Need Help Configuring an AMD Machine..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirazhansen

Broken In
Hi all..

I have a budget of 15k max, and with it, i want to purchase a processor, motherboard, and RAM..
This comp will be used mainly for internet surfing, and watching movies.
My friends tell me that for this price range, AMD offers the best value for money, so i thought i'd go ahead with it..

Which is the best Proc-mobo combination i can get for my money?

for a budget of 15 k ... u can get a great combination of Proccy-Mobo-RAM

I can suggest u the following configs :

Dual Core Configs:

E7200/E8200 from Intel -- 5.8 k/ 8.2k
XFX 630i Mobo / Asus P5k VM- 3.5k / 5k
2GB 800 Mhz Kingston/corsair -- 1750-1900

AMD Configs:
Tri Core Config
AMD x3 8750 -- 7k
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H -- 5k (best mobo for your use with loads of features like HDMI, Esata, HD playback etc )

Quad Core Config
AMD X4 9550 -- 7.5k
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H -- 5k

If you are not much into heavy Gaming ( i assume coz u didnt asked for Grafix card ) Both the AMD Configs wld be better for u (in terms of features and performance) and the Last config wth Quad Core Phenom is the best bet in ur budget (superb mulittasking in that budget with an awesome Motherboard) .

Your choice now ...

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Hey, thanks a lot..!

When i asked my vendor, he said the 9550 costs around 8k.. moreover, i dont need to do a lot of multitasking on this machine.. the aim here is to keep costs as low as i can..

How's the Athlon series now? I mean, after the introduction of the X4, does it still make sense to buy one?

As for the mobo, i was looking at the Asus M3A78EM, but it seems to be unavailable right now.. The reviews on the gigabyte board look promising.. hmm.. Looks like that's decided then..

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
C2D E7200 - 6k
MSI P45 Neo F - 6k
2GB DDR2 Transcend - 1.7k
Total 13.7k....

For AMD Rig,,
I suggest u to go for what harryneopotter suggests..

@rajkumar_pb ....

dude i know that P45 Neo F is an awesome board ... but u cant blindly suggest this board to anyone .... this board doesnt have onboard grafix and i dnt think that the OP need to spend more on a dedicated card for his moderate usage. According to his moderate usage ( i dont think he will overclock either for surfing or Movies .. so i suggested 630i and P5kVM ) ... no offence if i sounded rude or sumthing like that ...

@ Shirazhansen

If u dnt want X4 ...
then Phenom X3 8450 at 5k will be the best bet for u ..... it a tricore proccessor running at 2.1 Ghz .... it will surely rock ur system for moderate mulittasking . And the Gigabyte Board is the best in its budget ... but make sure that u get the latest version (Ver 1.1).

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
@rajkumar_pb ....

dude i know that P45 Neo F is an awesome board ... but u cant blindly suggest this board to anyone .... this board doesnt have onboard grafix and i dnt think that the OP need to spend more on a dedicated card for his moderate usage. According to his moderate usage ( i dont think he will overclock either for surfing or Movies .. so i suggested 630i and P5kVM ) ... no offence if i sounded rude or sumthing like that ...
Since he ask only for proccy and this, i assume that he already had a gfx card...
Anyway, i prefer XFX 630i and ASUS P5K PL VM /CM just as harryneopotter...

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
I guess that'd be the case no matter when i buy it! :)

By the way, i need a mobo with decent onboard graphics.. this is gonna be like a second computer, to be used largely for internet browsing and the occasional movie.. so i'm not gonna buy a graphics card for it..
I checked the Gigabyte board.. but even that is unavailable.. ! Just my luck!

Are there any other good Asus boards that have onboard graphics?

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Oh.. i thought the Asus P5K PL VM/CM was best suited for an intel proccessor.. Is it gud for AMD too?
I thought motherboards were processor specific.. am i wrong?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^
does P45 has IGP's......!

o_0... Google too hard to use :|

@OP :-

Go with harryneopotter's Quad config. Its the best VFM in ur budget. Otherwise, you can get this :-

E7200
2Gb Transcend DDR2 800MHz RAM
ASUS P5K VM

Oh.. i thought the Asus P5K PL VM/CM was best suited for an intel proccessor.. Is it gud for AMD too?
I thought motherboards were processor specific.. am i wrong?

u cant use Intel boards with AMD proccy and vice versa. Sockets are different and so is everything else. Its like a man wearing a sarree.

BTW, if u dont need heavy multi-tasking, then u can get an E2160, ASUS P5K PLVM, 2GB RAM and a 9400GT. This way, you will able to see any HD videos on ur PC without any stuttering.

AMD alternate :-

AMD x2 4400+
2GB RAM
Jetway 780G mobo (The IGP is powerful enough).

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Intel E8400: 8k
2) ASUS P5kVM :5k
3) Kingston/transcend DDR2 800 2Gb : 1600

for AMD: harryneopotter's config is great

Last edited:

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
If you have a computer which is powerful enough why spend much on a second PC. go for AMD X3 Or even AMD X2 6400+, they are good enough for movies and browsing (with 1 or 2 gigs of RAM).

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
If you have a computer which is powerful enough why spend much on a second PC. go for AMD X3 Or even AMD X2 6400+, they are good enough for movies and browsing (with 1 or 2 gigs of RAM).

I have a main PC for my games and 3DS Max.. this one's for my mom to check her email without having to disable Desktopstripper first... :D

Ok, I've decided to go ahead with Harryneopotter's config.. without the quad, though, since it's both expensive (8.5 now) and unavailable (!)..
So now it's an X2 6400+ proc, GA-MA78GM-S2H for the mobo and 2 GB Kingston..

Thanks a lot for the help guys.. Sure appreciate it.. :)

Last edited:
I have a main PC for my games and 3DS Max.. this one's for my mom to check her email without having to disable Desktopstripper first... :D

Ok, I've decided to go ahead with Harryneopotter's config.. without the quad, though, since it's both expensive (8.5 now) and unavailable (!)..
GA-MA78GM-S2H for the mobo and 2 GB Kingston..

Thanks a lot for the help guys.. Sure appreciate it.. :)
Try getting Jetway 780G. It has SB750 southbridge.

AMD 6400+ is almost 7.5k .... if u can ... opt for X3 (tricore) ranging from 5k (X3 8450) to 7.5k (X3 8750) ...this will be better VFM in my opinion.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
AMD 6400+ is almost 7.5k .... if u can ... opt for X3 (tricore) ranging from 5k (X3 8450) to 7.5k (X3 8750) ...this will be better VFM in my opinion.

Oops, sorry, i meant 4600.. for 3.5k..

I did enquire about the X3, but it seems to be out of stock.. actually, the whole phenom range is hard to get.. tried gettin an X4 9550 for a friend, but same problem..
It's probably just my location.. i know i might get it frm Chennai or B'lore.. but i need to get it thru my local vendor (for service), and he sez he cant find any.. so i really dont have a choice..

AMD alternate :-

AMD x2 4400+
2GB RAM
Jetway 780G mobo (The IGP is powerful enough).

Try getting Jetway 780G. It has SB750 southbridge.

Umm.. are u guys talkin about the Jetway PA78GT3?
The reviews on this seem gud.. any idea how much it costs? i couldnt get the local price..

Last edited:

dvijaydev46

Broken In
IF you are only going to use it for internet and occasional movie, then a cheap 4200 x2 with 1/2gb ram will be enough. Get any 780g board if you can. Those X3s with low frequencies are not worth the buy IMO. I'm using 4200 with 9600gt and it runs all games well, though it has some processor bottleneck. Buy a cheap processor with 780g chipset so that you can upgrade processor to phenom 2 when it becomes cheaper.

X2 4600 is 2900
X2 6400 more than 6000.

Think of the price diff of 3000 just for for browsing and movies is worth. You won't see any diff anyway for that kind of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom