My baby is dying, Help oh mighty lords of the software troubleshooting forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyboosh

Broken In
Hello,
Pardon me for the title of the thread, just wanted some attention.

I've had power cuts in my area, and i don't have a UPS to save data, or safely shut down my computer.

Well, one of these days, i had my computer 'go off' because of these power cuts around 3 or 4 times. What happens now is that my computer screen suddenly <b>'freezes'</b> meaning i can still move my mouse around, and click on things (eg:the start menu) but once it comes up, even if i click elsewhere, it sort of stays there glued to the desktop.

I have some very useful, and meticulously collected data on my computer, and it's too big to have backup cds for all of them.

Could you please help me figure out what's wrong with my computer?
i just <b>can't</b> lose the data on my HDD now.

Thanks,
- Mushroomcloudwarrior

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Thankyou for the quick replies..

I have tried restoring my computer to an earlier time, but i don't think anything happened because it said 'there have been no changes to restore to earlier time'

Could you tell me how to run checkdisk/scan disk? as in, is it a program on the computer or a piece of software that i can download..

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
its a built-in function in dos...

start->run-> cmd

for more options and help...
Code:
c:\>chkdsk/?

for scanning.. but in read only mode...
Code:
c:\> chkdsk

if you want to fix errors, then use
Code:
c:\> chkdsk /f <drive letter>:

the above option needs restart..

satyamy

Alive Again...
This same things happen to me also sum days before
First of All tell us ur Config & O.S.
& u r anti
& exactly tell when ur PC screen freezes..........?

These are simple methods useful for resolving most of the Computers Problem
Run - chkdsk / Scandisk
Run - Disk Defragment
Run - Clean Disk (remove temp files)
Run - Update & Run Your Antivirus Software

OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
1.59 gHZ P4 128 mb RAM XP sp1

I use AVG free version (updated regularly)

The screen freezes after a while the computer is idle for a while, or if it's overworked for a while. It's not really predictable.

Could you tell me how i can run checkdisk, like explain it further (i'm kind of dumb)

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
boot in safe mode with only command prompt ( by pressing F8 during boot ) then
:

sridatta said:
its a built-in function in dos...

start->run-> cmd

for more options and help...
Code:

c:\>chkdsk/?

for scanning.. but in read only mode...
Code:

c:\> chkdsk

if you want to fix errors, then use
Code:

c:\> chkdsk /f <drive letter>:

the above option needs restart..

P

pokiri

u can also run checkdisk utility... by right clicking on the drive and properties>tools>check now
it will ask 4 the reboot....
and the disk will b checked at the next boot time

daivagna

Broken In
hey u need to planty of things...1stly start disk clean-up utility provided in systm tools...i.e strt->accessories->systemtools->disk clean-up..in that select all check box and hen clean -up disk(dont worry it will only clean files that is not imp),then fragment ur disk..again for that prog. is given the name is disk fragmentation..now restart ur pc..everything will atleast work ok

shaunak

Tux Fan
daivagna said:
then fragment ur disk
Must mean "Defragment your disk".
Definately do defragment your disk. To do that go to start >all programs >accesories > system tools > defragment.
[please check the menu structure immm currently on Ubuntu.]
If you problem still dosnt go get your disk checked using a third party tool like Diskchecker or Disk analyser.
It would also help to read this.
It would be wise to back up your data and invest in an UPS.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
The Lords hast decreed to hold counsel with thou, Warrior! Thy predicament is a blasphemous reminder of the fickle hand of Elektron! The trail commences...

First...
u sure this kinda thing happened after the power cuts.

Me thinks XP on a 128mb RAM might run slow anyway(as I got another comp which goes to standstill on XP and having similar confg. to urs)

Scandisk first (although this should have already happened when u restarted the computer...
Right-click any drive ("c" first) ->chose option "properties".
Click on tab "tools".. under error-checking, click on button "check now"
Tick both checkdisk options ->OK... stand back... actually lay back. It'll take lotsa time. Repeat process for other drives (d..e..)

Defragment ur drives..
Rightclick drive->"properties"->"tools" tab->under defragmentation, click on button "defragment now"
Defrag all ur drives... that'll also take lotsa time.

Me thinks this "hanging"'ll happen when u do a particular operation.. like running Media Player or something else. Pin-point the exact operation which causes this problem and then come back with ur question. Or something in the start-up is screwing ur computer.

First.. check out ur Windows Left-Bottom "start" button->All programs->StartUp for entities. If there are some programs in it, delete them (rightclick on program and delete).
Else... this is a little risky for u... Start->Run... type "msconfig" without the doublequotes
This opens the "sytem configuration utility".
Select "Startup" tab and de-tickmark all entries (except maybe the antivirus/firewall"). If it continues, Try deselecting all entries incl. antivirus/firewall and then save restart computer. If ur probs gone, Me.Antivirus/Firewall is responsible for the hang.

Try the time-proved "trail & error" method to find ur baby's "killer" and kill him before he kills ur baby

I still say either ur low RAM or some rouge software (corrupted heavy antivirus, some silly microsoft product...) is guilty here

Last edited:
OP
M

mightyboosh

Broken In
Hello,

Thank you thank you thank you for the overwhelming response..

Well, yes i know my configuration is terrible, but i try to keep it in good shape (i manage to run photoshop on it, no joke)

Also, i have now checked all the drivesfor errors (By rightclicking on the drives in my computer, and 'check for errors' under 'tools' and when i did this for c:, it asked me to reboot which i did.

I am still to defragment C: which i'm doing right after i post this reply..

I have checked for viruses, checked for errors, (now going to) defregment, and cleared up space using CC cleaner in safe mode.
I know the lords of the sortware troubleshooting forum will not fail me.

Yet, i shall come back and tell you the state of my computer after i'm done with all this.

P.S: is there any way i can rep all of you for helping me, you should have that system if you don't already. Thanks again!

i think it was MSN beta all along, no msn beta, and no freezing!!

(will re-installing it work, or are there other news of msn beta playing havoc like this)

Last edited:

gaurav21r

Journeyman
So many Replies!!!!

Hopefully your problem has been solved.

In any case, I must say it is quite terrific that there were so many replies...
Well done DIGIT Forum members, and nice to see the forum growing ever so quickly and gaining more n more popularity each day.

Hats off to the 'Mighty Lords'.....

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
start>run>command>sfc /scannow

be sure u have ur xp cd in the cd rom drive .... sit back ..get a cold drink and pray that the power doesnt goes off

let the window finish the checking of files ..reboot and if atall the things are going hay wire again clean the contacts of the ram and general cleaning of the dust

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
I think ur all prb. solved out it there anything remains is u need to have a UPS with you and buy a backup disk for all data back ur if CDs can't do this for you

copy all ur data on that disk coz data is most imp. and hardware is not too much trustable in this world

so always
BE READY WITH YOUR BACKUP DISKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom