Multi boot query

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I posted this here as it deals with both OSS and propriety OSes :p

Anyway here goes
I formatted and reinstalled my Windows XP home edition today, updated it and imaged the system partition, considering that we won't get support/patches after June 30th except critical ones. In the bargain I lost my GRUB, and I tried everything I suggested to MetalheadGautham but it did not work, not even SuperGRUB.

All this is because my partitions were split, merged and moved several times. While grub says the root is on hd(0,6) and hd(0,7), I know it's on hd(0,7) and hd(0,8 ), and yes I know the first is hd(0,0). Besides when you install SuSE multiple times, the previous boot records become submenus and the whole thing becomes one big mess.

When I was using RH9.0, I used to have a third party bootloader called XOSL, and boot everything through that. I've heard that GRUB is far better than that. Anyway with regards to GRUB I have a few questions:
1. Where to install GRUB, on the MBR or in the root of the linux partition. I had installed mine on the MBR, although I wonder how it does that as I use ntfs partitions.
2. I plan to install Ubuntu 8.04 tomorrow, and OpenSuSE 11.0 when it's released. What would be the best way to go about it with reference to booting and bootloader location?
3. Once I install GRUB with the Ubuntu install disc how do I install/not install GRUB for SuSE?

:lol:
I know its rude to laugh, but still

You got PWNED.

Anyway, just ensure that you have data of linux backed up in a seperate /home partition and reinstall it from the scratch.

I recommend creating a GRUB boot disc too while you are at it. Its GRUB on a floppy.
Regardless of the MBR, this grub is one which is synched with that on linux.
Here is the tutorial: *manual.sidux.com/en/sys-admin-grub-bootman2-en.htm#boot-grub-floppy

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I know its rude to laugh, but still

You got PWNED.

No I did not
I have a separate 25 GB home partition :p
All I lost is the OS
That is why I am waiting for OpenSuSE 11.0, so I can reuse the same /home without formatting it. And if anyone does do the mistake of using the root partition for their home, there's always live CDs through which you can mount and recover your data. I did not move the lat two partitons in my hard disk - /home and last windows partition

Now no one has answered my query yet^

PcEnthu

Linux Learner
For all of your queries, I suggest you use the XP's MBR to boot the system and start Grub via that.

1. While installing distros, choose the option, not to install any bootloader. And manually edit the Grub config file to add the startup entries for the installed distro

2. While uninstalling any distro, you can format the HDD partition of the installed distro and simply remove the grub entries of that distro

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
For all of your queries, I suggest you use the XP's MBR to boot the system and start Grub via that.

1. While installing distros, choose the option, not to install any bootloader. And manually edit the Grub config file to add the startup entries for the installed distro

2. While uninstalling any distro, you can format the HDD partition of the installed distro and simply remove the grub entries of that distro

If I understand you correctly, if my linux root is (hd0,3), then I should install grub to that.
Then edit the boot.ini file to point to that bootloader?
Any tutorials?

OP
NucleusKore

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Old thread
Anyway I now use GAG Bootloader
I install GRUB for my distros to the respective root partition so no headache. Even if a kernel update messes the grub I can still boot other OSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom