Need assistance with Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^I think amarok and rythmic music player has support for iPods.Forget iTunes.

Antivirus for Linux systems?You must be joking.Ever heard of a Linux Virus\Adware\Spyware?(there are some nut not that common).SO no need of any antivirus.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
exx_2000 said:
Do I need an antivirus program? I see there is solutions called FProt and Avast. I use Avast on my desktop at the moment and definitely am pleased with it . Is Avast a good choice for Ubuntu?

Checking the Distro request thread also :) .

There is no need of a AV on linux, because there aren't much viruses made for linux but rootkits & prototypes do exists but you don't need to worry about them:)
Linux is more safer than windows, if you still want you can install firestarter firewall.

But that also not needed. :)

exx_2000 said:
What are the chances of getting all my hardware to work with any flavor of Linux. I would really like my tech Com TV-Tuner card to work and I hear that getting it installed is a nightmare. I don’t even know my chipset since I can’t find the specification in my system at the moment and I don’t have the cover for it either. It does work on an application called SuperTv though.

For Tv tuner, you need to check what chipset it is, don't worry its simple.
on linux( even a live cd) type this into a terminal

Code:
ls pci
AND
Code:
dmesg

is it is a bt848 or bt878 chips, then bttv driver is inbuilt in the linux kernel. if i correctly remember.:)

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
exx_2000 said:
I'm going to guess that there are no issues with using IPods on linux systems since I saw a screencap of someone using Itunes on ubuntu .

iTunes runs under wine & crossover office if u want to use it.
However there are enough alternatives to sync to ur iPod.
Amarok,RhythmBox,Exaile are some media players that do it.
Also there's gtkPod that can be used to sync to iPod's

Regards,
ray

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well thanks for the advice. I definitely had a doubt about IPods but I was pretty sure there would be an alternative :) . I think I'm ready to dive into Linux then. I will try to check out if I can find out the chipset for the TV Tuner card that way but somehow I think thats going to end up like a winmodem thingie. But hell if everything else works I'll just get a new Tv Tuner that does work :) .

I now need to just get the distro and I'm ready to dive in :) . Extreme thanks to everyone for help me migrate to Linux .

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
RHCE and RHCT are very specific to Red Hat, and they don't really teach you about linux so well. Linux is a lot about community, which they will never ever teach you in Red Hat programs. Then again, you will be mostly familiar with Red Hat's tools and stuff and not with the internals of the OS. If you know what's below the hood it's much simpler to use any linux distro and learn it within a shorter time frame, as it would be with programming.
Secondly, I am not sure how many packages will ubuntu ultimate bundle.
If you could tell us your usage pattern we could tell you the softwares needed.
You can mail NRC-FOSS at their AU-KBC centre in Chennai and ask if they can send you a DVD with required softwares or else PM me, I will send you a DVD with extra softwares, try to obtain ubuntu gutsy from someone rather than going for ubuntu ultimate edition.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
exx_2000 said:
I must say that I was pretty scared to changing this software to Openoffice. But after seing your advice I just installed it . I must say "This thing Rocks!" It gives me access to pretty much everything I need for free?!?!?. And to think that I paid for Office 2000 when i came back from states :mad: .

Since you mentioned that your main use is for Office applications I recommend Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon). It will come with the latest Open Office. You should be able to get it from your local LUG (Linux User group) or I can send you a copy. To find a LUG near you please check out the link below
*linux-india.org/index.pl?id=2198&isa=Category&op=show

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I use Office for documenting my notes in my course. I'm further fluent in Office cause I used to support Office products and others when was in USA> hence changing suddenly is kind of intimidating. But I've had it with it.
Will check out to see if I can get Ubuntu 7.10 :) .

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Thanks praka123 :) . I've sent you a pm.

Hello all,
I've been reading up on the Ubuntu boards a bit and found some issues many users were having.

One I noticed that installing nvidia drivers seemed to cause random crashes or at least for some people. They all had 64 bit Ubuntu installed should I be scared about this ?

Memory leak. Ive noticed some people talking about a memory leak which also led to crashes. Has anyone else experienced this?

I read the thread about the Hard disk explosions on Ubuntu. We do get to choose whether we would like Laptop mode or etc during the install correct?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom