Need a little help with graphic card choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandehz

Right off the assembly line
Im sorry if im posting something thats been answered on another thread. Too many posts to sift through.
I need some help in choosing the right graphic card for my system and budget.

My budget is Rs.6000

My system config:

Asus M2NPV VM motherboard with pci e 16x (thats 1.0 i think)
Athlon X2 4200
3Gb Ram
XFX Geforce 7600 gs 256

I bought this rig around 2 n half yrs ago which was decent at that time but the graphics card seems to only somehow play the latest games at low to medium settings.

Im basically looking at 9600 gt but not sure if it will work on pci e 16x.

I dont know how many pin connectors, psu watt capacity n stuff i have on my rig so if anyone can point me in the right direction on where to clear my doubts or give a solution comparing my old rig and pairing it with a new card would be appreciated.

Any recommendations or insights into better cards or solutions are welcome.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1st of all it's very important to know about your PSU. can you mention the brand & the wattage of your current psu ?

as far as I know 7600GS does not requires a external power plug & it runs just fine on a 360W psu.

If you can spend a liitle more for the gfx card say 7K then get HD4770.
If you don't want to spend a penny more than 6K then get 9600 GT @ Rs. 5.2K

But you also need a power supply for those cards. For something decent I would recomend CoolerMaster 460W extreme power plus @ Rs. 2.5K

For something cheap look for powersafe 400W psu Rs. 1.2-1.5K, zebronics 500W platinum Rs. 1.5K or colorsit 450W Rs. 1K

OP
P

pandehz

Yes the HD4770 is a neat card. But im thinking more like getting the 9600 gt and a new psu. Thx a lot for the quick and helpful response. I'll look into the various psu's u mentioned.

Btw how do i find out how much wattage is my psu. I'd really like to add 1k more to get HD4770 but if it makes me get a new psu then i'll have to step back to 9600gt.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
There is lot of difference between HD4770 and 9600GT. Since your budget is a max of 7k, yes, go for 9600GT or HD4670. for PSU, get zebronics or similar PSUs.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
HD 4770 really does consumes a little less power as compared to 9600GT. It only consumes 80W but 9600Gt can consume 90-100W.

You need to look at your psu's 12V railing for the wattage output ( it should be atleast 18-20A ). Just mention waht psu do you have ( brand ) & it's rated wattage ( W ). Look at the PSUs side label for all those infos.

PCI-Express supplies 75 W of power.Get an HD4770 it has got to be around 6-7 Grand.Oh, it will require power from PSU connector.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ pandehz - can you mention the ampere ration of the +12V rail. If it's under 18A then you should get a new psu. Choose any one I've suggested above. If it's

Assuming your config :

The mobo consumes say 40W
The proc consumes say 80W
The rams consume say 10W
The ODD & HDD consumes say 15W
Cabinet fans consumes say 10W

So it's 155W & the gfx card will consume 80 ( HD 4770 ). So it's total 235W. Now all componets does not draw power only from the +12V rail. Say 8-10% of power will be drawn from the other rails. So the load the +12V rail has to deliver is say 215W

For your rig :
So it's recommended to get at least a psu which +12V rail is rated @ 18A. It will give you 216W. But it will be better if you can a psu which +12V ampere is rated higher than 18A. Say 20A will the best thing for your rig :p

Last edited:
OP
P

pandehz

Nice explanation, that cleared a lot of things. Sadly my psu is below 18A.

Yes i'll look into the various psu's mentioned. I live in delhi so i'll goto Nehru Place tomorrow and give u a feedback of what i come across. I think that coolermaster will do fine but i'll look into the others to try and squeeze into my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom