My Vista review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Hai there guys,here is harvik780 with a short but sure windows vista ultimate review.This new breed of windows operating system is a whole new experience but is it worth the money?u gonna find it now.I think u ain't getting any better information else where.First of all it has whole new kernel which is rock solid stable.Well the reason for this is that it does not allow any thing and yes i mean any thing to touch it or crash it.Every time u run an application which windows does not recoganise then windows asks if u want to run this program or not cause it could be a virus or other malisious software.The drivers made for vista have an entirely new architecture.And the completion of the installation of a video card driver does not require a restart amazing hanh(good way to save time).More importantly if the video driver or any other driver crashes it does not crash the system.For eg if the video driver stops responding the monitor will turn off for a second or couple and then it would turn on again then a message would appear saying that the display driver stopped responding and has recovered sucessfully.My video card ran out of power while playing a game(flatout 2) with aero interface turned on.It was mentioned in a digit issue that vista has the capability to unload every thing from memory which is not required for playing a game.Well the truth is that it does not do so on its own but it has to be done manually.Games installed on vista are automatically recoganised and the short cuts to the games are automatically created in the games directory.Here u can see the rating of a game,it's version and other information about the game.When u run an applicatiojn that is not compatible with vista then vista automatically runs it in compatibility mode with the safest settings.Every single game I tested on vista ran perfectly except splinter cell double agent which crashed the video driver.I would recommend that people having low end to mid end geforce 6/7 series cards with 1 to 1.5 gb of system memory should disable aero interface while running games.And most importantly people having a 915/945 chipset should forget about running the vista aero ineterface cause the performance of gma900 and gma950 is not up to the mark.U can find out whether your computer can run aero by going to start menu-games and then clicking on performance information and tools.Run the performance wizard and if ur video card score is 3.0 or more then don't worry & be happy as your video card can run aero.The most intuitive portion of the aero interface is flip 3d in which u can scroll through applications while pressing windows key + tab.If u have an internet connection then u can view news on your windows side bar.The side bar shows date,time and if u want it also shows cpu usage.The side bar is composed of softwares called gadgets.U can make ur own gadgets or download them(don't know from where).Vista covers drivers for nearly 90% hardware.Currentyly u cannot overclock in vista at least not on a geforce card.And did i miss saying that the sound quality of vista is amazing & u don't even need a top end sound card,just install a mid range one for listening to music or playing games.Browsing the web is a lot more fun now with IE7.But i think that its rendring speed is still less than opera or mozilla fire fox.I have all the three browsers installed but can only view video content on IE7 cause the windows media player plugin though installed is not recoganised by opera or firefox.And i forgot about the additional windows media center in the ultimate version which allows u to play audio hd video and radio online and even play windows default games.U can also watch tv and perform other tasks with WMC.The windows files are absolutley safe and nothing can harm them expect when u format the drive.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Harvik780 said:
Every time u run an application which windows does not recoganise then windows asks if u want to run this program or not cause it could be a virus or other malisious software
This is known as User Account Control,the biggest annoynce of windows.:x
Haven't you disabled it?:D
Btw. nice 'first look' review:D

shantanu

Technomancer
UAC looks cool to me, a nice and good thing.. and one should never disable it,

YOU TOO VIMAL dudeee !!! :D

shantanu

Technomancer
and DEFENDER making FIREWALLS EXTINCT :D:D ROFL... :D:D:D ....

but really UAC is really nice feature VISTA GOT... reading his review i think... he is satisfied with VISTA, as i am :D

shantanu

Technomancer
you are really a 008 :D LOLzzzzz

you didnt find any thing else in VISTa.... quite strange... but why, were you sleeping while using vista...MR COOL dude..:D

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
vimal_mehrotra said:
nothing to boast about except aero.

Nothing that you know abt.
Here is little something you can read *arstechnica.com/reviews/os/pretty-vista.ars/1 . And you can always google for more info (not abt soccer , world is beyond that) before you make a judgement like "nothing else than aero". That article is first part of the three part series , so follow it to know more.

Last edited:

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
tarey_g said:
Nothing that you know abt.
Here is little something you can read *arstechnica.com/reviews/os/pretty-vista.ars/1 . And you can always google for more info (not abt soccer , world is beyond that) before you make a judgement like "nothing else than aero". That article is first part of the three part series , so follow it to know more.
Read my post-I have written nothing to boast about except Aero.Not that Vista is "nothing else than aero"
In case of convincing a typical home user to use vista- I may be aware about all the new API and Kernel changes,but they are not enough to convince a guy who just want to get his work done.

PS:World is beyond soccer,there is always GAMING:p

Last edited:

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
vimal_mehrotra said:
Read my post-I have written nothing to boast about except Aero.Not that Vista is "nothing else than aero"
In case of convincing a typical home user to use vista- I may be aware about all the new API and Kernel changes,but they are not enough to convince a guy who just want to get his work done.

PS:World is beyond soccer,there is always GAMING:p

There is pretty much to boast abt vista other than aero , and an avg guy can get his work done in win 98 too some can even go even back. But thats not the point , if you read that article and many other resources online you will know how vista improves the way the things are done when compared to xp .

Visual interface being the primary thing to attract an avg home user is advertised everywhere. The advertising can not go beyond the visuals and telling ppl its more secure. Several ppl who dont know much beyond playing music/vids and working on word have asked me if i have vista , i handed them over the beta and they themselves installed it (*) and some are enjoying aero(thx to the new mobo's with good onboard video) unaware of other benefits.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
blueshift said:
I would love to use Vista..
..what is the min configuration needed for it?

Thanks for the review.

System Requirment for Windows Vista

The lowest end computer on which I installed Vista & it worked perfectly

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, Intel 845GEBV2 motherboard, 1 GB RAM & Radeon 9600 Pro.

Atleast something like the one I used above is recomended for Vista with aero. If you don't have a graphics card then even 512 MB RAM will do. The lowest graphics on which I installed Vista was Intel 845GL motherboard onboard graphics. It had problem in playing videos. Whats your computer configuration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom