Need a decent Cabinet

ajayritik

Technomancer
My recent cabinet got damaged and I'm looking for a decent one. I dont want any high end since I'm not into gaming etc.
Also I remember we get some with Power Supply inbuilt and some which are without power supply and I think its suggested to go for one without power supply.

Will appreciate responses/suggestions on same.

CM Elite 311 is a good buy. I have it.
Should be around 2k or less prolly, im out of touch with current prices.

There maybe other cabbies as well within 2k range but other tdf members will know better about it.

Yes don't go for bundled power supply, those are crap.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Antec X1 would be great for you even if you don't game much, it looks good and has good features. :) it will be around ~2k in local shops.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
My question is should I go for inbuilt power supply one or without one?

nope. They are the worst to go with even if you don't game. Get a decent cabinet and then get a PSU other that Corsair VS series or Cooler Master PSUs,as they are not good.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
nope. They are the worst to go with even if you don't game. Get a decent cabinet and then get a PSU other that Corsair VS series or Cooler Master PSUs,as they are not good.
So you are saying I should ideally go for separate cabinet and separate PSU Unit. Right?

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Any specific reason why not to go for inbuilt PSU? What are the drawbacks for this?
Also I have a rig purchased in 2007, should I go for complete overhaul now itself since if I buy another motherboard etc I may have to invest on a new Cabinet again.
Please advise.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Any specific reason why not to go for inbuilt PSU? What are the drawbacks for this?
Also I have a rig purchased in 2007, should I go for complete overhaul now itself since if I buy another motherboard etc I may have to invest on a new Cabinet again.
Please advise.
PSU is the most important component which supplies to the whole system.If you use crappy PSU then any component may get busted.What is your complete configuration?
If it is Core 2 Duo then you go with complete overhaul or else just buy a decent GPU and PSU.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
Please advise.

Going for a change depends on what you currently possess and what you want to run on your machine.

Always remember that a good chassis and PSU can be retained for long and need not be changed whenever you upgrade unless they arent working. So the most stable investment on your PC are these two components.

Also make note that "PSU is the heart of the system and not CPU". Simply coz any failure in PSU can screw up any or all of your other components. So get a good PSU always may be with a little headroom for future upgrades.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Please advise.

do not go for antec x1. get cooler master elite 311 at minimum. you have other choices like betfenix merc alpha, nzxt gamma, cooler master n200, n300 etc. always get a cabinet with good cable management options. will certainly last for few builds. also if you upgrade, give us an estimate of the budget for the gpu you would go. larger gpus cant be fit on small cases. other parts will easily fit except some big cpu coolers.
always buy a good psu. no compromise for that.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Please advise.

inbuilt PSUs are crappy ones and therefore they should be avoided. I got my processor and HDD busted due to a crappy PSU, so better investing a little more on a good PSU is always a good idea.

If you don't game, then you need not upgraded, but if you have something like a core2duo or inferior cpu, a upgrade is required.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I'm afraid I have a Core2 Duo 2.3 Ghz. However I'm not sure if I require an upgrade right now for the Processor, Motherboard etc.
My primary purpose of the PC is for browsing and maybe some times I install Oracle to practise database other than that I don't see any other things that I will be working on with the PC. Infact since the Cabinet got damaged and the PC is occupying place my wife was suggesting I replace Desktop PC with Laptop.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Antec X1 is NOT recommended..
Instead go for Antec V1 or X1 - E..
They have bottom mounted PSU + USB 3.0 + better cooling
If you can find Bitfenix merc alpha, that is a good cabinet as well

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Please advise.

I'm afraid I have a Core2 Duo 2.3 Ghz. However I'm not sure if I require an upgrade right now for the Processor, Motherboard etc.
My primary purpose of the PC is for browsing and maybe some times I install Oracle to practise database other than that I don't see any other things that I will be working on with the PC. Infact since the Cabinet got damaged and the PC is occupying place my wife was suggesting I replace Desktop PC with Laptop.

i would say to just get a new cabinet, an Antec 350p. That should be enough.

Btw what parts got damaged? Do you need a new PSU?

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent

A laptop for browsing and such small work is kinda apt because of the portability. If you have a wifi router, it makes more sense to get a laptop for your usage. But if you want to get into gaming in the future, its better to invest on a desktop now and later get the GPU that you need.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Antec X1 is NOT recommended..
Instead go for Antec V1 or X1 - E..
They have bottom mounted PSU + USB 3.0 + better cooling
If you can find Bitfenix merc alpha, that is a good cabinet as well

ante x1 has also bottom mounted psu support. even i suggest not to go for x1,v1 or x1 E because of the lack of cable management options.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
oh yeah ur right, but the V1 and X1 -E have more fan slots at the same price
and the X1-E has a cable management compartment, atleast according to what the official antec page says .. Any review links ?
All three are made of flimsy steel, the only good cabinets at low price is Bitfenix merc alpha according to me.. The best VFM IMO

Top Bottom