA II 500W
Case - NZXT GAMMA
i know its higher value config.....but wil it be future proof??
wat is sandybridge cpu's??

Please suggest n comment.

OP
A

abhi01786

Broken In
Can u tell me part wise cost of i5 in delhi??
And please tel me wat is sandybridge pro??

Can i use AMD Phenom II X4 840-HDX840WFGMBOX or AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) with Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H mobo

Please mention the cost of pros??

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
phenom 840 is kinda athlon bcoz it does nt have l3 cache memory..955 will overshoot ur budget..so go with athlon..there is nothing like sandy bridge pro (professional)..it must be sandy bridge processor :D which is 2nd generation core series of i3, i5 and i7..

saswat23

Human Spambot
This is the cheapest intel config I could think of:
Intel i5-2400 @ 9k
Intel DH61WW @ 3.6k
Corsair Value RAM 2GB @ 1.1k
WDC Blue 500GB @ 1.7k
FSP SAGAII 350W @ 1.5k
CM 310 Elite @ 1.5k
Total --- 16.5k

rohitshakti2

In the zone
This is the cheapest intel config I could think of:
Intel i5-2400 @ 9k
Intel DH61WW @ 3.6k
Corsair Value RAM 2GB @ 1.1k
WDC Blue 500GB @ 1.7k
FSP SAGAII 350W @ 1.5k
CM 310 Elite @ 1.5k
Total --- 16.5k

+1 for the above configuration. Just one suggestion, if u have some more money to put, get a better SMPS like FSP Saga II 500w which costs Rs.2000/- or Corsair CX400 (Best in budget category) for Rs.2400/- as it will be sufficient for future upgrades.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can u tell me part wise cost of i5 in delhi??
And please tel me wat is sandybridge pro??

Can i use AMD Phenom II X4 840-HDX840WFGMBOX or AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) with Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H mobo

Please mention the cost of pros??

You can use all the current AMD CPUs up to Phenom II X6 with this mobo. Check here:-

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket AM3 - AMD 880G - GA-880GMA-UD2H (rev. 2.2)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
AM3 socket supports X4 & X6 as well as new bulldozer too.

I think AM3 sockets won't support the Bulldozer, its the AM3+ socket which will support Bulldozer. Read here:-

AMD Unveils Bulldozer and Bobcat Core Designs - Bulldozer - CPUs, Boards & Components by ExtremeTech

And here:-

Bulldozer (processor) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Socket AM3+ (AM3b)
- 942pin, DDR3 support
- will retain backward compatiblity with Socket AM3 motherboards (as per motherboard manufacturer choice and if BIOS updates are provided[19][20]), however this will be unsupported by AMD themselves and any such support would be considered "experimental"; AM3+ motherboards will be backward compatible with AM3 processors[21].

Cilus

laborare est orare
Some of the AM3 mobos based on AMD 8XX chipset are also going to support Bulldozer after some BIOS upgrade. ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI have confirmed this for some of the mobos. Mine is also gonna support AM3+ CPUs with the latest 1.40 BIOS.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@cilus

Not only 8xx but even 7xx chipset can get Bulldozer support with BIOS update. For MSI, see here:-

MSI announce support for AMD FX and Bulldozer with BIOS updates - www.nordichardware.com

But so far, I am yet to see Gigabyte supporting its AM3 mobos with BIOS update, particularly the model in question, GMA-UD2H.

OP
A

abhi01786

Broken In
@all - please suggest gud 2.1 surround speakers for listening music n watching movies @ 3K. Shud have gud bass control n magnetic shielding.

My final configuration -
Pro - AMD Phenom II X4 955 (Black Edition) @6.0K
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 or Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H @4.3K - 5.5K
SMPS - FSP SAGA II 500W @2.0K
RAM - Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit TW3X4G1333C9A G or Gskill [Ripjaws] DDR3-1333(PC3 10666)(4Gx1)@ 2.4K
CABINET - NZXT GAMMA @2.0k
HDD - WDC Blue 500GB @1.7K

Guys, all suggest some gud mono laser printer n photo printer(for printindg4x6") - monthly prints will be around 400 on each printer. Shud b cheap n running cost shud b less (Preferably HP make).

Thank you all

Last edited:
Top Bottom