Need help setting up internal HDD in external HDD box

ajayritik

Technomancer
I have bought an external HDD enclosure so that I can use my old IDE HDD as external HDD. However when I connected everything I don't find the HDD being detected. Can someone please help me on this.

Also in the manual it's mentioned that the HDD Should be set up as Master. Do I do this using the jumper?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
is the casing receiving power? have you connected the power cable or whatever came with the casing to the hard drive?

yup. use jumper. instructions are given in a white sticker on the HDD itself.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
is the casing receiving power? have you connected the power cable or whatever came with the casing to the hard drive?

yup. use jumper. instructions are given in a white sticker on the HDD itself.
I have connected the power and rechecked it as well
It should be provided with that case.
There is no jumper that was provided with it.

Now my dilemna is whether there is a problem with the box or my HDD itself. How do I troubleshoot?

Anybody here who has used internal HDD's in External HDD box.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
first verify that the hdd is working connect is directly to the pc & see u can get the jumper from any computer shop for testing use the one in the cd/dvd drive try these & get back

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I have bought an external HDD enclosure so that I can use my old IDE HDD as external HDD. However when I connected everything I don't find the HDD being detected. Can someone please help me on this.

Also in the manual it's mentioned that the HDD Should be set up as Master. Do I do this using the jumper?

y u need a jumper for just making an External HDD (from internal one) detectable...

I didn't use any jumper while doing the same...jumper is only used when u are
connecting the IDE drives (multiple) to make a master-slave setup...

but in current scenario u are using the USB connector for the external casing...so it will work as external HDD...

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Zangetsu as I mentioned in my post. It says that I need to setup the HDD as Master. I really don't remember how to do this master/slave thing. I remember earlier few years back when I used to connect a jumper for this setting.

Zangetsu

Zangetsu as I mentioned in my post. It says that I need to setup the HDD as Master. I really don't remember how to do this master/slave thing. I remember earlier few years back when I used to connect a jumper for this setting.

all the jumper settings for master/slave are common for HDD.

just read the sticker attached to the HDD...

but AFAIK for external connection master/slave is not needed...

bcoz even if u do make it a master then from which master the system will boot.. internal HDD (master) or the external HDD (master) :grin:

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
but AFAIK for external connection master/slave is not needed...

bcoz even if u do make it a master then from which master the system will boot.. internal HDD (master) or the external HDD (master) :grin:
Even I thought the same. I thought it will not matter whether it's master or slave for external hdd.

Because this product doesn't look like branded to me I'm getting worried. Hope I didn't screw up my money.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

Master or slave connection specification is need only for internal drives. As you are using it via USB, master or slave drive makes no sense at all. Actually, you won't get any such configuration while installing HDD.

Zangetsu

Because this product doesn't look like branded to me I'm getting worried. Hope I didn't screw up my money.

whats the product name?

Master or slave connection specification is need only for internal drives. As you are using it via USB, master or slave drive makes no sense at all. Actually, you won't get any such configuration while installing HDD.

thats what I said in post#7 above :grin:

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
There is no product name at all on the box. Looks like some local made.
I gave it to my cousin who is a hardware guy. He said that the HDD is not being detected when we connect it to the PC. He even tried with another working HDD inside the External box. He was saying maybe problem with the circuit. He was also saying that there are issues with External IDE to USB HDD converters.

Any guys here who have IDE HDD converted as external HDD?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
me...

I had the Zippy Brand used for my internal IDE HDD

When did you purhcase for how much and how has it worked.

Well I was planning to buy either an Internal HDD or an external HDD but couldn't since I was very busy when I finally decided to buy one I came to know the prices have gone up so I went ahead and bought this External HDD box which I'm regretting now. I feel lost Rs 550. Have to go back to him and see if he can do something about it.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^ IDE or SATA?
Can you give more details about the internal HDD's that you converted to external.
I'm unable to find External HDD box in the link you gave.

Top Bottom