Need help regarding laptop ram

shashank

Right off the assembly line
Hey hello every1,

I am new to this forum and if by ny mistake pls forgive me n correct me.
I have a compaq presario laptop A900 series dual core, with 2 gb ddr2 ram. I want replace my 1gb ram with 2gb so that in all i can I have 3gb ram. Both ram have 333Mhz. I want to know whether I can upgrade it with 1033Mhz 2gb ddr2 ram. I read a post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/134496-using-two-different-company-rams.html but I couldnt figure it out. Can u please help me.
These are the cpuz images of my processor and spd. Pls help thanking you in advance....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
You should be able to upgrade if the specification is the same (example PC2-5300) even if different company DIMMs. Not sure if your board will support 1033MHz though the rated FSB is 532 Mhz.

Cilus

laborare est orare
i don't think Laptop DDR2 modules support more than 800 MHz in case of normal laptops. Try to find Ram with maximum speed of 800 MHz, but 533 MHz is advisable for its maximum compatibility.

OP
S

shashank

thanks sir for the quick reply really appreciable.....1 more doubt I have suppose if I find a 2gb ddr2 ram of 800 MHz or I take a 2gb 533 MHz ddr2 ram will it be compatible with my 1gb ddr2 333MHz ram. I am thinking to have total of 3Gb ram i.e 1gb which I already have + 2gb which m gonna purchase.
Thanking you once agian....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Could you post a picture of the 'mainboard' tab from CPU-Z.

Thanks.

P.S.:
No one is a 'sir' here' :)

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Actually do not add that extra ram. Your board has a GL960 chipset. Below is the link. It supports a maximum of 2GB RAM. Buy a RAM module similar to what you have and stay with 2 GB total. Sorry about this. Should have asked your motherboard details in the first post.

GL960 Intel Specification Sheet.

OP
S

shashank

Dho.......dats really bad but again two questions wander my mind; actually I was upgrading to have windows 7 ultimate on my laptop.
My questions are if I put windows 7 x64 bit ultimate will it work fine with 2gb ram.
n second you told "Buy a RAM module similar to what you have" I didnt really get what you meant by this? Did u mean to say I can buy 2gb 1033Mhz ram PC2-5300?
Awaiting an early reply........

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Win7 should work fine with 2GB RAM. Heck, I am using it on my 1 GB + Atom Processor Netbook.

Get PC2-5300.

OP
S

shashank

but i already have 2gb ram so wat do actually want to say by get pc2-5300?n will windows x64bit work fine with it?

Top Bottom