My RaspberryPi

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
You don't need monitor, keyboard or mouse to configure raspberry for download purpose only. All can be done using ssh from a pc after connecting the raspberry pi to your router. I'm using the basic TP-Link 740n router. I suggest a SD card instead of microsd. I first tried microsd with sd card adapter, but sometimes the pi won't boot. Turned out that the adapter was not working. So I bought 8GB SD card and have not experienced any booting problem. You cannot install XP or Win7 in Raspberry. It supports linux flavours like Raspbian.

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
So, basically..

The setup would be:
Monitor+Raspberry Pi+LAN (RJ45) Cable+MicroSD Card/similar Card (acting as a HDD with OS)+I/O devices (Kybrd+mouse)

Right..??:-?

My Purpose: To use a completely Stand-alone 'Raspberry Pi' based PC (WinXP or Win7 based OS) for 24/7 downloading from :ahem: Sources

Using the SD card for the OS as well as general storage is not a good idea. It is much better to opt for an external USB HDD. However, the bus-powered ones will require a powered USB hub for safe operation. Drawing too much current from the USB ports will set off the fuse. 100 mA is safety limit recommended by the designers and a bus-powered USB HDD will at most times need more than that. A high capacity USB flash drive can be a good alternative.

You don't need monitor, keyboard or mouse to configure raspberry for download purpose only. All can be done using ssh from a pc after connecting the raspberry pi to your router. I'm using the basic TP-Link 740n router. I suggest a SD card instead of microsd. I first tried microsd with sd card adapter, but sometimes the pi won't boot. Turned out that the adapter was not working. So I bought 8GB SD card and have not experienced any booting problem. You cannot install XP or Win7 in Raspberry. It supports linux flavours like Raspbian.

As far the SD card goes, the current iteration of the Raspberry Pi (i.e. the Model B+) has a microSD slot instead of the standard SD card slot.

Gollum

Collector
I'm planning to buy a Pi to use it as a 24x7 download center..anyone here tried this?

You can buy this to make it a download machine.
*www.modmypi.com/android-mini-PC's/MK802-II-Android-4.0-mini-PC
Its not windows but can run linux and comes prebuilt with android
Amazon.in: Buy Rikomagic MK802IIIS Mini PC Android 4.1 RK3066 Dual Core 1G DDR3 8G Flash Bluetooth Online at Low Prices in India | Reviews & Ratings

- - - Updated - - -

I found MK809II to be the perfect download machine.
*www.amazon.in/Cozyswan-Version-Android-Bluetooth-External/dp/B00ALSAGLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406534064&sr=8-1&keywords=Cozyswan+Mk809+II

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Can anyone just answer these please?
1. I have a TV with HDMI support, can I use it as a monitor for the Raspberry Pi?
2. Is it just like a PC which is super small and power efficient, running on Linux?
3. What's the difference between it and a mobile?
4. I don't have a wifi network, neither a router. I use dial up connection, will the connection work on Raspberry Pi?
5. Can I use it to watch movies in my TV?

Downloading(using Dongle) and watching movies is what I mostly wanna do. Learning programming is a little far away for me.

Last edited:

amjath

Human Spambot
Can anyone just answer these please?
1. I have a TV with HDMI support, can I use it as a monitor for the Raspberry Pi?
2. Is it just like a PC which is super small and power efficient, running on Linux?
3. What's the difference between it and a mobile?
4. I don't have a wife network, neither a router. I use dial up connection, will the connection work on Raspberry Pi?
5. Can I use it to watch movies in my TV?

Downloading(using Dongle) and watching movies is what I mostly wanna do. Learning programming is a little far away for me.

1. Yes
2. It is small and power efficient and also low powered PC to do very basic task. But I have seen 1080p movie trailer [think about the size for full movie, it might hiccup] running from pi.
3. Dont compare different league.
4. You dont have a wife :p I get it. Dial up connection froma modem, if so use the LAN port
5. Yes you can.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
1. Yes
2. It is small and power efficient and also low powered PC to do very basic task. But I have seen 1080p movie trailer [think about the size for full movie, it might hiccup] running from pi.
3. Dont compare different league.
4. You dont have a wife :p I get it. Dial up connection froma modem, if so use the LAN port
5. Yes you can.
1. Cool!! :D
2. So it may lag while playing 1080p movies? :O Anything that I can do to play 1080p movies without any lag?
3. It sounds almost same, could you please mention some basic difference?
4. I use a dongle, not a modem, how will I use it for internet connection?

amjath

Human Spambot
1. Cool!! :D
2. So it may lag while playing 1080p movies? :O Anything that I can do to play 1080p movies without any lag?
3. It sounds almost same, could you please mention some basic difference?
4. I use a dongle, not a modem, how will I use it for internet connection?

2. If you use a 1080p movie of 10 gig file it may lag, the video i was talking about was original raspberry one. So I think the latest version is good with good XBMC support.
3. Basic difference okay, mobile connectivity modem and drivers [this is what comes to my mind]
4. Check your dongle for linux driver support. If you find it then install the drivers and connect the dongle and you are good to go

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
2. If you use a 1080p movie of 10 gig file it may lag, the video i was talking about was original raspberry one. So I think the latest version is good with good XBMC support.
3. Basic difference okay, mobile connectivity modem and drivers [this is what comes to my mind]
4. Check your dongle for linux driver support. If you find it then install the drivers and connect the dongle and you are good to go

2. Not 10gb ones :lol: ~1.5gb ones. Will they lag?
4. Simple as that? Cool :D

And once more asking, is just a small PC running on Linux rather than windows right?

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Guys need a little help. I noticed that the power supply uses is a micro USB charger and I have two micro USB chargers at home. One if Moto E and one of Lumia 525. I wanted to know whether I can use them or not.
On the Moto E charger, its written
Input - 100-240V 50-60 Hz 0.2A
Output - 5.0V = 550mA
So can I use it?
I don't have access to Lumia Charger for now so will ask about it tomorrow.

baiju

Ambassador of Buzz
You can use the moto e charger. I have used 700mA charger without any problem. But if you connect external hdd, a 2A is recommended.

Top Bottom