Need help about ATI radeon HD 5450 temperature!

apurvgupta1

Journeyman
Hi, i have the following pc specs:

Hard disk- Wd caviar 320GB
WD 1TB

CPU- Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz

RAM- 4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

Motherboard- Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-DS2 (Socket 1155)

Monitor- Samsung S22b370 connected through HDMI port of my gfx card
Gfx card- ATI Radeon HD 5450 (XFX Pine Group)

LG DVDROM ATA

What i have noticed is that my gfx card temperature is around 70-75 degree C in normal operating conditions. Is it normal or i should worry. What should i do if this is a problem? Please help.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
75 under idle is way too high. is your GPU passive cooled (lacks fan)? also check if there is any dust under the heatsink.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ if after cleaning the dust temps is not lowering re-tim using some good TiM and if possible add a 80mm fan on the top of gpu heatsink.

OP
apurvgupta1

apurvgupta1

Journeyman
^^ if after cleaning the dust temps is not lowering re-tim using some good TiM and if possible add a 80mm fan on the top of gpu heatsink.

Thank you for your reply, but what is TIM? i am noob at this.

Alright, cleaned off the dust, now it is around 63-64 C in idle conditions, is it fine now?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ TiM - Thermal Interface Material or simply the paste that needs to be applied before installing a cpu/gpu coler - usually this comes with pre applied under the cpu/gpu heatsink ( the grayish paste which can be found under stock cpu heatsink ) - if you need to clean cpu/gpu heatsink be removing it you need to apply a fresh layer of TiM before installing the heatsink/cooler.

Why they needs to be used - well look here for a good exp. :
Thermal interface material - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, 63-64c idle temp is still on higher side - consider re-TiMing the gfx card and install a fan if possible - a good TiM like CM Thermal Fusion will cost you ~600 bucks.

OP
apurvgupta1

apurvgupta1

Journeyman
^^ TiM - Thermal Interface Material or simply the paste that needs to be applied before installing a cpu/gpu coler - usually this comes with pre applied under the cpu/gpu heatsink ( the grayish paste which can be found under stock cpu heatsink ) - if you need to clean cpu/gpu heatsink be removing it you need to apply a fresh layer of TiM before installing the heatsink/cooler.

Why they needs to be used - well look here for a good exp. :
Thermal interface material - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, 63-64c idle temp is still on higher side - consider re-TiMing the gfx card and install a fan if possible - a good TiM like CM Thermal Fusion will cost you ~600 bucks.

Thank you for the great info, but my gfx card is still under warranty, so should i send it for replacement? Because re-timing it will void the warranty.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Since your gpu is passively cooled I can understand the high temps but 75 deg at idle is way too high for a 5450.
Good that you cleaned the dust. try cleaning some more.

Is there proper airflow in your cabinet? You need a good roomy cabinet with airflow if you have a passively cooled gpu.

RMA or replaccement could be a bit tricky since I read the name Rashi. :|

If those do not solve the problem, try re-TIM and add an 80mm fan. it will help reduce temperatures drastically.

OP
apurvgupta1

apurvgupta1

Journeyman
Here's my cabinet screenshot-

First of all it's the gfx card-
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6717d1346599509-need-help-about-ati-radeon-hd-5450-temperature-2012-09-02-023.jpg

Then it's the overall cabinet-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6718d1346599530-need-help-about-ati-radeon-hd-5450-temperature-2012-09-02-022.jpg

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/attachments/graphic-cards/6719d1346599577-need-help-about-ati-radeon-hd-5450-temperature-2012-09-02-024.jpg

Also, i would like to mention that i have power supply of Adcom gold series model- ATX 450 W . Is it also a possible culprit in heating issue?

Attachments

• 2012-09-02-023.jpg
    2012-09-02-023.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 2012-09-02-022.jpg
    2012-09-02-022.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 2012-09-02-024.jpg
    2012-09-02-024.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Intel cpus ( like the one you have ) have very low power requirements so even though using a god branded PSU is recommebnded the Adcom PSU is enough for your pc with a low end HTPC card like that and you better highly consider adding some fan on the cabby - install a rear exhaust and front intake fan and if your cabinet has mounting holes for side anel fans install one on the side panel ( close to gfx card ) as intake as well.

OP
apurvgupta1

apurvgupta1

Journeyman
Can you suggest what mm fan should i use on the side mounting holes of my cabinet for exhaust?

The thing i found out today is that i have only 2 fans, one which comes with power supply and the other one is with CPU. Is this bad?

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Measure the largest possible dia..

The thing i found out today is that i have only 2 fans, one which comes with power supply and the other one is with CPU. Is this bad?

They cant be counted as extra fans....

It's not bad/good thing as long as everything is cool ; in your case you have to ventilate the GC so buy another fan.
yu may ttry locals @ 80~100 to noctuas @ 1200

OP
apurvgupta1

apurvgupta1

Journeyman
Maximum is 80 mm i think for both back and side mounting holes of my pc's cabinet. Temperatures are becoming too much these days of my pc components- CPU- 48 C* , Motherboard- 45 C*, HDDS 44 C*, GPU when not running any game- 73-75 C* .

Top Bottom