Need help with laptop hard drive

codename47

Broken In
Hello there
I have a Compaq laptop. It seems that the sata port of my laptop is not working. It damaged my two internal harddisks. I took the laptop to the service center and they say that the board needs to be changed and the cost would be around 12k. 12k seems huge amount for me So I found a workaround that is I can install windows 8 on an external drive or a pen drive.
I am confused now whether to go for a external usb drive or pen drive. My budget is a mere 2k I cant extend it. By searching on the net I found that pen drives are much slower than usb drives so there would be a performance issue running windows 8 on it But I would still prefer a pen drive over external drive. I have selected corsair gt 32 gb.
Whether it can handle windows 8?

ratul

█████████████████
As good as any ext drive out there. :)

well can't say about any external drive, but once installed winxp on a pen drive when my internal drive was on rma...
it was slow as hell in that, any application was too slow to open in it, and booting took almost thrice the time as on internal drive..
I would suggest to go with any 320GB HDD (can go slightly out of budget ~2.5k), but it'll be beneficial as normal pen drives r/w speeds are limited to a mere 10MB/s..
The drive you posted is a USB 3.0 one, make sure that your laptop does support USB 3.0, or else you'll get the speeds i mentioned..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I guess you didn't read that he mentioned that he has opted for Corsair GT 3.0 which is as good as any performance grade drive there.

ratul

█████████████████
I guess you didn't read that he mentioned that he has opted for Corsair GT 3.0 which is as good as any performance grade drive there.

yes i did.. :p
that's why i said that be sure that your system supports USB 3.0, else it would give only 2.0 speeds..

OP
C

codename47

Broken In
yes i did.. :p
that's why i said that be sure that your system supports USB 3.0, else it would give only 2.0 speeds..

That's right. My windows experience on corsair gt using usb 2.0 was painstakingly slow. I think I will need a external 7200 rpm drive. Any suggestions plz ?
Space is not a concern for me I mean even a 250gb hard disk would suffice but it should be fast on usb 2.0.
My Corsair gt has extremely low write speeds on usb 2.0. My friends sandisk cruzer blade performs better when accessing windows 8 on it.

ratul

█████████████████
That's right. My windows experience on corsair gt using usb 2.0 was painstakingly slow. I think I will need a external 7200 rpm drive. Any suggestions plz ?
Space is not a concern for me I mean even a 250gb hard disk would suffice but it should be fast on usb 2.0.
My Corsair gt has extremely low write speeds on usb 2.0. My friends sandisk cruzer blade performs better when accessing windows 8 on it.

could not find any HDD's below 320GB, i think that's the lowest now which is available.. :oops:
you can try:
Flipkart Transcend 2.5inch USB 2.0 320GB Rs.2.8k

Try in local markets for this model, i think you can easily get it for 2.5k.

Top Bottom