My gaming-keyboard quest...pls assist !

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
whoa ! folks have got me confused :p

tenida, i can safely agree to this that the price for X4 has been hiked (reason might be the dearth of stock), as homeshop18 and some another site (forgot name) is selling for 2.5k, but still, buytheprice has it for 2.1k...

again, is G110 worth every penny (may be asking for too much) that is costlier than X4 ?

G510 is a bit more than 4k. worth it ? just MIGHT increase my budget for that...

now really in a dilemma.

P.S. - Prime requirement is FPSes...no MMORPGs for me.

@ gameranand

thanks for your time, and all the best ! meet you later :)

gameranand

Living to Play
Well even if you play RPG and not MMORPGs then G510 is worth the extra bucks.
Both are mostly identical apart from the fact that G510 has a LCD which is quite a big deal IMO. In both looks, show off and usability.
Then we have backlighting in which G110 only has three colors to choose from and maybe you won't find your comfort zone for night game perfectly but G510 has every possible color which means you can find your perfect comfort zone. I mean maybe you'll find yellow more comforting than red and so.
Then when it comes to normal usage I mean typing. G110 has kinda glossy keys and they are very soft while G510 has rubberized finish and also they are kinda harder to press which gives me a feel that I typed that particular button and also less mis typing for me.
In connectivity both are nearly same apart from the fact that G110 has a USB port which is not a big deal for anyone of us as we have a lot of free USB port in back of our Cabinet don't we. :p
Then it comes to no. of programmable keys G110 has 12 while G510 has 18. G510 clearly wins for me as I am more of a RPG guy so all powers on KB is good for me as I don't have to use mouse to execute power in between combat.

But as you are not a RPG guy so any of them works for you but I still recommend G510 as who knows you might like RPGs like DA and ME and in those games G510 will be more helpful.
Not to mention imagine someone come to your home and sees that you have a LCD on keyboard and says "Wow" and I guess you got my emotion right. :)) :))

So my advice get G510 I know its a bit pricy but believe me its worth it. How do I know these because I have 2 friends one has G110 and one has G510 and unfortunately I have chepo Logitech KB. :( I hope that will change very soon :D:D

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Yes gameranand is absulately right if you can spend 4k then logitech g510 is the best option.....go and get it.
Cheers
Happy gaming :)

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Then we have backlighting in which G110 only has three colors to choose from and maybe you won't find your comfort zone for night game perfectly but G510 has every possible color which means you can find your perfect comfort zone. I mean maybe you'll find yellow more comforting than red and so.
Then when it comes to normal usage I mean typing. G110 has kinda glossy keys and they are very soft while G510 has rubberized finish and also they are kinda harder to press which gives me a feel that I typed that particular button and also less mis typing for me.
In connectivity both are nearly same apart from the fact that G110 has a USB port which is not a big deal for anyone of us as we have a lot of free USB port in back of our Cabinet don't we. :p

Wow anand ! you're seriously tilting me towards G510 now heavily :-D
exactly the way my friends kicked me up from an earlier thought of 40k budget comp to a high-end ~1L gaming machine !

just a couple of doubts, if you could help me with :

1. can we also see the cpu/gpu temp.s apart from the load on the LCD screen ? some ppl had casted their doubts about that on some other forums i went through, and they werent also sure...since apart from the bling, i dont think i would tilt my head down to check my inventory while playing a game very often ;-)

2. can a flash-drive be plugged in onto the USB drive of the G110 ? i read over logitech forums ppl telling that doesnt work...so is the USB port just useful for low-powered stuff ?

replies to those would be really helpful for me :)

Yes gameranand is absulately right if you can spend 4k then logitech g510 is the best option.....go and get it.
Cheers
Happy gaming :)

:grin:

gameranand

Living to Play
exactly the way my friends kicked me up from an earlier thought of 40k budget comp to a high-end ~1L gaming machine !

1. can we also see the cpu/gpu temp.s apart from the load on the LCD screen ? some ppl had casted their doubts about that on some other forums i went through, and they werent also sure...since apart from the bling, i dont think i would tilt my head down to check my inventory while playing a game very often ;-)

2. can a flash-drive be plugged in onto the USB drive of the G110 ? i read over logitech forums ppl telling that doesnt work...so is the USB port just useful for low-powered stuff ?

Yes you can see the info about your CPU and GPU with some plugins. I have read on net that people are able to see temps on their screen. You can also see the frame rates on that little screen if you want, and Xfire chat, emails, RSS feeds and all those stuff.

See this thread for more info about the screen.

Yes about G110 that is indeed a low powered port so some pendrive work some don't. Its is actaully for low powered devices. Quite honestly why the heck you need that port at all when you can just get 4 USB port from single one using those (I don't remember the name at this instance. :p )

And hey whats the config of your mighty rig ?? :))

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@kilroyquasar i didn't get their line i think for 300bucks difference go for Home Shop18 over buy the price
Also i did call Home shop 18 it is in stock

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

Answer:
1. Yes, you can but with the help of extra add-on. That temperature monitoring add-on is not included in default packages of modules.

2. Hopefully you have some extra USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 ports at the front & back side of your CPU rig. :p So, why are you thinking about those USB slots?

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Yes you can see the info about your CPU and GPU with some plugins. I have read on net that people are able to see temps on their screen. You can also see the frame rates on that little screen if you want, and Xfire chat, emails, RSS feeds and all those stuff. ---- thats a hell lot of things ! yay !!

Yes about G110 that is indeed a low powered port so some pendrive work some don't. Its is actaully for low powered devices. Quite honestly why the heck you need that port at all when you can just get 4 USB port from single one using those (I don't remember the name at this instance. :p ) ---- you're talking of USB hubs...lol...they also are low-powered only, unless they are costly ;-) BTW, the specs mention it as a high-speed USB 2.0 port, but still it works so lame...hehe.......and the USB is such a versatile invention, that having that 'one more port' feels tempting :grin:

And hey whats the config of your mighty rig ?? :)) ---- aarrgghh...i was so trying to let it remain confidential for sometime, since i am in the (very slow) process of creating a cool-siggy for the spec over here, and to post pics & description of the sys in the 'show-off' thread over this weekend, but you force me to disclose the 'secret' ?! haha...i will just say for this now, that its a Z68 mobo, with an i7 SB thrown in, and a 580 Lightning with a couple of ripjaws X 8GB chips shoved in the tummy of a black tank (CM HAF-X)...Oi ! i have already let my mouth loose :-(

P.S. - its ALWAYS that whenever i've discussed about getting a desired stuff, i end up lightening my pockets more than i ever intended :wink:

thank you, O' G510 :)

Answer:
1. Yes, you can but with the help of extra add-on. That temperature monitoring add-on is not included in default packages of modules.

2. Hopefully you have some extra USB 2.0 & USB 3.0 ports at the front & back side of your CPU rig. :p So, why are you thinking about those USB slots?

1. am perfectly fine with it...even happy to read that :)

2. yeah i do have...but the prospect of 'one extra' port is greed-inducing :grin:

thanks

@kilroyquasar i didn't get their line i think for 300bucks difference go for Home Shop18 over buy the price
Also i did call Home shop 18 it is in stock

hmm, point well noted, though i was able to talk to their really polite customer service exe twice y'day...but see all above and below you, and its pouring G510 here now...lol.....would you be interested in getting a G510 instead ?!

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
yeah sure...give me some time please, got this business unfinished here ;-)

got one more enemy to finish off....kindly enlighten on G510 VS SS Merc Stealth........CNET and youtube have got good reviews for stealth....stealth price at lamington is 4.2k-4.5k.....pls pls suggest

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Just Saw some reviews of SS Merc Stealth. Although never heard it before, but it looks like a good keyboard to me only if I exclude the LCD panel of G510.
But availability of SteelSeries Merc Stealth might be an issue at Indian market. :unsure:

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
Lynx india lists 510 at 4080+5%+shipping

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510 - AP - Model G510KBD ― Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Just Saw some reviews of SS Merc Stealth. Although never heard it before, but it looks like a good keyboard to me only if I exclude the LCD panel of G510.
But availability of SteelSeries Merc Stealth might be an issue at Indian market. :unsure:

its available at lamington road for a price of ~4.2-4.5k...........special attraction for me is its FPS friendly keys !

Lynx india lists 510 at 4080+5%+shipping

Logitech Gaming Keyboard G510 - AP - Model G510KBD ― Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Store In India

going by what i've read about lynx here and heard from friends, it would be a big NO-NO for me, even if i have to buy it at a bit higher price elsewhere.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
its available at lamington road for a price of ~4.2-4.5k...........special attraction for me is its FPS friendly keys !

Yeah, that looks good, but I'm still in some sort of confused about that keyboard (may be because I am not accustomed to SteelSeries Merc kbs).

Best option will be like this: go there, feel both keyboards by yourself. Then you will be able to decide which one is better to go with.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Yeah, that looks good, but I'm still in some sort of confused about that keyboard (may be because I am not accustomed to SteelSeries Merc kbs).

Best option will be like this: go there, feel both keyboards by yourself. Then you will be able to decide which one is better to go with.

availability has really become a major issue. called up all big dealers i knew of whole day today. neither the G510 nor merc stealth is available readily. but i had seen one SS KB in lamington. will check on that tomorrow. heck ! if nothing, then sidewinder X4 zindabad ! :p

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
availability has really become a major issue. called up all big dealers i knew of whole day today. neither the G510 nor merc stealth is available readily. but i had seen one SS KB in lamington. will check on that tomorrow. heck ! if nothing, then sidewinder X4 zindabad ! :p

For G510, call up your nearest Rashi Peripherals. They WILL have to have every model of Logitech. In my case, the shop in which I want to buy G510 didn't have any G510 in their stock at that moment, but they manage to get some of those KBs inside 10 minutes directly from Rashi.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
For G510, call up your nearest Rashi Peripherals. They WILL have to have every model of Logitech. In my case, the shop in which I want to buy G510 didn't have any G510 in their stock at that moment, but they manage to get some of those KBs inside 10 minutes directly from Rashi.

wow ! that was a great info indeed ! rushing to lamington. now !!

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
A good deal I saw just now: Flipkart.com: Steel Series Keyboard Merc Black: Keyboard

Steel Series Keyboard Merc Black @1699/-

Top Bottom