Need a WiFi N router with ADSL2+ support

papul1993

not a newbie.....
[Solved]Need a WiFi N router with ADSL2+ support

Hi,
I have a BSNL broadband connection. I want to buy a wireless N router within 3.5K with ADSL2+ support.

I want as large wireless range as possible. It should be atleast N150, although N300 is preferred. I will be using it for HD movie streaming, some local Urt multiplayer sessions and web browsing.

I have this router in mind
D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router | Router | Flipkart.com but any other suggestions are welcome.

I know that wireless routers with ADSL modems built-in do not support DD-Wrt but, neither can I afford 2 devices nor do I have the space to put them.

EDIT: Placed order for the TP-Link TD-W8961ND from PrimeABGB.com for Rs. 2210 (incl. shipping charges). On the recommendation of GhorMaanas.

Hope it performs well and doesn't have connection dropping issue.

Last edited:

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
you could also look in the combo of a modem and a wireless router within 3.5k if am not wrong, though ofcourse if you could make some space. get a 410TC1 modem from here and use it with this or this

tp-link and asus routers have ddwrt support, though you need to search specifically according to model.

if you wish to buy an ADSL2+ modem+router, then you could also get this

let others also suggest

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
you could also look in the combo of a modem and a wireless router within 3.5k if am not wrong, though ofcourse if you could make some space. get a 410TC1 modem from here and use it with this or this

tp-link and asus routers have ddwrt support, though you need to search specifically according to model.

if you wish to buy an ADSL2+ modem+router, then you could also get this

let others also suggest

I already have a ADSL modem. I really don't have the space to use 2 devices.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
so do you want to use your current modem in conjunction with a wireless router, or would want to sell your current modem and get a combo ADSL router like the 2750U ?

could you please tell us what brand/model is your current modem ?

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I want a combo router.

I will not sell my current device, which is a bsnl provided wireless modem.

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
so if you want a combo router, then buying that TP-Link router that i suggested earlier is HIGHLY recommended. Tenida bought one today. have a look at it here (post #15315):

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/45694-post-your-latest-purchase-511.html#post1684057

TD-W8961ND - Welcome to TP-LINK

also, you could surrender your BSNL modem back. i think it would be of no use, and you would unnecessarily keep paying rent for it every month (ie, if BSNL takes rent for its CPE/modem, as MTNL does).

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Are there any advantages of the TP Link router over the D-link router that I selected?

I didn't see that TP Link model when I was browsing flipkart. I ain't gonna find these routers here and so I have to buy online. And for that I only trust flipkart.

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Ok. Now I am very much confused. The TP-Link router has a very easy to setup interface, as opposed to the messy ui of the D-link routers.

Dunno which one to choose. :confused:

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
I bought 2750U 2 months back and the UI is not at all confusing. I did read about interface being horrible and everything but I configured the modem within 2 minutes and it was ready. Though I would not suggest you to go for it because the connection keeps dropping. It drops twice or thrice in a day.

I never faced this dropping connection problem in my earlier router. Also, the router is just across the room and the 'range bars' keeping going from 1 bar to 5 bar. That thing is never stable. Though I never noticed any speed difference or anything.

The 2750U looks sleek and nice and doesn't run very hot after long usage. I haven't used any other modem+router combo so no idea if others have this connection drop problem or not.

Also, I have read that 3G USB data cards don't work with 2750U. Haven't tried it though.

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Has anyone bought any stuff from primeabgb here in Assam? How is their service?

I bought 2750U 2 months back and the UI is not at all confusing. I did read about interface being horrible and everything but I configured the modem within 2 minutes and it was ready. Though I would not suggest you to go for it because the connection keeps dropping. It drops twice or thrice in a day.

I never faced this dropping connection problem in my earlier router. Also, the router is just across the room and the 'range bars' keeping going from 1 bar to 5 bar. That thing is never stable. Though I never noticed any speed difference or anything.

The 2750U looks sleek and nice and doesn't run very hot after long usage. I haven't used any other modem+router combo so no idea if others have this connection drop problem or not.

Also, I have read that 3G USB data cards don't work with 2750U. Haven't tried it though.

Thank you for the reply.

The connection dropping problem is because of noise in the telephone wire. Please check it via your local telephone exchange. Happened to me too. Turned out that about 3 meters of wire was faulty and they replaced it. No connection drops ever since. Except on bad weather.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
@papul - Is it? I never faced the connection drops earlier. Like never. It started the day I got 2750U.

Xbox

Inclined to Tech
I think the D-Link DSL-2750U can stream contents from an external source as it has a USB port in it
but the TP Link model doesn't have one..

Its a major omission in my point of view..

lets ask Tenida what made him to choose that model...?

saswat23

Human Spambot
A cousin of mine has the D-Link DSL-2730U, really not worth getting it. Connection drop is regular issue. Even signal strength is weak. I know its a N150 router but still signal strength never goes above 2 or (3 in rare case) even if we are in the next room. Even in the same room signal strength is 4 mostly. I dont know why.
Also some complain the same about DSL-2750U.

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I think the D-Link DSL-2750U can stream contents from an external source as it has a USB port in it
but the TP Link model doesn't have one..

Its a major omission in my point of view..

lets ask Tenida what made him to choose that model...?

I think I read some where that the USB is limited to speeds of 2.5 MBps only. Basically, all I want is good range. I am now thinking of buying the TP-LINK router. Even sent a pm to Tenida. Waiting for his reply.

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I noticed something on the TP-Link router manual. Seems like the router has a printed antenna on the body along with the 2 extended antennas.

Will wait for another 2 days. Let's see what Tenida has to say. :)

reniarahim1

Youngling
A cousin of mine has the D-Link DSL-2730U, really not worth getting it. Connection drop is regular issue. Even signal strength is weak. I know its a N150 router but still signal strength never goes above 2 or (3 in rare case) even if we are in the next room. Even in the same room signal strength is 4 mostly. I dont know why.
Also some complain the same about DSL-2750U.

Disagree....I am using this modem for the past 6 month. No issues till now..Good range all across my house and no connection drops till now.

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Placed order for the TP-Link TD-W8961ND from PrimeABGB.com for Rs. 2210 (incl. shipping charges). On the recommendation of GhorMaanas.

Hope it performs well and doesn't have connection dropping issue. :)

sumitgupta

Broken In
how is the performance of the router u bought..
can u pls share some of urs exp..

i am also in same issue with DLink 2750 & tplinkW8961nd

Top Bottom