need a fast and non-resource hungry antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 26636

hi everybody..i am a student of 3d animation and i am always working on 3ds max, maya or photoshop..individually these softwares eat a lot of cpu resources..i am also connected to the internet 24x7..now i need an antivirus that is efficient in detecting viruses i.e it should have a high detection rate & its on demand(manual) scanning should be fast and light on system resources so i can keep working when a scan is going on..i was using kaspersky antivirus 2009 for the last 3 months but its manual scanning take s more than 2 hours and slows my system to a crawl..please suggest a better alternative..should i try norton internet security 2009?

OP
D

Deleted member 26636

well i think i can purchase a paid one..so please tell me about the paid ones also...how about eset nod32 or norton internet security 2009?

By non resource hungry, it'll be better if we know how much RAM you've got
KIS tends to be a bit slow on 512 MB RAM systems (sometimes even on 1GB)
For Such PCs, NOD32 is highly recommended
Otherwise KIS FTW!!! :twisted:
However, I notice that the PC slows down when many heavy Apps are running with KIS in the background (saying this after using Photoshop, Google Sketchup running along with KIS on my friends PC with KIS)
I'm using NOD 32 at the moment and I'm very very happy with it :D
So, it's your call, with AVs being on the cheaper side these days, you can buy both and see which one works out :wink:

Raccoon

Journeyman
You cant get a "lighter" AV than Dr. Web or F-Prot. Last time I saw, the RAM foot print was about 1 MB!!! Both are quite good at detection (Dr. Web should be a better choice)... but not as good as top of the line stuff like Kaspersky.

They are so light on system resources, you wont even notice them on your system! You cant get anything better than these...

red_devil

Back!
light on system ?? AntiVir is the better option.

a paid option ?? what ever the case, it has to be Kaspersky Internet Security, look no further.

jal_desai

In the zone
well u didnt mention u want a free / paid antivirus so i would suggest ESET NOD32.. it just sits there, never bothers u with blinking red, yellow 'DIWALI LIGHTS' .. catches and destroys viruses with a small notification, updates itself silently and with a very clean interface... NOD32 is the best

Raccoon

Journeyman
Dudes, are these answers even relevant? Hes asking for a AV thats not resource hungry... and everyone is suggesting heavy stuff like KIS, AVG, Avast, etc, etc... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Avast/AVG, both are quite heavy. The lightest and most effective free AV (better than most paid stuff too) is Avira Antivir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom