Need a UPS for my current rig

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Hi friends

My 6 years old apc 500va is not giving back up of even 1 minute. So i'm think of changing it. It was giving backup to my old hp p4 based rig which i've sold in lieu of my current rig.

I have shortlisted the newly launched APC 600VA. Is it enough for my current system. Check my signature to see the details of my rig.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
minimum is APC 650VA (not 600VA) but as you have a little power hungry graphics card, so i feel 800VA UPS from APC will offer better VFM.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Thanks for the suggestion buddy. But is 5750 that power hungry? Besides my budget is a bit low i.e 3k max. My dealer is quoting a price of 2.7k for APC 650va. Is it good?

The 800va will be out of my budget.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
a 650VA will be perfectly compatible with VX450W. Go for it. do remember that if you upgrade in the future to 550W or higher PSU, you need an 800VA UPS atleast.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
It depends on the components you are connecting to your PSU and what you are doing when there is a power cut. I now have 600va UPS. And I hooked my CPU power cord, Monitor power cord, and a 2.1 setup. And my UPS clearly suffocates if there is a power cut or even voltage fluctuation. And if i am just browsing stuff or playing a movie.. nothing will happen. I'll get a backup of 5-7mins depending on the intensity of the applications I am running. But, if i am encoding videos or playing games.. the UPS directly goes into power off mode, the next second there is power cut. I first thought there is something wrong with my UPS and had it thoroughly checked. It came out OK. But I still have the problem.

But, HD 5750 is not as power hungry as HD 4890(which I am using). And same is with i5 compared to my C2Q. And even If you don't face the sh!tty problem I'm facing, the amount of back up time will be penalized.

It is a tough call. Just to be future proof and to keep things safe and clean, go with 800VA UPS.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Thanks guys.

But microtek's 800VA costs 2.5k whereas APC'S 650VA will cost around 2.7k. These prices were quoted by my local dealer. Which will be good? Is microtek comparable to APC?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
do not even think of **** like microtek. just go and get APC. the support and reliability of APC is unmatched. They replaced my UPS that died due to continuous heavy load twice without asking a question.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
LOL.. Microtek. It is no where near APC which has unmatched support. Go for APC. It costs a bit, but it is worth it.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ok apc looks to be the way to go. But a new model has come up i.e the 600va. Will it be enough for my system or 650va is a must have?

The form factor of 600va is a bit compact and it looks good.
So finally which one should i go for?

APC 650VA OR 600VA ?

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
More the Volt-ampere, the more backup you'll get. And less the chances of computer shutting down when there is a power cut. 650VA it is.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^
No its newly launched and has a vertical form factor. You can check it in APC'S official site.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
use apc's calculator to find the right choice. you need to input components that you plan to use. i think they will suggest 800va.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Yea Vertical Form factor APC 600va was launched in India at the end of august. Before that it used to be different. Something like this..

*www.apcmedia.com/resource/images/500/Front_Left/92265E17-5056-9170-D3F5B8C13B1E7834_pr.jpg

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
thanks for the info :smile:.

well was thinking of swapping the APC 550VA for the 650VA. now i may need to think again. BTW, as MRP is ~3k, how much should it retail for? 650VA still available for 2.8-2.9k.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
So guys should i go for the 600VA i.e the new model or stick with the company's old 650VA ?

I'm really in a fix in deciding between the two.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
The apc 600va retails here at Rs 1950. Is it a good deal or should i make the 650va @ Rs 2700 final?

Is the 650va that good than the 600va to justify 750 bucks price difference?

Top Bottom