Need help, unable to run setup files of torrent,snagit, etc most softwares

cutemug

Broken In
After downloading the setup files for let's say torrent/youtube downloader/SnagIT, etc
When I double click on the setup file, for installing, nothing happens,
The busy signal appears for 1-2 secs, and then nothing is getting installed.
Happened for most of the softwares I tried installing.
Having a windows XP, Service pack 2 right now.
Don't want to format or reinstall my OS.
What do I need to do?
:|

d3b

ALIEN_NiBuRu_11111000010
Maybe there is some issue with windows genuine validation (But Microsoft has stopped their support anyways), or trojan or malware. You can do a ssytem restore by the way, or installing some AV.
After downloading the setup files for let's say torrent/youtube downloader/SnagIT, etc
When I double click on the setup file, for installing, nothing happens,
The busy signal appears for 1-2 secs, and then nothing is getting installed.
Happened for most of the softwares I tried installing.
Having a windows XP, Service pack 2 right now.
Don't want to format or reinstall my OS.
What do I need to do?
:|

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
First of all let me begin by saying the most obvious thing. XP is TOO old now. It's "older than grand parent" kind of old. (Heck, even SP2 is old. Atleast XP should be upgraded to SP3).

So now that, that is out of the way, if you are still trying to get things done on XP, you would have to accept all the bugs and annoyances that comes with it.

OR, you have following options:
1. Scan with some updated Antivirus like Avira.
2. Try to install softwares in Safe mode.
3. Upgrade to latest version of Ubuntu. If your machine can't handle Win 7 or if you don't want to, and if you only use your XP PC for everything other than gaming, Ubuntu is the best choice. It might take 'some' getting use to, but its all worth it.

OP
cutemug

cutemug

Broken In
Maybe there is some issue with windows genuine validation (But Microsoft has stopped their support anyways), or trojan or malware. You can do a ssytem restore by the way, or installing some AV.

Okay,
I have an AV installed already but no use.

- - - Updated - - -

First of all let me begin by saying the most obvious thing. XP is TOO old now. It's "older than grand parent" kind of old. (Heck, even SP2 is old. Atleast XP should be upgraded to SP3).

So now that, that is out of the way, if you are still trying to get things done on XP, you would have to accept all the bugs and annoyances that comes with it.

OR, you have following options:
1. Scan with some updated Antivirus like Avira.
2. Try to install softwares in Safe mode.
3. Upgrade to latest version of Ubuntu. If your machine can't handle Win 7 or if you don't want to, and if you only use your XP PC for everything other than gaming, Ubuntu is the best choice. It might take 'some' getting use to, but its all worth it.

Oh, okay, yes I was trying to use my system just the way it is, but it's frustrating now.
Will have to upgrade anyway, now or later. Don't know about Ubuntu, Win 7 maybe.
Thanks for replying guys :)

patkim

Cyborg Agent
when this happens check if the instance of that setup program is still active in memory / OS by going to task manager (ALT+CTRL+DEL --> Processes tab ) and also if the CPU is unusually over utilized after you run setup. Performance tab therein.

If so kill it and retry. Also check the min system requirements if specified by the apps you are installing. Most apps that still support XP need at least SP3.

Also if system restore is was enabled, restore your system to an earlier date and retry setup.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yes, [MENTION=211705]cutemug[/MENTION], do upgrade your laptop to atleast XP SP3. i had been using SP3 till some weeks back on my laptop, with no problems with any software, but then later upgraded to Win 7 to make use of the network-sharing features.

OP
cutemug

cutemug

Broken In
when this happens check if the instance of that setup program is still active in memory / OS by going to task manager (ALT+CTRL+DEL --> Processes tab ) and also if the CPU is unusually over utilized after you run setup. Performance tab therein.

If so kill it and retry. Also check the min system requirements if specified by the apps you are installing. Most apps that still support XP need at least SP3.

Also if system restore is was enabled, restore your system to an earlier date and retry setup.

Yep, checked it already, there is no instance of that setup running.
Will have to update my system. Thanks! :)

- - - Updated - - -

yes, [MENTION=211705]cutemug[/MENTION], do upgrade your laptop to atleast XP SP3. i had been using SP3 till some weeks back on my laptop, with no problems with any software, but then later upgraded to Win 7 to make use of the network-sharing features.

Thanks, yes I will upgrade my system now :)

Top Bottom