need extra cooling Heatsink+fan combo for Athlon XP CPU chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
This summer is going to be a lot hotter .
I have decided to get a some copper or other heatsink fan combo. something like that
I am new in this catagory..
plz tell me different solutions with aprox. prices and their places in Mumbai
and plz don't suggest liquid cooling.
AMD Athlon XP 1800+ cpu

Vyasram

The pWnster
dude, why need such huge cooling systems for a 1800+ cpu. Anyway prefer cooler master or antec

OP
A

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
i want to replace my existing company heatsink+fan combo..the fan has lost 2 fins
can u suggest the models of coolermaster and antec with prices..plz

janitha

Wise Old Owl
darklord said:
This seems perfect for you -

*www.theitdepot.com/products.asp?prod=10856&tab=1

Yes, I think it is the apt place for you. I am not sure about the prices. You may compare and let us know since i am also planning to buy one for my A64.

V.Prem Kumar

darklord

Cyborg Agent
^^ the product i recommended is meant for Socket A CPUs not A64..
for A64 there is Hyper48 n Hyper 6+

janitha

Wise Old Owl
darklord said:

Of course I was asking about the models like the ones you mentioned. Could you tell us more about them like how many degrees they are likely to reduce, do they fit properly on the slot of A8N-E, will its weight cause any problem, will any paste like Artic Silver be needed etc. And finally are the prices mentioned in the site (theitdepot.com) reasonable?

with thanks in advance,
V.Prem Kumar

OP
A

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
sorry guys for delay..and thanks for the help.
i'll check the product ASAP and inform u.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
janitha said:
darklord said:

Of course I was asking about the models like the ones you mentioned. Could you tell us more about them like how many degrees they are likely to reduce, do they fit properly on the slot of A8N-E, will its weight cause any problem, will any paste like Artic Silver be needed etc. And finally are the prices mentioned in the site (theitdepot.com) reasonable?

with thanks in advance,
V.Prem Kumar

Well frankly speaking,these coolers are not that great coolers even they look cool.
That makes the price unjustifiable to me.
But one thing is for sure that these coolers are definately better than the stock coolers.
Well but the thing is that if you have A8N-E,it means you have a 939 A64,which does not need any jazzy cooling if you run it stock or even at mildly overclocked speeds.
For Example i was using my 3000+ A64 939 [1.8 GHz Stock Speed] @ 2.5GHz 24x7 with stock cooler.So that speaks much about the stock cooler.Such coolers are required only when you want to run your Chip overclocked @ more than 2.6GHz say at 2.8 GHz,that speeds heat up things quite a bit. :wink:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
darklord said:
janitha said:
darklord said:

with thanks in advance,
V.Prem Kumar

Well frankly speaking,these coolers are not that great coolers even they look cool.
That makes the price unjustifiable to me.
But one thing is for sure that these coolers are definately better than the stock coolers.
Well but the thing is that if you have A8N-E,it means you have a 939 A64,which does not need any jazzy cooling if you run it stock or even at mildly overclocked speeds.
For Example i was using my 3000+ A64 939 [1.8 GHz Stock Speed] @ 2.5GHz 24x7 with stock cooler.So that speaks much about the stock cooler.Such coolers are required only when you want to run your Chip overclocked @ more than 2.6GHz say at 2.8 GHz,that speeds heat up things quite a bit. :wink:

I am very thankful to you darklord for your very useful and prompt reply.
I am not a serious overclocker and the reason why I considered a better HSF was that my CPU temp when idle is 40 degrees and more (when it is running with Cool and Quit and the CPU running at around 1000 MHz), and when running applications like MS Antispyware etc., it reaches 48-50 and the fans running at the highest speed. With the oncoming summer it should go up naturally. I have fitted the CPU and HSF properly. BTW initially it was 4-5 degrees lower. I tried another three fans and when there was no significant reduction, tried changing their directions and that also without any improvement.

These are the reaons why I thought of it.

The Spec. are A8N-E, A64 3000 Venice, 6200 TC, a good and heavy 400 W SMPS, DRU810A.

BTW how much a compound like Arctic Silver 5 will help?

Hope you will be kind enough to offer more suggestions

V.Prem Kumar

janitha

Wise Old Owl
ashnik said:
well antec claims that Artic silver will reduce the temp by 10 C.

Yes, somebody who actually used it may pl tell about their experience. If true, then it will be much more worthy than the costly, bulky and cumbersome HSF coolers!

V.Prem Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom