Need help setting up home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuki_295

Journeyman
i want to connect 2 pc's to my linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router wrt54gc so they can share files and play games on lan. i don't want them to cross wire lan as then i can't access internet any one know how can i do that??
i don't know much things so please explain in detail.:smile:

acewin

Point Blanc
wireless I do not think so would be fast enough for playing games, even a switch solves your issue buy a 5-port or 8-port switch.
but if LAN speed is not issue(max data transfer rate is that of your broadband) then you easily can go for wi-fi.
setting up a wi-fi is not a problem. while setting up the router you need to connect it to any of the systems through RJ-45 or LAN cable, set wireless settings and password, and connect your PC using wireless adaptors.

OP
K

kuki_295

Journeyman
no i don't have wi-fi adapters for pc's only have lan cables, use wifi only for laptop and ipod.
and i don't want to buy a switch unless i can't set it using the router.

acewin

Point Blanc
then what is the trouble, you see these wi-fi routers come with RJ45 ports and that too 4-5 of them which means they support upto 5 systems through LAN cable, but if u do not wanna use cable(no need to crosswire them to connect to router) you wont be able to put your computers which do not have wi-fi ports.

also in wi-fi there is no limitation of no of systems you can connect. most of the laptops(same as your laptop) come with wireless. also router handle assigning IP to all the system. if you want to know how you can share files over LAN tell me.

OP
K

kuki_295

Journeyman
Sorry for not explaining problem properly.
I connected both pc's to router and i can ping to each of them from other, now i only need to know how to share files.

Hey,
If you have only two PC's and are not planning on adding more later, you can connect them directly. Why do you need a router?
To share files, have you enabled file sharing on each PC?

acewin

Point Blanc
Sorry for not explaining problem properly.
I connected both pc's to router and i can ping to each of them from other, now i only need to know how to share files.

what OS are you using.
you also need to know the IP assigned to your system

windows solution >>
Start>run
type cmd (this brings the command prompt)
type ipconfig (this gives your IP)

Now to share in windows is simple. go on to the folder which you want to share. right click and select "Sharing and Security", I hope you can do the necessary thing to share now.

Now comes accessing the share.
Go onto another system

open a file browser or so called windows explorer
type in the \\x.x.x.x, now please I know you are not exactly dumb to copy x.x.x.x which is actually the IP of another system.
pressing enter. let it be and see if the folder you shared shows up or not.

about IP or IP address, your result comes out something like this, so you know what your IP address is.

C:\Documents and Settings\jaiswala>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : asiapacific.hpqcorp.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 16.138.41.94
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 16.138.41.1

Now there are few more things to be explained about sharing permissions in windows. But first check these and let know.

more abut configuring the router also needs to be explained, considering you may not know a few things. but I need to know you were able to share things using what I explained.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

example continued you need to type the IP(my resul was 16.138.41.94) what you got like this in the browser
\\16.138.41.94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom