Need a home/office PC with lowest possible budget (~22k)

Naxal

Little Kid
Hello,

I need a configuration for a PC which will be used extensively for office purposes.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Office and Productivity apps / Tally or such and similar accounting and ERP (light versions) software, billing apps / software, little bit of PhotoShop / image editing. Windows 8, and a lot of web surfing with web apps running

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: In and around that 20/22k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 / Windows 8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Basic Disc will do

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, not much big rather value for money, 18-19" would do fine

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Need Full PC

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: In a few days

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, i will build my self.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata, can buy locally or web, which ever is cheapest

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Should I go branded ?? Need a suggestion on that also.

Mainly it will be running office / accounting and other productivity applications with little bit of image editing also along with a lot of browsing (many tabs and many browsers :p running web based apps). It will also act as server to share net connection and share printer. Planning to run Windows 7 and later move to Windows 8 (will be buying Windows 8) and it should be able to continue to run these applications and OS smoothly for at-least 3 years without any hassle.

I have configuration in mind, suggest if that needs change

Intel Dual Core G645 @ Rs. 3,500.00
MSI H61M-P21 (B3) @ Rs. 2,700.00
G.Skill Value RAM 4GB DDR3 @ Rs. 1,100.00
WD5000AAKX 500GB (Blue) @ Rs. 3,600.00
DVD RW @ Rs. 800.00
Local Cabinet + PSU @ Rs. 1,500.00
LCD / TFT 18.5" @ Rs. 5,000.00
Keyboard Mouse @ Rs. 700.00
Local UPS @ Rs. 1,600.00

Total -> 21k

and

Lenovo H430 series which comes with similar config but less ram (2GB) and no UPS but will 3 years onsite warranty @ 25k. Adding UPS and extra 2GB DDR3 will cost another 2.2 making it Rs. 27k approx.

So first decision is if to buy branded or stay with local. If staying with local I would like to stay as low as possible with budget without compromising the usability of the config (suggest if have to increase processor to i3 or such if required). The only reason I was thinking branded was for their warranty, does it really worth?

Thanks.

Cilus

laborare est orare
AFAIK, apart from DVD Writer, most of the components come with 3 Yrs or 2 yrs of warranty, even the local SMPS.

OP
N

Naxal

Little Kid
^^
What about the config, should it need any change or the components are fine enough ?

The PC will do heavy duty in terms of up time, putting up a lot of hours daily :p

AFAIK, apart from DVD Writer, most of the components come with 3 Yrs or 2 yrs of warranty, even the local SMPS.

Two things are different, firstly carry in warranty with horrible threads in this forum itself about delay and service quality of Kolkata service centers, secondly troubleshooting some times becomes headache in identification of faulty part :p

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I would have gone with an AMD setup. Those combo motherbords like Gigabyte E350N, is nice. I am using it as primary PC, as of now. Best bang for bucks.

Anyway, even if you don't go for AMD, I (and anyone) won't recommend you to go for local PSU/UPS. A decent APC 600VA UPS costs around 2k. And PSU, well it's the most important component so better buy a branded one from Corsair, Antec or Seasonic.

Cilus

laborare est orare
No, E350N has terribly poor CPU performance and not good for serious office work. They are good for Web Browsing and watching movies...that's all.

For example, if you are using MS Office 201o then you need a good dual core CPU for it and E350 just can't handle it. They are also not good enough to handle multiple Tabs and Flash content (especially HD flash videos) for most of the latest browsers which are multi-core optimized.

@Naxal, the config you've chosen is very good, just couple of suggestions:-

Get the Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H motherboard around 3.1K as it offers 4 Ram slots. And for PSU, get a UMax or Frontech generic 700W PSU around 700 bucks which offers better performance than the normal local SMPS. As you're spending 1600 bucks for UPS, I'll recommend you to add 400 bucks extra to get an APC 600VA one which is far better for long term usage.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Cilus,for around the same price Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H is better as it has more display port options viz.HDMI,VGA,DVI whereas GA-H61M-DS2 has only VGA.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Thanks for pointing out. Actually I meant to say D2H but wrongly typed DS2. Edited my post.

Top Bottom