Multimedia app problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
K. I am using Open Suse 10.3, Totem for some reason has suddenly stopped producin sound for videos. They play without sound. Also VLC stopped opening up.Also Banshee isnt playin music at all. The time bar isnt moving.

However, amarok works and so does Mplayer.

VLC, Banshee and Totem were working well a couple of days ago....

What do I do??

Or do I just get rid of Open Suse???

Was thinking of installing Debian Etch... What do you guys think???
I dont wanna have probs with my USB ports and stuff. I mean the system should work well. I'm doing Computer Engineering and cant afford to have an unstable system.

Last edited:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Run them up from a console and post any errors (with some traceback) they report.
yeah. sometimes there is a --verbose OR something similar flag in the command line which you must specify to get a lot of debugging information.

just type
Code:
$ vlc --help

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
K. I am using Open Suse 10.3, Totem for some reason has suddenly stopped producin sound for videos. They play without sound. Also VLC stopped opening up.Also Banshee isnt playin music at all. The time bar isnt moving.

However, amarok works and so does Mplayer.

VLC, Banshee and Totem were working well a couple of days ago....

What do I do??

Or do *I just get rid of Open Suse???

Was thinking of installing Debian Etch... What do you guys think???
I dont wanna have probs with my USB ports and stuff. I mean the system should work well. I'm doing Computer Engineering and cant afford to have an unstable system.
If you're new to Linux(which I think), do that*.

Install Ubuntu or Mint OR try Fedora for a full blown programming environment (in case of your studies).

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
Well, waiting for a reply I went ahead and installed Debian... But had trouble with resources for apt... Am getting really frustrated now and my head is just throbbing.

OK... May give Fedora a whirl... But which version?

praka123

left this forum longback
Well, waiting for a reply I went ahead and installed Debian... But had trouble with resources for apt... Am getting really frustrated now and my head is just throbbing.

OK... May give Fedora a whirl... But which version?

the One reason why totem etc doesnot have sound is,that these apps are meant for a Gnome Desktop and esound(ESD) must be enabled for sound service.

Suse is a kde distro basically and it will not have ESD and libesd-alsa0 installed.It is a waste of time messing with huge distros like suse which is having gnome not perfect.

Debian,Ubuntu or Fedora;Its upto u :)

pulse audio solves these problems,but it is upto you to experiment or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom