Need help with my UPS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have APC UPS which off late is giving me some trouble. The problem maybe due to low power voltage in our area. Especially during night time my UPS starts beeping just how it will beep if its on back up. The amber light flashes on it constantly and later it switches off the whole PC. Is this because the UPS is unable to handle such low voltage and hence its switching off? When I asked the APC guy he told me that the range my UPS supports may not be within the current power supply range. He suggested me to buy a better APC UPS which has the option of controlling the voltage using software. Apart from reporting about the power fluctuation to the nearby Power Station. What are the other workarounds for my problem? Waiting for your suggestions on the same.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Replace the Battery... the Battery is Dead and Out ;)
My UPS stopped working the other day and I had that replaced with another one since it was in warranty. I don't think the problem is with the battery coz during afternoon and early evening the UPS works fine. Its only in the night and early morning it troubles me.

Termin@L

Broken In
or take it to some other place say 2 a friend (with no power problem) n FULLY charge da UPS n check.
if da pb persists thn as mrintech sez...change da battery..

mrintech

Technomancer
My UPS stopped working the other day and I had that replaced with another one since it was in warranty. I don't think the problem is with the battery coz during afternoon and early evening the UPS works fine. Its only in the night and early morning it troubles me.
Your Supply has proper Earthing? Check for Earthing...

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
or take it to some other place say 2 a friend (with no power problem) n FULLY charge da UPS n check.
if da pb persists thn as mrintech sez...change da battery..

Right now at this time it's working perfectly all right! The light is steady green which indicates everything is fine. The problem happens between 7pm to 11 PM and in the early morning between 7AM-8 AM.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
Your Supply has proper Earthing? Check for Earthing...
Earthing is fine.

Last edited:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
To the OP: Your first guess is probably correct. That is, your mains voltage goes very low at certain times of the day, so low that your UPS thinks there is no mains power. It goes into battery backup mode (the beeping is a sure sign); the battery gets drained after some time and the UPS switches itself off.

If you have a multimeter or can borrow one, measure your mains voltage both when everything is normal and when your UPS is beeping. You will probably see a significant difference. Probably something like 200 V or higher at those OK times, and perhaps less than 180 V when it goes into backup mode.

If you have no experience in using a voltmeter, make sure you know how to use it before poking the probes into the mains socket - especially if the meter is borrowed! :) Otherwise, there's a chance you may use the wrong setting and fry your friend's meter.

It may be a good idea to make a note of the readings and post them here so that we can help you evaluate the readings. Make sure you measure the mains voltage and not the UPS output.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have reported the problem to the Electricity Department and they have admitted that there is problem from their end due to which I( Locality) are getting low voltage.

Is there any specific voltage range for the Computer parts like Monitor(CRT), Processor, Hard Disk etc that I should look at? I wanted to disconnect the UPS and have my PC connected directly to the mains output. Is this a good idea?

expertno.1

Technomancer
Yep you can connect your cabinet,monitor directly to mains . Monitor no problem , it can operate at even 100volt for cabinet the smps will do the rest . It operates from 145 volt to 320 V as in case of my smps .
You can check your smps rating , written on the wrapper pasted on it . Then you
can plug directly . But if there is a hell high voltage ur smps will blow off (rest remaining safe)
but since you get low voltage at night , its good for you .
If you have a tv with a stabilizer . You can use your stabilizer to connect your ups . As no one watches tv in sleep :grin: .

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
have u checked ur APC ups sensitivity setting
keep its sensitivity high i.e to operate in wide range of voltage
check ur APC manual

u need to press that button continously until u ee sensitivty setting mode...keep it in green....not sure but check ur manual

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Yep you can connect your cabinet,monitor directly to mains . Monitor no problem , it can operate at even 100volt for cabinet the smps will do the rest . It operates from 145 volt to 320 V as in case of my smps .
You can check your smps rating , written on the wrapper pasted on it . Then you
can plug directly . But if there is a hell high voltage ur smps will blow off (rest remaining safe)
but since you get low voltage at night , its good for you .
If you have a tv with a stabilizer . You can use your stabilizer to connect your ups . As no one watches tv in sleep :grin: .

Thanks for your advice. Actually one of my cousin's who is into hardware has suggested the same thing that you have but it was later contradicted by my friend who told it's not safe to have the equipments on lower voltage either. Hence I had to take a second opinion or should I say 3rd opinion. :grin:

With regards to stabilizer you would be surprised to know that I don't have voltage stabilizer for either my TV or the fridge. Maybe I need to borrow it from my neighbor. :grin:
Posted again:
check ur APC manual

u need to press that button continously until u ee sensitivty setting mode...keep it in green....not sure but check ur manual

Well, I don't think my UPS has that kind of provision. The APC guy told me that there is another model which allows the voltage to be set. But I don't think my current model has that. I need to check on that still. Anyways thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Disc_Junkie

Call me D_J!
I too had the same kind of problem he is having. For months I used the stabilizer, even when the voltage was totally low, I step-up the voltage to the maximum limit. The stabilizer was doing a good work then. Once when I was using my PC in a low voltage, I saw that the power supply suddenly stopped and the beep of the UPS started. But I saw that there was no power failure as the TV, fridge everything were working. Then I could smell something burnt. I shut down the computer and saw that the stabiliser has become red hot. I showed it to my Uncle, he told that the transformer is fried. Took it to a electrician to repair it, he told that it cannot be repaired and buying a new one is the best now. I didn't buy it and in my disbelief, voltage fluctuation stopped in my locality after 2 weeks or so and I am no pain running my PC now.

As for your UPS, my battery is also out and I suggest you two ways to, at the minimal able to shut down your PC without doing anything. It applies for not voltage fluctuation but on power failure.

1. As soon as the current goes, turn off the monitor and press the Power button in the keyboard, it will shut down the PC.

2. Another thing you can do is plug in the monitor somewhere outside the UPS in another powercord so that you can atleast get some time to shut it down as the UPS will give backup then.

I use the first method when there is power failure.:razz:

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
1. As soon as the current goes, turn off the monitor and press the Power button in the keyboard, it will shut down the PC.

I don't have the power button on my keyboard. I guess the latest keyboards don't have that option. Mine is Microsoft Keyboard.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
check ur APC manual

I tried to figure out the same thing that you mentioned but looks a little complicated. I'm unable to understand even after looking into the manual. Can you help me out if I give you the instructions mentioned in the manual?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^ keep pressing the power button more than 10sec until u see the led glowing with cyclic colours
means u r in sensitivity setting mode
now release the button hold

again press once(without hold) u see the colour glowing on of....in other colour

set it n again press the button(hold) till it gets off

then start using by normally

i hope u understand....its hard to describe i don hav the manual now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom