need 2 get a new graphics card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashwin_ka

Broken In
hey guys.i got a p4 2.4Ghz system with Intel original 865 chipset and 512MB DDR2 RAM along with an 80gb hard-disk..i got an original nVidia FX 5200 grafix card rite now...i am planning to get a new one and want help to decide which one..
my reqs are:
it shud atleast support shader model 2.0 or 3.0.
shud be able to handle games like NFS:Carbon, Heroes of Might and Magic,upcoming Crysis and Command and Conquer 3 with decent frame rates..dont care about resolutions..just want to be able to enjoy them at normal settings..
my budget is around 5000-9000..
also pls let me know if i got an AGP slot on my m/b and a good grafix card in the price range mentioned..can stretch my budget by around another 3k max..
thanx a lot...

T

thunderbird.117

ashwin_ka said:
hey guys.i got a p4 2.4Ghz system with Intel original 865 chipset and 512MB DDR2 RAM along with an 80gb hard-disk..i got an original nVidia FX 5200 grafix card rite now...i am planning to get a new one and want help to decide which one..
my reqs are:
it shud atleast support shader model 2.0 or 3.0.
shud be able to handle games like NFS:Carbon, Heroes of Might and Magic,upcoming Crysis and Command and Conquer 3 with decent frame rates..dont care about resolutions..just want to be able to enjoy them at normal settings..
my budget is around 5000-9000..
also pls let me know if i got an AGP slot on my m/b and a good grafix card in the price range mentioned..can stretch my budget by around another 3k max..
thanx a lot...

I have same card has yours.

NFS:Carbon :- Works with Fx 5200 in medium settings.
Heroes of Might and Magic, :- Works with Fx 5200 in medium settings.
upcoming Crysis :- Not Yet released.
Command and Conquer 3 :- March 28th.

I will wait for new card when Directx10 Cards comes. Till then i am sticking with DirectX 9 cards.

Stalker

Padawan
^^Carbon will work at high settings, but the shader detail will be always minimum on a fx5200....try running the game with 3danalyse, with the id's set to that of fx5950....the headlights look pretty gud & u r able to set the road reflections & visual treatment & shader detail to high

BEWARE: EXTREMELY LOW FRAME RATES...:D :D

as abt crysis...it requires a sm2 card ..minimum..

@ashwin_ka
u can get a 7600gt ( around 10k)...sm3,dx9c

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
best card available for AGP now is nvidia 7800 GS 256 MB or ATi 1950 Pro.....

Both cards retail for around $200-$275 in US... so definitely will be around 1.5 times that price in India. Both of them support SM 3.0/Directx9.0c/OpenGL 2.0/HDR..... and is more than sufficient to play todays games.....

For future games like UT III, CRYSIS, Test Drive Unlimited, STALKER etc etc, that card should play them in low-medium graphics.....:)

Though 865 chipset will be a heavy bottleneck to them.... even if u r running the board @ its highest potential...... (With DDR400 Dual-Channel and 3.0 GHz Processor HT)

If the above prices are high for u, then u shud get a nvidia 6800 GT 256 MB retailing for around 8-9K..... (price not updated)...:)

shantanu

Technomancer
No really i got to download a PDF from intel i just visited www.intel.com
and wrote in the search box "865 ddr2"
and got 5 or 6 options a pdf file was downloaded and i found written in it :

this is the proper link select the second one

and scrool down to second page

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
You seriously are a complete retard... Did you even see what that pdf is? Its a comparison of 9XX chipsets.. from 910GL to P965/975X. Here... read :p

*www.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard_perfmain.pdf

Here are the specs of 865G

*www.intel.com/products/chipsets/865g/index.htm

Dual-Channel DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM
Flexible memory technology allows a full spectrum of DDR usage from incredible performance to more cost-effective systems.
Advantage of Dual Channel DDR Memory [PDF 318KB]

Here are the specs of 865P
*www.intel.com/products/chipsets/865p/index.htm

Dual-Channel DDR 333/266 SDRAM Dual channel DDR memory for increased performance across a range of memory configurations.
Download Dual Channel DDR Memory Advantage[PDF 318KB]

shaunak

Tux Fan
The best AGP card you will find in the market today is the 6600 from Nvidia. It costs 3900Rs.

Although better solns do exist but you will have a really really hard time finding them in the market.

btw: 865 supports a max of 4GB DDR 400 running in dual chanel mode.

mawerickin

Broken In
i would recomend 7300le.

your board would go well with the card.

Also the card is a good one as it has pixel shader 3.0 with 256 mb dedicated installed memory as well s can support 512 mb turbo memory.

it runs games at 4x aa very well.

its priced at 3000 currently.

i saw many people asking to wait for dx10 cardfs.

i wolud like to put some light on it.

8800 is out which happens to be the worlds first dx10 card and is priced at 88800(1380 $) in india so if can spend fine else wait for 2 years for the prices to come down.

Stalker

Padawan
mawerickin said:
8800 is out which happens to be the worlds first dx10 card and is priced at 88800(1380 $) in india so if can spend fine else wait for 2 years for the prices to come down.

8800GTX is around 40k in india

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom