Need Help in configuring workstations

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
Well guys...need to configure 11 machines;10 clients + 1 server..details are given below.

• Budget: rs 90K-95K per machine
  • Existing hardware setup: None
  • Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: None
  • Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Core i7
  • Plans to upgrade in the future: none..buying all at once.
  • Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Kolkata
  • Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : Rendering and studio work in clients + workstation/server.
  • Brand preference: None
  • Monitor size and resolution: 22inch 1920x1200
  • Will you be overclocking your setup?: No
  • Which OS will you use?: windows seven 64 bit

lets see what u can come up with...

OP
sumonpathak

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
same for all....
so was thinking about keeping the same config and put lots of ram with low gpu...

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Here is a little out of the box thinking... :D

use 10 FX-4100 based machines for clients and complete your client machines inside 2L (assuming each client has a 22 inch monitor...)

apart from that could go for 22 of these -

(970A-UD3) + (FX-8120) + (2 x 4GB)

Make a private cloud out of these 22 machines.

With this each client can have atleast 16 BD cores and 16GB of ram at their disposal at all times....

You could also have dynamic resource allocation - You could deploy upto 160 or so cores if you have to render something big... etc....

many more benefits of cloud computing you could extract.... njoi! ;)

you might also want to look into hybrid clouds - a small handy 150-200 core pvt cloud tied with an Amazon EC2 cloud as and when needed would give you more processing power than you could ever purchase on your own.

Last edited:

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
lol... :p check how Peach was rendered.... $50,000 sponsorship from SUN Microsystems for using 50,000 CPU-hours at $1 per hour....

that sort of thing... :p

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Here is a little out of the box thinking... :D

use 10 FX-4100 based machines for clients and complete your client machines inside 2L (assuming each client has a 22 inch monitor...)

apart from that could go for 22 of these -

(970A-UD3) + (FX-8120) + (2 x 4GB)

Make a private cloud out of these 22 machines.

With this each client can have atleast 16 BD cores and 16GB of ram at their disposal at all times....

You could also have dynamic resource allocation - You could deploy upto 160 or so cores if you have to render something big... etc....

many more benefits of cloud computing you could extract.... njoi! ;)

you might also want to look into hybrid clouds - a small handy 150-200 core pvt cloud tied with an Amazon EC2 cloud as and when needed would give you more processing power than you could ever purchase on your own.

Would you please explain how there will be 16 cores at disposal per client even if op plans to use 8120??

@ sumonpathak

You could configure your client machines with an i3 2100 + h61 combo and the server can be 2600k + z68/z77.

Since you would game, workstation cards are out of the equation. I would love to recommend nvidia kepler cards for the server gpu but they aren't available yet. So settle for a 7870 or 7970 for server gpu and 7770 each for client gpu.

OP
sumonpathak

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
Would you please explain how there will be 16 cores at disposal per client even if op plans to use 8120??

@ sumonpathak

You could configure your client machines with an i3 2100 + h61 combo and the server can be 2600k + z68/z77.

Since you would game, workstation cards are out of the equation. I would love to recommend nvidia kepler cards for the server gpu but they aren't available yet. So settle for a 7870 or 7970 for server gpu and 7770 each for client gpu.
err...no game....strictly workstation purpose.....

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Well guys...need to configure 11 machines;10 clients + 1 server..details are given below.

• Budget: rs 90K-95K per machine
  • Existing hardware setup: None
  • Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: None
  • Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Core i7
  • Plans to upgrade in the future: none..buying all at once.
  • Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Kolkata
    [*]Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : Rendering and studio work in clients + workstation/server.
  • Brand preference: None
  • Monitor size and resolution: 22inch 1920x1200
  • Will you be overclocking your setup?: No
  • Which OS will you use?: windows seven 64 bit

lets see what u can come up with...

Then u should edit the first post accordingly . It had gaming mentioned so suggested one. If you'll be using maya for rendering viewports, then the 7 series radeons should serve you well.

But gaming cards loose on precision and accuracy while rendering which workstation cards have a huge advantage. Well i don't have an idea to what degree coz i don't have any hands on experience on the same.

For your overall work, i think you can skip workstation cards.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone

read how peach was rendered..........................
@16 cores per client - same way those people were able to use ~600cpus(not cores) to render it.........

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@$$Lionking$$: No offfence mate, but practically very few people outside tech world (even most of the so called Computer Science Engineering students) don't know anything about cloud computing. And I guess the friend of Sumon have very little knowledge about the same. So, doing anything out of the box, is, kinda dangerous. :p

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
d6bmg - not at all dangerous, quite easy, definite edge over other multimedia organizations....

and sumon's friend is not supposed to do it himself ofcourse.. :p
he should consult somebody who does it - even if he spends 50-100k on some1 who can do it for him its totally worth it... (I don't know how much these people charge.. Im just taking a shot here...)

the benefits of clustering are immense in field of multimedia... think of it this way - when only half the terminals are being used - each terminal could have 32 BD cores & 64GB's of ram dedicated to it.... :D

even most of the so called Computer Science Engineering students - students dude... they're still learning!!... :O

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
read how peach was rendered..........................
@16 cores per client - same way those people were able to use ~600cpus(not cores) to render it.........

Oh you mean two systems make a single client sharing each other's resource isn't it?? In your way op above will have 5 clients to be precise.

But will it be any different if the same systems configured as 10 clients each with 8 bd cores at disposal??

Consider a scenario where there are 10 procedures or say threads each containing 8 instructions. Consider each client to handle a single procedure at a time but more instructions in parallel.

In case 1 i.e the 5 client model, only 5 procedures are fed to the respective clients and lets say each core or execution unit executes one instruction at a time. Even though each client has 16 cores at their disposal, half of them sit idle in case 1.

Now consider case 2 where each client is a single machine and there are 10 clients. Considering same case as above, all 10 procedures are fetched and assigned to all 10 clients where all the instructions are handled. So everything is executed in parallel saving considerable amount of time.

So what do you think would be an ideal configutation aonsidering the above scenario?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Oh you mean two systems make a single client sharing each other's resource isn't it?? In your way op above will have 5 clients to be precise.

But will it be any different if the same systems configured as 10 clients each with 8 bd cores at disposal??

Consider a scenario where there are 10 procedures or say threads each containing 8 instructions. Consider each client to handle a single procedure at a time but more instructions in parallel.

In case 1 i.e the 5 client model, only 5 procedures are fed to the respective clients and lets say each core or execution unit executes one instruction at a time. Even though each client has 16 cores at their disposal, half of them sit idle in case 1.

Now consider case 2 where each client is a single machine and there are 10 clients. Considering same case as above, all 10 procedures are fetched and assigned to all 10 clients where all the instructions are handled. So everything is executed in parallel saving considerable amount of time.

So what do you think would be an ideal configutation aonsidering the above scenario?

If you read more about how clouds are made you'll get your answer...

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Put 2600 in clients, 3960X on server.
RAM 16 GB everywhere.
Motherboard: H67 in clients, X79 in server.
Graphics card: HD6850 in server and workstation cards in clients.(don't have much idea about workstation cards)
Monitor: Request Asus to bring ~15 24'' monitors to Kolkata, you buy 11, I'll buy 2 and the rest 2 are for the grab. :p
PSU: TX750V2 everywhere.
Logitech MK250 wireless combo or MK200 wired combo as mouse & keyboard.

Sound system: 2/2.1/5.1?

Top Bottom