need help buying my 1st DSLR

game-freak

In the zone
hi frnds need some suggestions on buying my first DSLR.
i am a complete noob when it comes to photography so i dont know anything abt DSLR ' s
my max budget would be somewhere between 35-50 k

sujoyp

Grand Master
being a total noob are you sure you want to spend soo much on camera...also are you interested in photography or just want a DSLR quality picture in superzoom???
Also I am telling you beforehand you just can not keep lenses/dslr in a box and forget...if u dont use ur lens once in 15 days you will end up damaging the lens/camera with fungus inside...

I can suggest lot of combinations but I will wait for your reply..

OP
game-freak

game-freak

In the zone
hey buddy thnx for the quick reply
i always wanted to take photography as a hobby but couldnt do so because of lack of time but now thats not the case aymore have a lot of time for myself
i went through a couple of sites and zeroed in on nikon D5100, but the thing im most confused about r the different types of lenses
and if i may add love ur clicks man great job bro

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thanks if you liked my shots...I am not getting enough time for photography nowdays :(

Yes Nikon D5100 is a superb choice in that range....lets see the combinations assuming ur budget is 50k ;)

Nikon D5100 + 18-55 kit +55-300 zoom = 48-49k
Nikon D5100 + 18-105 kit + 10k left for zoom lens or bag + flash + tripod etc
Canon 600D +18-55 +55-250

about different lenses

In lenses we have different ranges (noob language)

10mm-30mm is good for landscapes shots, group photo
30-85mm is mostly used for portraits,close up,products etc
85 above u can say telephoto range which we need for birds,animals,zooming close

soo for these we have different lenses

18-55 kit lens is useful for landscapes ,parties, group photo,holiday and some portrait shots
55-300 will give u good coverage of portraits and enough zoom for wild animals and birds

there is prime lens which have fixed focal length..50mm f1.8 is most popular one...it give nice sharp pics and blur the background

by getting a combination of 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens you wont feel the need of any other lens untill u learn and actually have the need of other lens.

OP
game-freak

game-freak

In the zone
so i should go for Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens and should i aslo buy Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Lens

sujoyp

Grand Master
no need of 50mm 1.8 from the start...just get 18-55 +55-300 lens combo...and learn 1st ....

btw 50mm 1.8D wont autofocus on D5100...u will have to get AFS 50mm 1.8G

OP
game-freak

game-freak

In the zone
ya i read abt that
how tough is it to learn manual focusing?
and how much is the difference between 55-200mm and 55-300mm

sujoyp

Grand Master
for starters who have never used viewfinders ...they will find it difficult...it needs lot of practice...

price difference between 55-200 and 55-300 is around 5k
and more the zoom its better...

OP
game-freak

game-freak

In the zone
32000 for nikon D5100 with AF-S 18-55mm VR Kit Lens + 55-300 mm for 20800 + Lowepro Fastpack 350 Multi Use Backpack for 5000 = 57800 overshooting the budget

nac

Aspiring Novelist
You can get D5100 with 18-55 kit for 29k and 55-300 for 19k from ebay. Use coupons to get discounts...

Yes, camera bag won't fit in this budget.

BTW, Canon combo > 600D with 18-55 kit, 55-250 IS and camera bag would fit under 50k.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes like nac said ...I calculated like
D5100+18-55 = 30k
55-300 = max 20k
that becomes 50k

and dont get 5k bag from start itself...I know u want to be future proof...but investing 5k on a bag in tight budget is bad idea :)

the above combo u will get for around 48-49k

then with remaining money get a normal bag that can fit 1 extra lens along with camera +kit ....this way if in future u buy a flash u can fit the flash instead of long zoom lens

when you have enough equipments and want to carry that heavy load on the back everywhere...then you can buy a 5k bag :)

its rare you will take all things togather ...1st it will be big and bulky..2nd if it gets stolen you will loose everything togather...

OP
game-freak

game-freak

In the zone
today i went to a local shop to inquire abt nikon d5100 and lens the guy said its better to buy the DSLR with the 18-55mm kit and a prime lens for starters and then buy the 55-300 mm lens later on when i become more used to photography and he said it will be better if i buy the prime lens that costs 6k the one without auto focus so that i could even learn something abt manual lenses as well
whats ur take on what he said

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
for me nikon d5100 is better

I beg to differ, given the budget here :D :D

today i went to a local shop to inquire abt nikon d5100 and lens the guy said its better to buy the DSLR with the 18-55mm kit and a prime lens for starters and then buy the 55-300 mm lens later on when i become more used to photography and he said it will be better if i buy the prime lens that costs 6k the one without auto focus so that i could even learn something abt manual lenses as well
whats ur take on what he said

NO. Get the autofocus version. You dont want redundant lenses. Manual focus is best when you have time, when you plan each shot. You dont want to be hunting for that sweet spot in focus when taking pics of family and friends. Not to mention, if you want to be photographed yourself (by someone else) then AF is a MUST.

And actually, despite the VFM of the 50mm 1.8 prime, I'd recommend going for a 18-55, 55-250/300 combo simply because you have more coverage here. Remember that the the primes are notoriously inflexible lenses. They eat the zoom lenses for breakfast when it comes to Image Quality, but for quick snapping nothing beats the zoom lenses and its not like these zoom lenses are bad in anyway. Just my two cents :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
wow that sales person seems to a old times photographer himself....but what he said is not true for a starter

1. 50mm prime is inflexible
2. you still dont know whats the purpose of the 50mm lens
3. you dont know what aperture is and how aperture f1.8 will make different in photo then f5.6
4. 50mm is very tight on a APSC DSLR like D5100 or 600D ...for shooting 2 guys side by side I have to go 10 meters back :D
5. Old 50mm 1.8D is manual focus and D5100 have pentamirror viewfinder which is not as good as pentaprism viewfinders in D90 or D7000 or D7100 and above...its difficult to manual focus on a pentamirror viewfinder.
6. Manual focussing needs lots of time and patience...once learn to use autofocus you can get manual focus lens later and practice :)
5. A 55-250/300 lens willl give u flexibility and you can shoot birds and wild animals also with that

soo conclusion ...just get 18-55+55-300 combo

@pranav...I forgot the good points of 600D above D5100...kindly mention them again :D ;)

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@pranav...I forgot the good points of 600D above D5100...kindly mention them again :D ;)

Slightly better focus accuracy, exposure bracketing, AF with all lenses (?), better high ISO, more flexible video (?). Again, very subjective ;)

sujoyp

Grand Master
D5100 is better in many ways

D5100 have better ISO then D3100
D5100 have bracketing
D5100 have better grip
D5100 have Selective coloring shot option which is quit fun
D5100 have tilt screen
D5100 have timelaps video option

Top Bottom