Need Career Guidance [Engineering and MBA]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there ,
Was just going through this really useful sub-section . I would like to have some of my doubts regarding a career as a soft Engg to be cleared .

I am in my 3rd year Engg in I.T and will be placed this year in a software company
I am planning to do an MBA after working for a few years [2 or 3] ..... Can somebody guide me as to what i should do [Preparations from now] in order to get into a very good B-School after working for a period of 2 to 3 years .....I have my eye on IIM .

When should i start preparing for Admission tests for management ? Taking into account that the first year or 2 that i work for a company is going to be very tedious .

And what are the tests i should take up for admission in an a)Indian B School b)one Abroad

What else should i achieve apart from Good School,UG and Admission test scores in order to get into a top B-School ?

PS : I am sure many others would have similar Doubts and would like some well-infomed info :) .

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
I m going to do the same thing
Engineering in IT and then mba
so i m watchful on this thread
Giving 12th board and mahrashtra cet in 2009 feb and april

I m currently studying IT in college but as a senior can u tell me wat all u went through to get IT in engineering
how much in cet??
ur colege??
ur syllabus ?? and all things

i did not start a new thread coz title says engineering + mba

I am from Chennai dude , so i guess eligibility criteria should vary for you

As far as IT syllabus is concerned first year we had subjects that were common to all departments like Physics , Chemistry , Maths , Engineering Drawing , Electronic Devices and Circuits , Electrical Engineering etc etc

From second year onwards we started having subjects that were more specialized i.e specialized towards our department

Remember that as far as IT is concerned your going to have subjects from both Computer science [csc] and Electronics and Communication [ece] branchs .

IMO The most difficult subject u ll ever come across is Digital signal processing [DSP] .....

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I am in my 3rd year Engg in I.T and will be placed this year in a software company
I am planning to do an MBA after working for a few years [2 or 3]
If u can stay true to this strategy till u told, u'll prosper for sure.
Can somebody guide me as to what i should do [Preparations from now] in order to get into a very good B-School after working for a period of 2 to 3 years .....I have my eye on IIM .
Few of friends are in MBA and I foyund that they concentrated on Apti and communication part more.
So from now on, concentrate on apti and verbal-non verbal sections.
set this 2yrs engg+1 yr Job=3yrs to self study. Go through GRE Materials, CAT materials, cue cards over and over again.
For next 1yr (i.e. 2nd yr in Job) get admitted to some coaching centers, IMS, TIME, Erudite etc. They teach techniques and d mock test would evalute u on where u stand at that time. If not satisfied u'll have much more time to brush-up.

Again, I've seen their CVs mentionning about leadership qualities. Try to get something like that. Extra-curricular activities, participate in quizes, even organize etc. These adds brwnie points.

Best of Luck.

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
Wat`s better computer Science or IT ??
Difference??

I dont want to go on quality
i wanna go for the field in which i will be interested
so i want to know their syllabus

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
^^

CS is always better...

but IT syllabus is a lil more updated for some univs...

techking_dinesh

Digit Squad Member
i said i dont wanna go on the quality
i want to study wat i will like and love to

so can u tell d syllabus of both
so that i can decide wat will be better for me

^^

CS is always better...

but IT syllabus is a lil more updated for some univs...

^ Atleast as per Tamil Nadu univ engg syllabus this is not true ..... Uptill the third year 95% of the subjects are similar to both branches ..... In the 4th year theres a small difference in the subjects that are available as electives . The only difference i noticed is that people in I.T also have a few subjects from Electronics and communication branch .

Like for example we had subjects like Signals and Systems and Digital signal processing .... csc students will not have these subjects ...... Essentially these subjects [ECE subjects for I.T] tend to be about 'Digital communication' ......

As far as placements are concerned I.T students have a choice of a working in many more fields .....

But genrally csc is the more sought after course after ECE ... y is that so??

because
-->CSC is easier than IT ... some of the ECE subjects that are also available for IT are really really tough ....

-->Many people do not have a clear idea about what exact difference there is between IT and csc

aiyaz

Right off the assembly line
hi folks..i m Aiyaz doin my final year engineering in I.T.. i have an aggregate of 79% till 7th semester.i m interested in doing higher studies.. right now i m in a dilemma to decide whether to pursue Ms in I.T oriented field or Ms in Management..which is a good option and has good job opportunities...please guide me.

Some preliminary info before i begin

MS stands for Master of Science ...... Its the US equivalent for ME (Master of Engineering ) in India .
Management related degrees are not referred to as MS
Recession has hit both management and technical related jobs , so job opportunities do not vary too much in the current situation between the two ....

A) If you plan to do MS you should start preparing right from now ! ..... You have a good aggregate % ..... Choose to pursue an MS degree only if you have an interest in technical area of the subject and plan to do research in the area ....

what you should do if you plan to pursue an MS degree ( abroad ofcourse !)

1) Google up the list of best colleges/universities is your favored country ....
2) Choose ones that has academic requirements that match your academic performance (Choose multiple colleges)
3) Narrow this list further by choosing a college/univ which is located in an area convenient for your staying requirements (Cost of living / Scholarship availability / Tution costs / no of foreign students etc )
4) If you need any specific doubts to be cleared make sure to contact the college authorities by mail .... Dont feel shy they reply to all your doubts , even if you are not going to end up studying in that college ....

Thats it !

B) If you plan to do management , its a different game altogether ......For a management degree such as an MBA ... you will be aiming to join a B-School (Business School)

Most B-Schools abroad prefer candidates with work experience ...... So if you want to get into a good B-School , India is one of the few options you ll have

If you plan to get into B-Schools such as XLRI or the IIMs then you should attend the relevant exam and score high (exams such as CAT , MAT , XAT etc )
You should have been preparing for this already .....

Thats all , you score high you get an admission in a prestigious B-School such as IIM .......

Hope i helped :)

homework75

Right off the assembly line
Which Engineering college should I join after +2 in West Bengal ?

Which Engineering college should I join after +2 in West Bengal?

I am an OBC candidate living near Kolkata. I have passed +2 - ISC exam this year(2009)
this year with 86% marks .I could not crack IIT-JEE only because of physics(i think). I
appeared in AIEEE 2009 and secured AIR 1,30,000 and state rank 4950 with category rank 280(state).
I have given JEXPO 2009(polytechnic) and i think i will be among the top 100 in jexpo. I do not expect
anything in WBJEE as i expect only 40 out of 200. Well what should I do ?

1) Should I drop 1 year and go to kota for 1 year classroom coaching(Resonance or vibrant) -
I've sent applicatin form for test.-( i think i can get iit)

2)Which engineering college will be good for me in West Bengal to study CSE or ECE
(Computer or electronics) ? Can I get in any NIT's for CSE,ECE or IT ?

3)We cant afford to pay lakhs of rupees for studying. Which engineering college should i
choose where majority of students are serious and from english medium schools ?

4) Well what should I do after all .I am OBC .Please help me make my life....

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Re: Which Engineering college should I join after +2 in West Bengal ?

Which Engineering college should I join after +2 in West Bengal?

I am an OBC candidate living near Kolkata. I have passed +2 - ISC exam this year(2009)
this year with 86% marks .I could not crack IIT-JEE only because of physics(i think). I
appeared in AIEEE 2009 and secured AIR 1,30,000 and state rank 4950 with category rank 280(state).
I have given JEXPO 2009(polytechnic) and i think i will be among the top 100 in jexpo. I do not expect
anything in WBJEE as i expect only 40 out of 200. Well what should I do ?
Hmmm.
Your only option I found is AIEEE. Another one is Polytechnic, but diploma is not that helpful and u may need to go for a full fledge B.Tech degree in future.

1) Should I drop 1 year and go to kota for 1 year classroom coaching(Resonance or vibrant) -
I've sent applicatin form for test.-( i think i can get iit)
Its totally upon you. If you think waiting one year can lead you to some good institutions, u should always go. But, its upon you.

2)Which engineering college will be good for me in West Bengal to study CSE or ECE
(Computer or electronics) ? Can I get in any NIT's for CSE,ECE or IT ?
NITs require very good score for those streams. And u need to score within 2000 to 3000 to get into NITs.
B/W, the site (*cbseresults.nic.in/aieee/cbseaieee.htm) does show some info and conditions about which colleges u can apply for.

3)We cant afford to pay lakhs of rupees for studying. Which engineering college should i
choose where majority of students are serious and from english medium schools ?
If u can't afford lakhs, don't come to engg. education. U have be good enough in study to get into a Govt. college and study spending below lakhs.
So stop crying and DO (study).
4) Well what should I do after all .I am OBC .Please help me make my life....
Well, some people here are cynical about castisism so stop shouting "OBC" all the time.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
@ Phantom Lancer

Me to from tamil nadu coimbatore , in here Amrita institute had made good placement in MBA as they take admissions on CAT exams , y dont u try on that !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom