Need Information Regarding A Seasonic Power Supply

vwad

In the zone
Hello Friends,

A colleague of mine in office has decided on following config and asked me to advice him regarding PSU. He said he was told by his computer guy to buy Seasonic SS-850AT 850W but he and I, both of us are not sure whether it will be 1) Good or 2) Bad or 3) Insufficient or 4) Overkill

Therefore I need your help here regarding this problem.

The config is as below:

i7-2600k
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z
2 X GTX 580
Dell ST2220L
2TB Hitachi Deskstar

Is this info enough or should I add more of anything ? Also Suggest A Good Cabinet.

Budget for PSU and Cabinet in total is 12k.

& Are BD RW drives worth investing in at this moment ?

Regards,
Vinayak

jsjs

Journeyman
Sli'ed 580s, i think you need more than that

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
For the cabinet, get a CoolerMaster HAF 932/922 cabinet as u are goin with SLi config, so a good air flow is a MUST

Opt for a Readymade Liquid Cooling setup like H60/H70/CoolIT's ALC etc rather than Air cooler/heatsinks (coz maintaining low and stable temps for the CPU is a MUST) jus my 2 cents... :)

For the PSU go in with a min of 900W rating PSU say from Corsair...

and u will be good to go...

Cilus

laborare est orare
For GTX 580 SLI, you need at least a 900W premium PSU. Corsair TX950 is a good choice and so do Glacialtech 950W 80+ Silver Moduler PSU @ 6K in smcinternational.in. But I think something over 1000W will be a real safe buy. My suggestion is FSP Everest 80 Plus 1010 Watts @ 7.7K in Lynx-india. It can provide upto 981 W to the 12V rail and can easily handle 580 SLI.

Now I have some suggestion for your friend. GTX 580 is a very powerful card and it can play all games in their highest possible setting in 1920X1080 resolution, the resolution your friend intends to game as ge is buying a Full HD 22" display. 580 SLI is advantageous in Multi-Monitor setup, resolution over 1080P or in 3D gaming.
My suggestion is get a very good 24" display like DELL ST2420L 24" LED monitor and for now ditch the idea of 580 SLI. Another reason is that in this November, AMD is going to launch their completely new architecture based 7000 Series card which will make the mighy 580 looks like a mid-range card. So get a single GTX 580 now.

jsjs

Journeyman
And as for BD, it depends on you. If you like to watch a lot of movies and all then you can buy it, even then i consider downloading them is better choice

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
For GTX 580 SLI, you need at least a 900W premium PSU. Corsair TX950 is a good choice and so do Glacialtech 950W 80+ Silver Moduler PSU @ 6K in smcinternational.in. But I think something over 1000W will be a real safe buy. My suggestion is FSP Everest 80 Plus 1010 Watts @ 7.7K in Lynx-india. It can provide upto 981 W to the 12V rail and can easily handle 580 SLI.

Now I have some suggestion for your friend. GTX 580 is a very powerful card and it can play all games in their highest possible setting in 1920X1080 resolution, the resolution your friend intends to game as ge is buying a Full HD 22" display. 580 SLI is advantageous in Multi-Monitor setup, resolution over 1080P or in 3D gaming.
My suggestion is get a very good 24" display like DELL ST2420L 24" LED monitor and for now ditch the idea of 580 SLI. Another reason is that in this November, AMD is going to launch their completely new architecture based 7000 Series card which will make the mighy 580 looks like a mid-range card. So get a single GTX 580 now.

Hmm. Thanks a lot for thorough reply. Yes, I guess should advice him on buying FSP and wait for GPU.

Thanks again cilus bro...

Hmm. I also had the same feeling in the beginning but was not sure about it.

For the cabinet, get a CoolerMaster HAF 932/922 cabinet as u are goin with SLi config, so a good air flow is a MUST

Opt for a Readymade Liquid Cooling setup like H60/H70/CoolIT's ALC etc rather than Air cooler/heatsinks (coz maintaining low and stable temps for the CPU is a MUST) jus my 2 cents... :)

For the PSU go in with a min of 900W rating PSU say from Corsair...

and u will be good to go...

WOW, Thanks, I had totally forgotten about Cooling. :doh: Guess he will need to shell out more ;) Thanks for the cabinet suggestion, just checked on CM website, it looks wonderful. :)

And as for BD, it depends on you. If you like to watch a lot of movies and all then you can buy it, even then i consider downloading them is better choice

Yeah, but the problem is that his father is very strict regarding telephone and net bills so he has to have a low speed connection :doh: :D

jsjs

Journeyman
One more thing to consider- as cilus said HD7xxx series is near why not get a 6950 2GB for now. You can later buy the new gpu. Then again you dont need liquid cooling for that i7, air setup like Noctua NHD-14 is enough. For case get something like CM HAF 932 advanced or NZXT Phantom

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
One more thing to consider- as cilus said HD7xxx series is near why not get a 6950 2GB for now. You can later buy the new gpu. Then again you dont need liquid cooling for that i7, air setup like Noctua NHD-14 is enough. For case get something like CM HAF 932 advanced or NZXT Phantom

But, what about later when he needs to SLI/Crossfire ? OR do you both mean 7xxx single card will be performing like GTX 580 SLIed ? :confused:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually SLI or Crossfire of the highest end cards are required for Multi-monitor setup where the resolution is higher than 1920X1080. Upto 1080P, you can get any of the top performing cards or Multi-GPU of two higher-midrange cards. For example CF of two HD 6950 will provide you far higher performance than a GTX 580, even closer to a dual GPU HD 6990.
I don't think a single 7000 series card will perform better than GTX 580 SLI but the possibility is even a single mid-range 7000 series card may get past 580, so multi-gpu solution will be far higher than 580 SLI in lower cost.

sukesh1090

Adam young
@op,
my suggestion is wait for the 7xxx series.for now you buy a low cost card and later get a high end 7xxx card.
hamesha sabar ka phal mitha hota hai:wink::p

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
@op,
my suggestion is wait for the 7xxx series.for now you buy a low cost card and later get a high end 7xxx card.
hamesha sabar ka phal mitha hota hai:wink::p

sabar ka phal Hardware mein mitha nahi door jata rahta hai :wink: :p

Actually SLI or Crossfire of the highest end cards are required for Multi-monitor setup where the resolution is higher than 1920X1080. Upto 1080P, you can get any of the top performing cards or Multi-GPU of two higher-midrange cards. For example CF of two HD 6950 will provide you far higher performance than a GTX 580, even closer to a dual GPU HD 6990.
I don't think a single 7000 series card will perform better than GTX 580 SLI but the possibility is even a single mid-range 7000 series card may get past 580, so multi-gpu solution will be far higher than 580 SLI in lower cost.

Hmm. Guess I will ask him to wait so that we can compate 7xxx along with GTX 580 and future counterparts of nVidia if any :)

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Investing so much money in 580 GTX SLI for a Single Monitor setup is bad idea and with 7xxx not so far away its become even worse.

Rather settler for a 6870-6950 for now and jump on CFX when Multi Monitor Setup is there and 7xxx is out.

It would really hurt to see 2 10K 7xxx Card in CFX topping a 580 SLI which cost more than 2-3 times of that. (Speculation but not much away from reality hopefully)

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
Investing so much money in 580 GTX SLI for a Single Monitor setup is bad idea and with 7xxx not so far away its become even worse.

Rather settler for a 6870-6950 for now and jump on CFX when Multi Monitor Setup is there and 7xxx is out.

It would really hurt to see 2 10K 7xxx Card in CFX topping a 580 SLI which cost more than 2-3 times of that. (Speculation but not much away from reality hopefully)

Yes. Quite Justified Decision this will be. :) Thanks man. :)

Piyush

Lanaya
dont go for SLI too early
SLIing/Xfiriing should be done only when required
and do get a good monitor(read 24" or more)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
WOW, Thanks, I had totally forgotten about Cooling. :doh: Guess he will need to shell out more ;) Thanks for the cabinet suggestion, just checked on CM website, it looks wonderful. :)

Yup, never forget abt cooling ur h/ware wen there's so much heavy duty anad expensive components waiting to be cooled.. :)

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
hehehe...I'm fine ...

btw can abybody tell me about a good shop in kolkata where old and working PC parts can be sold off?

Will contact borx12 if he is available on FB regarding this, he might be knowing.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@OP: if your friend is SLI'ing two 580s then he is simply wasting money & power of 580s.

Are BD RW drives worth investing in at this moment

Answer will depend on your/friend's need. If it is too much imp that you/he can't live without then buy it. Otherwise my answer will be no.

OP
vwad

vwad

In the zone
@OP: if your friend is SLI'ing two 580s then he is simply wasting money & power of 580s.

Answer will depend on your/friend's need. If it is too much imp that you/he can't live without then buy it. Otherwise my answer will be no.

Ok. I will convey this to him. Actually his computer guy told him all those things and looks like that guy is dumb. :doh:

Top Bottom