multi purpose desktop

choudang

Padawan
hmmm .. returning back to my fav place again .. guys .. need some advise on the following [no offence nothing personal .. this is not a new PC config so i am not following the format]

points to remember: i am not a gaming freak by my bro is, i don't have TV cuz it hard to carry along :grin: and i need a long term durability at least 5 years :shock: again i am not going to buy everything in one shot , currently lenovo is doing the same :))

1/ Stuck with AMD vs Intel, honestly i very much like to have a intel it does not have backward compatibility and having frequently changing terminology. where AM2/AM3 mobo offers you a choice, intel mobos are far away from this option, i had to put my old P4 due to unavailability of 865 chipset. Core 5/7 both are costly even i will get 2 phenom x4 compared to i7. which one to opt Phenom II X4 955 or Phenom II X6

2/ i need a mobo with durability and must have onboard 5.1/7.1 [sound card is other option to have real 5.1] and SLI.

3/ going for AOC 22" LED .. is it a good option. i don't want 3D but HD required [ohhh .. HD & BD rips are waiting]

4/ what about GPU .. will go for ATI for price factor and they are really hitting the market. point is that i have to wait for 1 month to make crossfireX :banghead:

5/ will 500W PSU be sufficient?

6/ decent TV Tuner ... and internal Sound Card [based on point 2]

regards

PS: whats the diff between normal and black edition

Last edited:
OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
for ref

1/ 10k max [might go for 955 or 965 x4, or 1075 x6]
2/ 6-8k max
3/ 7500/- nehru place
4/ 10-15K max
5/ 5k
6/ <3k

^^ mention overall budget for everything. your overall information is a bit vague.

no offence, but i was very specific on proc and display. no idea on gpu as it will take 1 month to have CF.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Buying amd's now in the upper segment makes no sense now with the advent of sandybridge. It will make sense when bulldozer arrives.

So here's your config:

Component | Make | Price PROCESSOR | Intel Core i5 2400 | 9.5k
MOTHERBOARD | Intel DH67CL | 6.5k
GRAPHICS CARD| Msi gtx 560 twin frozr II/OC | 15.5K
POWER SUPPLY| Seasonic S12II 620 | 5.2k
MONITOR| Benq G2220HD | 7.3k
SOUNDCARD| ASUS Xonar DX |4.2k

This configuration is much much better than all phenon 2 x4's and x6's. Its even better than previous generation core i processors.

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2500k|11000
Motherboard |Intel DP67BG|8000
Monitor |AOC 2236VW|7500
Graphics Card |Sapphire HD6950 1GB|15000
PSU |Seasonic S12II 620|5200

now which speakers you have? as you want a sound card?
you have DDR3 ram?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
vicky -

removed the t from first tag so it doesnt become a table in post.

[ABLE]Component|Make|Price
Processor|Intel Core i5 2500k|11000
Motherboard|Intel DP67BG|8000
Monitor|AOC 2236VW|7500
Graphics Card|Sapphire HD6950 1GB|15000
PSU|Seasonic S12II 620|5200[/TABLE]

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
sounds gr8... thx Jas, i have AL FX5051 and 4 GB DDR3.
Code:
 On January 31, 2011, Intel announced that it had found a design flaw in its 6 series chipset named Cougar Point, that accompanies the LGA 1155 socket, affecting SATA-II ports (number 2 to 5) and a recall was issued. Intel announced that replacements will be out to motherboard manufacturers by the end of February 2011. Due to pressure from OEM manufacturers, Intel brought forward the scheduled date release of the revised chipset to begin shipping out on February 14, 2011. Most mainstream boards should meet supply demand by the end of March 2011 to the beginning of April 2011
this is why i am thinking for AMD. again Intel will come with LGA 2011, Intel is habituated with frequent change in technology though upgrading never ends. we never know that Intel will announce a new series like m4,m6 .... :oops:

i never used AMD but many gamers prefer AMD, as i said before .. i am not a gaming freak but it will used for ripping, high def movies, video editing, few applications like oracle, studio, flash etc.

i am also like to have HD6950 and might opt it.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Whatever amd you are planning to get now will fall short of intel sandybridge in performance. The config me and jaskanwar suggested( atleast in the processor department) will eat all amd x6 processors for breakfast , lunch and dinner and that too at the same price point in all applications(single and multithreaded). Core per core, they are blazing fast in whether gaming or video encoding. So its completely upto you.

Talking about cougar point, the b3 revision boards will hit anytime now and the shipping as already begun.

Now about socket 2011 cpu's they will be high performance parts and will have quad channel memory interface. Both socket 1155 and 2011 are futureproof in terms of cpu support.

Btw, amd is also coming up with "bulldozer" its new microarchitecture cpu's and they will support 990 series socket(am3+) a.k.a scorpious platform. So the new bulldozer cpu's won't work on current am3 boards either. So even you get current x6 cpu's now, you cannot upgrade to bulldozer on your existing am3 motherboard. So what say now?

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
sounds gr8... thx Jas, i have AL FX5051 and 4 GB DDR3.
Code:
 On January 31, 2011, Intel announced that it had found a design flaw in its 6 series chipset named Cougar Point, that accompanies the LGA 1155 socket, affecting SATA-II ports (number 2 to 5) and a recall was issued. Intel announced that replacements will be out to motherboard manufacturers by the end of February 2011. Due to pressure from OEM manufacturers, Intel brought forward the scheduled date release of the revised chipset to begin shipping out on February 14, 2011. Most mainstream boards should meet supply demand by the end of March 2011 to the beginning of April 2011
this is why i am thinking for AMD. again Intel will come with LGA 2011, Intel is habituated with frequent change in technology though upgrading never ends. we never know that Intel will announce a new series like m4,m6 .... :oops:

i never used AMD but many gamers prefer AMD, as i said before .. i am not a gaming freak but it will used for ripping, high def movies, video editing, few applications like oracle, studio, flash etc.

i am also like to have HD6950 and might opt it.

look as vicky said there is no point in going for amd x6 now. the i5 2500k is just a steal at that price. unlocked multiplier, 4.5ghz on stock cooler, almost matching i7 980x in performance. what more you want?

amd is also coming up with bulldozer and as vicky said your current mobos wont be compatible with the new processors. (however AFAIK you can use you current proccy on new mobos till you get a new bulldozer proccy.) but thats a long time.

and dont fear that socket change and all. all you should get is a performer. tech keeps on advancing and who knows what might become next so get whats the fastest you can get today to be futureproof.

moreover i mentioned a P67 board which is required for oc and that board is great acc. to reviews i saw. and its price is another steal. so wait and get whats best.

about gpu +1.

hira101

Right off the assembly line
for the multi purpose desktop my preferences are
1/ 10k max [might go for 955 or 965 x4, or 1075 x6]
2/ 6-8k max
3/ 7500/- nehru place
4/ 10-15K max
5/ 5k
6/ <3k
i think these are the best for everyone for the multi purpose.

Top Bottom