Multiple viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I run my system on Ubuntu. I also installed Avast for Linux. As I plugged in a USB pen drive, Linux asked me if a program be allowed to execute; obviously I denied permission.

A thorough scan revealed 6 trojans in the drive. Had I used this drive on my laptop running on XP, it surely would have been infected (despite all measures). Now, you know why I run antivirus on linux. I use it as a "sandbag" before running on windows machine.

OK, the problem is that avast is not able to delete/move to chest/rename it. Permission to do is being denied. The infections persist. What should I do now?

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Remove Windows :D.. LOL.. you can change the permissions of the drive where you have viruses.. or you can manually delete those file by becoming a Administrator..

Rahim

Married!
Be sure to cd to the pen drive mount point
Tell me where the pen drive is mounted first!!
Open a terminal and cd to where the pen drive is mounted, maybe in /media folder. Enter sudo chmod -R 777 * and this will allow full access to modify/delete the folders/files in the pen drive.

Be sure to cd to the pen drive mount point

Last edited:
OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Is there a * after sudo chmod -R 777
There are some files in the pen drive that would want to run on their own, hope they wont get permission to run! Excuse me for my extreme ignorance!

I read this somewhere:
chmod 777 gives everyone all rights, chmod 700 gives the owner all rights, no one else can do anything with the file and you can make every combination like that.
Is 777 OK or 700?

The pen drive is mounted in media.

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
^Full path to the mount point? Suppose it is mounted as /media/usb. Change accordingly.

Yes 700 will suffice in this case. Yes there is an asterisk * which will change the permissions of all files/folder in /media/usb folder.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
OK, I will do that, but before that I have a question. Isn't there a way to make the avast to clean them instead of myself changing the attributes and deleting them?

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
you can check the Pen-Drive's mount point by command fdisk -l.. it will show you all the mounted devices..

Rahim

Married!
Then you have to run avast in the root mode(admin). Highly dangerous stuff when choosing root account.

@hellknight: fdisk -l will show only the partitions and not their mount points.

Use df -l to highlight the various mount points.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
At the terminal i typed cd /media and got into it. next, i typed cd /usbdiskpro, which is the folder name of the drive and i get no such file or directory. i can see it in file browser.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Not happening! Is there any other way getting to it. Like a single statement....cd/media/usbdiskpro ??

Sorry! I was being stupid...all I had to do was to type cd usbdiskpro without that "/"

I am now going for sudo chmod -R 700 *

Rahim

Married!
^Chal maaf kiya :))

One more thing, since the folder's owner is "root", and using 700 will only allow root user to change anything. So why not use 777 to allow everyone,including the normal users to modify them?
Another way is to change the owner to ,say, your name and then use 700, so that it allows you to change them.
i hope your eyes re not rolling backwards reading this :D

Quick and Dirty Guide to Linux File Permissions

Last edited:
OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Hurrah! Thanks...

I got to delete all those nasty files, even the hidden ones. I ran the avast scan and confirmed that all trojans were deleted. Even the ones in the trash folder. How do I revoke that permission?

Sorry, being totally ignorant of linux and its working, I understand nothing. I faithfully follow what good people like you guys tell me.

I have another question...not related to this

I installed clamav in order to bolster security (not linux) using synaptic manager but am unable to see it. Please help

Rahim

Married!
Install clam-gtk; it is a front end gui that you can find under system tools.
See this --Howto Install Clam AntiVirus with GTK frontend GUI
How do I revoke that permission?
Revoke what?

Try going through the link on Linux Permission posted above.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I did find files like clamav, clamav-base, clamav-freshclam, clamav-getfiles, and clamtk and installed them successfully. I don't see it anywhere not even in any menu.
I did as described in this site
*yourubuntulinux.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-to-install-clamav-and-its-gui.html

I mean undoing that permission.

Rahim

Married!
It must be in Accessories Menu as Virus Scanner. Use the Guide posted.
Enter clamtk in a terminal to see if it opens.

As for the permissions, you can change it anyway you like, say changing its owner or changinf its permissions....it depends on our needs.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Quite unexpected... I found it in applications>system tools>virus scanner.

I tried to update and it says. "you must be root to install updates". How do I be the root?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom