NameServers for a Host??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
One of my friends has bought a domain for his upcoming site. His site is going to be on my PC. I have configured httpd, pure-ftpd for HTTP and FTP. The problem is that he needs NameServers so that his domain will point to my PC's particular Directory where his site is located. How do i provide him nameservers? Does this require BIND DNS Server. Also tell which section to configure if BIND is required. :confused:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It will be the nameserver you use for your PC.
Do you have adequate bandwidth for hosting the site?
If you have more than one site on your PC, check the vhosts in apache.
No real need to install bind on your PC.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
you need DNS control of your domain name..and a static IP to make ur computer server.DNS will will give your domain name a static IP.

Than create baby nameserver in your domain control panel..thats it.

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
I don't have a static IP, but once signed in to reliance makes my IP static for atleast 48 hrs. then i re-signin. also i am using NO-IP service currently to update IP addresses.

Also, i don't have a domain. i am using one of the NO-Ip domains. I also wouldn't get the money to buy a domain.

@ravi,

I think u mean Name Server editing control by DNS control. Plz correct me if i'm wrong. Yes in his domain control, he can edit Name Servers.

@mehul,

i have a 150 kbps connection.

mehulved said:
It will be the nameserver you use for your PC.

Plz mehul can u explain this?

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
The Unknown said:
I don't have a static IP, but once signed in to reliance makes my IP static for atleast 48 hrs. then i re-signin. also i am using NO-IP service currently to update IP addresses.

Also, i don't have a domain. i am using one of the NO-Ip domains. I also wouldn't get the money to buy a domain.

@ravi,

I think u mean Name Server editing control by DNS control. Plz correct me if i'm wrong. Yes in his domain control, he can edit Name Servers.

@mehul,

i have a 150 kbps connection.

Plz mehul can u explain this?
I think you cant do like this.you get static IP for 48 hrs..and DNS update take around 72 hrs to update.

Also on 150 Kbps speed you will get around 60-70 Kbps upload speed..but to host a good server you need atleat 8mbps upload internet connection.

This is why we Indian cant host server in India ..rather we buy space/server from other country..where speed is in Tb

OP
nileshgr

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
ravi_9793 said:
I think you cant do like this.you get static IP for 48 hrs..and DNS update take around 72 hrs to update.

Also on 150 Kbps speed you will get around 60-70 Kbps upload speed..but to host a good server you need atleat 8mbps upload internet connection.

This is why we Indian cant host server in India ..rather we buy space/server from other country..where speed is in Tb
Mine is not an hi-fi server. I don't want to setup a hosting company. Its just for my friend and me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom