MTNL 8 Mbps unstable connection

Cooldude3094

Broken In
Hello all
I was using 2mbps plan of MTNL on which i used to get stable connection
since i shifted to 8mbps plan of MTNL.. I'm getting frequent disconnections..
Tried all settings ....
Tried MTNL ip address n DNS server..
Tried changing ADSL setting to G.dmt.. read about it in some blogs..
even lodged a complaint!

getting snr values around 10
and attenuation around 40

Still unable to figure out the EXACT problem..
I guess its from MTNL side..

OP
C

Cooldude3094

Broken In
I'm saying the problem still persists..
I have mentioned the ways i've tried to solve it..
But still the problem persists..

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
snr should be at least 15 for a stable connection.most likely the rainy season is the reason(usual for bsnl/mtnl network).

paroh

Padawan
For mtnl mostly 97% there is a phone line connection problem like joints in the wire or carbon on the joints. Make sure there are no joints in wire. If there is joints in wire ask them to replace ur wire.
First chk your phone line quality for any disturbance even a single small beep sound (whistle sound) can decrease the SNR margin and increase the line attenuation and make the connection unstable.
Plus the distance of your phone exchange it should be between (1.5-2KM) for a stable connection
Quality of your filter.
First check the SNR margin with filter in between
and then check the SNR margin wiithout filter in between
(Try to connect the direct line to ur modem without filter in between and check the SNR margin.)

And last suggestion ask your ISP to decrease your download speed to 4mps so that you could get better stable connection

OP
C

Cooldude3094

Broken In
For mtnl mostly 97% there is a phone line connection problem like joints in the wire or carbon on the joints. Make sure there are no joints in wire. If there is joints in wire ask them to replace ur wire.
First chk your phone line quality for any disturbance even a single small beep sound (whistle sound) can decrease the SNR margin and increase the line attenuation and make the connection unstable.
Plus the distance of your phone exchange it should be between (1.5-2KM) for a stable connection
Quality of your filter.
First check the SNR margin with filter in between
and then check the SNR margin wiithout filter in between
(Try to connect the direct line to ur modem without filter in between and check the SNR margin.)

And last suggestion ask your ISP to decrease your download speed to 4mps so that you could get better stable connection

Thanks paroh, very good explanation!
I'll tell MTNL to decrease speed to 7.5 mbps.. I think that should solve it!

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan
First also try this method which in missing in my above post.
Try to change the modulation in ur Adsl modem.
G.Dmt Enabled
G.lite Enabled (Disable it)
T1.413 Enabled (Disable it)
ADSL2 Enabled (Disable it)
AnnexL Enabled
ADSL2+ Enabled (Disable it)
AnnexM Enabled

After changing the modulation check the SNR margin and ur download speed in adsl modem and post it here.

I think 7.5mbps will not make much difference. Tell them to fix speed between 4-6mbps.
As decreasing speed is a test run and it should be live so that u can check the SNR margin at different speed rate and ask the mtnl people to fix that speed that is most stable to you. keep in mind that SNR margin remain at leat in between 12.5 to 15

Last edited:
OP
C

Cooldude3094

Broken In
First also try this method which in missing in my above post.
Try to change the modulation in ur Adsl modem.
G.Dmt Enabled
G.lite Enabled (Disable it)
T1.413 Enabled (Disable it)
ADSL2 Enabled (Disable it)
AnnexL Enabled
ADSL2+ Enabled (Disable it)
AnnexM Enabled

After changing the modulation check the SNR margin and ur download speed in adsl modem and post it here.

I think 7.5mbps will not make much difference. Tell them to fix speed between 4-6mbps.
As decreasing speed is a test run and it should be live so that u can check the SNR margin at different speed rate and ask the mtnl people to fix that speed that is most stable to you. keep in mind that SNR margin remain at leat in between 12.5 to 15

*i.imgur.com/y0HRY8T.jpg
*imgur.com/y0HRY8T,7RKicoX

*i.imgur.com/7RKicoX.jpg
*imgur.com/y0HRY8T,7RKicoX#1

- - - Updated - - -

I complained, then MTNL guy came in our building.
He said he changed joint.
Still no change in snr margins and facing dropouts..
I'm going to call them and tell then to reduce speed

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan
SNR margin and line attenuation looks not good the value are very vague.Did u try to refresh the page and check the value's again if values are changing very much high or low then i am 99.9% sure there is line. problem. But after changing the modulation did u notice a stable connection or connection is still unstable??

As for my connection the status is below
Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 27.1 27.4
Attenuation (dB): 39.5 21.4
Output Power (dBm): 12.3 17.4
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 9072 1205
Rate (Kbps): 1999 493

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not just line but even rust/dust on port at the back of modem/lan & phone wire connectors/splitter connector can cause issue.check that 2 copper wires in all connectors & ports are shining yellow a bit & not blackened.

OP
C

Cooldude3094

Broken In
SNR margin and line attenuation looks not good the value are very vague.Did u try to refresh the page and check the value's again if values are changing very much high or low then i am 99.9% sure there is line. problem. But after changing the modulation did u notice a stable connection or connection is still unstable??

The snr margin values & attenuation values are stable..
Earlier all adsl modulations were checked.. now i ticked only G.dmt.. Result stable than before.. meaning few dropout comparing more/frequent dropouts when all settings were checked..

But still dropouts are there..

- - - Updated - - -

not just line but even rust/dust on port at the back of modem/lan & phone wire connectors/splitter connector can cause issue.check that 2 copper wires in all connectors & ports are shining yellow a bit & not blackened.

Thanks whitestar .. I'll surely check it.. and reply

- - - Updated - - -

1 more thing i would like to share with u all..
The same 8 mbps plan is in my office..

*i.imgur.com/D9DaRuI.jpg
*imgur.com/D9DaRuI

These are values in office ..
Here it is a stable connection

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if CRC value keeps increasing then i wouldn't say it is a stable connection.you will remain connected but browsing/downloading will be severely impacted if these CRC values keep increasing every few seconds.

avisekmtnl

Right off the assembly line
if CRC value keeps increasing then i wouldn't say it is a stable connection.you will remain connected but browsing/downloading will be severely impacted if these CRC values keep increasing every few seconds.

SNR.jpg

These are my stats yippie!

Top Bottom