Need a CHEAP CPU for: Websurfing+Virtual Machines

outspoken

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: I surf the web 75% time. 25% I run Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine (Virtualbox) to do some programming.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 15K

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 x64 [home edition]

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500Gb

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: No Monitor, only CPU req. Have 15 Inch 1024x786 CRT (I plan to replace it with an 21 inch LED monitor in 6 months, but no budget now.)

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 3

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: No. Assembler built last time.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: Next Week ( 16-April-2011)

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Partly Yes. In future I want to upgrade Processor [RAM/HDD goes without saying]

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: DVD Drive, Monitor, Keyboard ,Mouse ,UPS , Printer , Speakers, Graphics Card.
Have old one of all the above in good condition.

DVD Drive : Sony ARU 190A (unable to get exact model due to having flashed lite-on firmware :oops: now shown as ATAPI DVD A DH20A3P ATA Device)
NEEDS to work on new CPU (of course open to spending 1K on a drive if other benefits are to be had).

I am fine with On-Board graphics on any decent mother board. (Or Processor in case of Core i3 :mrgreen: )

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Bangalore

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary [Lots actually]
A:
I plan to use this computer for Years to come :( may be the next 6 years.

History of PC's:
P3 from 2001-2007 (Unbelievable I know. Also the dealer just cheated me by selling a P3 just after P4 was out. I try to be more careful now)

Athlon X2 - M2N MX SE Motherboard from 2007-Present.
[Win 7 x64 on 2GB :shock: ]
Actually this PC is sufficient for my needs (more RAM would have helped of course).

Would love 4GB RAM, preferably in a config so that if I decide to add more ram, i need not throw away existing modules!!
Currently my PC has 1+1GB, thus I decided to not invest on more RAM. At the cost of 2GB, my PC will get only 1 GB more... effectively doubles the price :( (am a firm believer in waste not, want not.)

Processor Upgradability:
I have decided this time that I will upgrade processor in maybe 3 years time. Would love if that was possible.
Hint: My MoBo is Socket AM2, I think I can get dirt cheap processors today (AM2+ type) that fit in and give a jump.
But unfortunately, this PC needs to be replaced due to other reasons (pass me down to others ;) ) Thus was looking for AM3+ MoBo that might be available.

Of course my above comments might seem to be AMD biased, but I am open to Intel too.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
AMD Athlon II x4 640 4600
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H/Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H/Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H 4500
G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNQ 1100 per stick (get 2x2GB)
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD: 4k or Seagate 7200.12 1TB: 2.7k-3k

OP
O

outspoken

Broken In
Sorry, i dont get you.
What all components do u require plz specify that clearely.

I need:
Motherboard, Processor, RAM, PSU, HDD and The Box itself.

AMD Athlon II x4 640 4600
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H/Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H/Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H 4500
G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNQ 1100 per stick (get 2x2GB)
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD: 4k or Seagate 7200.12 1TB: 2.7k-3k

Thank you for the suggestion.

Ahh, this is what I don't understand.
How is 2x2GB better than 1x4GB. Can anyone explain to me :confused:?

Because if I decide to upgrade my RAM tomorrow, I need to THROW away 2GB of RAM. Any reason why people always have symmetrical RAM?

Cilus

laborare est orare
2X2 Gb ram will work on dual channel mode. Now how dual channel configuration is better than single channel, check wikipedia. Theoretically dual channel mode doubles the data throughput and hence increase the performance.

OP
O

outspoken

Broken In
2X2 Gb ram will work on dual channel mode. Now how dual channel configuration is better than single channel, check wikipedia. Theoretically dual channel mode doubles the data throughput and hence increase the performance.

Thank you Cilus!

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
u will get i5 config if u r able to spend 20k

Intel Core i5 2500k 11.2k (HD 3000 Graphics)
Intel DH61WW 3.5k
Corsai value 2GB 1.1k (4GB 2.2k)
WD Blue 500GB 1.7k
FSP Saga II 350w 1.5k
Zebronics Bijli 1.1k

Total 20k

Even m thinking to take this..affordable i5 config..but let experts comment on this..since m not expert..:-D

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
bhushan05d251,
good config indeed.
But there is no need of a k proccy here.

Modifying your config a little:
* Intel Core i5 2400 -- 9.5k
* Intel DH61WW -- 3.5k
* Corsai value RAM 2GB -- 1.2k
* WD Blue HDD 500GB -- 1.7k
* FSP Saga II 400w PSU -- 1.7k
* Zebronics Bijli Case -- 1.1k
Total --- 18.7k

This Intel rig will be much better.

But if u really want it under 15k then this:
* AMD PhenomII 955BE -- 6.5k
* GA-785GMT-UD2H -- 3.4k
* Corsair 2GB DDR3 -- 1.1k
* WDC Blue 500GB -- 1.7k
* FSP SAGAII 400W -- 1.7k
* Zebronics Bijli -- 1.1k
Total -- 15.5k

bhushan2k

saswat,
Yup i5 2400 is also good..but i suggested i5 2500k as it has got HD 3000 Graphics which is superior than HD 2000 of other any i5 proccys out there as OP is going to rely on IGP only..

Rahul01

Broken In
Great, i5 config for just 20k what is next Model after dh61ww and what is benefits of b3 motherboards.

bhushan2k

yup..say thanks to my invention..:-D just kidding..
Well motherboards released by intel for 2nd generation core proccys i.e. Sandybridge had some bugs..so intel detected them and released bug free version chippets named B3 stepping..so better u check "B3" in motherboad model name while purchasing..

OP
O

outspoken

Broken In
Hi bhushan, saswat and rahul,
Thanks for your suggestions.

Intel is a nice suggestion. but currently I have the following in mind:
AMD Phenom x4 945 @ 6250 ( Again, from online reviews I read that The Athlon x4 645 is equivalent to this one, at 5.2K looks worth it.)
Gigabyte 880GAUSB3 @ 5900 (looks more on the expensive side, might go for the 5.6K UD3H)
500GB Seagate - 1800
4GD RAM -- 2150
ATX+PSU (Some combo no idea about name) 1.5K (No IDEA how this is possible, SP Road guy said this is sufficient..., most PSU recommended here cost more!!

My mind is split b/w :
i5 + DH61WW and the above config.

Points of contention:
For Intel:
Intel looks more upgradable, the socket is used on most iX processors.
AMD, I am getting only AM3 sockets, with bulldozer not compatible with this, in 2 years time I will never be able to upgrade Processor :(

Against Intel:
The AMD combo gets me a Motherboard with USB 3.0,
4 RAM slots ---> This is imp, as i might upgrade from 4GB to more in future (3 years?)
I do not want to be throwing away RAM just because I don't have enough slots... just doubles the cost of upgrade.

Great, i5 config for just 20k what is next Model after dh61ww and what is benefits of b3 motherboards.

Same question here, another thread said we should always look for B3 revision, wanted to know why.

I plan to use the PC for at-least the next 6 years, thus upgradability was important.
Was planning an upgrade in 3 years if all goes well..

-------------------
Another message :)

Just found out, Intel DH61WW has max TDP 95W... casting doubts on future upgradability.
In case Intel's processors 2-3 years down the line start taking up more power than that, I lose the 'upgradability' advantage given to Intel...

[Yet to see TDP of the gigabyte board, unable to find it...yet]

saswat23

Human Spambot
For a 6yr long run intel is much prefered. Though it may excedd ur budget by 1-2k but it will be much better.
Check this mobo for i5-2400:
Theitdepot - ECS H67H2-M3 16GB DDR3 USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard

And for RAM,
Add a 4GB now. Later u can add another 4GB. And in the future 8GB will be more than enough.
You can also add a USB-3 PCIe card later when USB-3 cards get cheaper
I am suggesting a i5-2400 instead of i5-2500k so that it fits in ur budget.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
outspoken said:
4 RAM slots ---> This is imp, as i might upgrade from 4GB to more in future (3 years?)
DDR 4 is supposed to come out next year, So DDR 3 will suffer same fate as DDR 2 :(
outspoken said:
I plan to use the PC for at-least the next 6 years, thus upgradability was important.
Then get a Intel i5 Sandy Bridge by spendng a little extra.
outspoken said:
In case Intel's processors 2-3 years down the line start taking up more power than that, I lose the 'upgradability' advantage given to Intel...
I dont see that happening.

As you said you want to use for 6 years. So its probably best to spend extra on a 650w PSU as you will have your future purchase backed up

You cant predict Intel's upgrade game plan. No idea when they might release a new proccy socket / board etc

So, I think it's best you get a i5 Sandy Bridge processor. You will have peace of mind :peace:

saswat23

Human Spambot
Just for UBUNTU and WebSearching even an AthlonII X2 will do. So, no point in investing a lot on SB.

OP
O

outspoken

Broken In
Most probably tomorrow is D-Day :)
a) Can anyone suggest good names in Bangalore, SP-Road who give good service?
b) Why should I spend 2K on a PSU, when at ~1.5K I get Cabinet+PSU (no name).

Tossing a coin tomorrow to decide b/w Intel and AMD ;)

Intel i3 2100+DH67BL at ~12K seems to be a good competition to the two AMD/Intel combinations above.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^dont get that i3!!
get athlon II x4 640 in place of that. much more futureproof.

and ok dont spend on a good psu. later you will feel the loss ;-)

OP
O

outspoken

Broken In
^dont get that i3!!
get athlon II x4 640 in place of that. much more futureproof.

and ok dont spend on a good psu. later you will feel the loss ;-)
Thank you Jaskanwar (lot of knowledge gained from your April 11 PC Buying thread).

Okay, coin tossed courtesy Jaskanwar ;). Getting an AMD Athlon x4 640/645 + 880GA-UD3H

a) But no seriously, I am new to this PSU business.
I love to know the 'Why' of anything good or bad.

b) Can I get a decent PSU for 1K? (+ 1.1K for the Cabinet)

Also wanted to know the Warranties of components.
Heard Gigabyte gives 3 years, RAM is for 10 years (if company is still around ;) )
Anything else I need to look for?

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^better psu, better quality, efficient, more warranty, no headache.
atleast FSP Saga II 350w for 1.4k. but fsp saga II 500w for 2k is worth. more futureproof. when you add for example a mid range gpu a higher wattage is necessary.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, go with Jas' suggestion for PSU. Investing on a good PSU will ensure long life cycle and better upgradability of your system.

Top Bottom