MSI-K8NGM2-FID Buyers......Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

gannu_rox

In the zone
Heyo,

Those of you who have plans to buy this mobo, be aware that the O'clocking ability is very limited....

1. There is no option of changing the clock multiplier. The only one is fsb freq, but increasing that will make the sys unstable. ( I myself cudn't go above 215Mhz @ clk Multiplier 11)

2. There is no option of changing the core voltage nor the chipset voltage. So no point in increasing the fsb freq.

But then otherwise, it is an xcellent board, u get the HDTV out connector, s-video connector, 7.1 HD audio, onbard LAN, Onboard 6 series GFX, IEEE1394 ports.......

I dunno how gfx works but...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I oclocked my gfx card from 450Mhz Core speed & 660 Mhz Memo Speed to 550 Mhz & 690 Resp(For time being)

The performance increase was great,

3dmark'05 - Earlier 7577 to 8540.
3dmark'06 - Earlier 35xx to 4410.

The cooling was not bad either....

1 Antec 120mm Trilight fan,
1 Coolermaster 120mm fan,
2 Antec 80mm Red LED fans,
1 Coolermaster 80mm fan,
1 Antec V'cool gfx Cooler.

Moreover AC @ 25'c was also there. So the temp of GPU kept below 60'c at all times.

See ya
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
A mobo with onboard graphics is not meant to be oced. So you should never have bought an onboard video mobo if you plan to oc.

Anyway please let me know how your system performs at stock, mine is very similar.
3200 Winnie
2gb ram
x1900xtx

OP
G

gannu_rox

In the zone
No my dear,

Why do you compare a gr8 XTX with a silly 7900gt.. You ought not...

You're doing a big mistake worth another 24 pixel pipelines...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I know mine is much better, but my cpu bottlenecks me and your cpu is a tad better, so I will atleast get some idea.
On what settings can you play MW at 45fps +

OP
G

gannu_rox

In the zone
MW (I believe Most Wanted) runs without any choppiness. I believe you can get more than 40 fps, but hw do you check that out.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
akshayt said:
A mobo with onboard graphics is not meant to be oced. So you should never have bought an onboard video mobo if you plan to oc.

Anyway please let me know how your system performs at stock, mine is very similar.
3200 Winnie
2gb ram
x1900xtx

very well said

OP
G

gannu_rox

In the zone
Hey Sam,

The latest BIOS only addresses some cpu temp issue and wakeup (some crap).

So I didn't flash with the new one.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
gan12320021 said:
Hey Sam,

The latest BIOS only addresses some cpu temp issue and wakeup (some crap).

So I didn't flash with the new one.

Hmmm...wait....and see...if they bring out an update that is usefull flash it...it may have some overclocking features......Any specific reason u went for the mobo???The 7.1 channel audio rocks!!!

1 of my friends also did go for the same series for the same reason......

OP
G

gannu_rox

In the zone
Well,

Seriously I thot the newer 6 series chipset wud do fair justice..
You're right. Audio sounds gr8 on my Inspire 5.1, but see even that requires another expansion slot on the cabinet.

I'm thinking of selling this and investing in a ASUS a8n e.

cyrux

In the zone
Regarding unlocking muliplier , is your processor having an unlocked multiplier....using the fx series ?

cyrux

In the zone
akshayt said:
but with other mobos(those who oc that is) you get an option to reduce your multiplier.

Why do you want to underclock it.. Multiplier are usually locked , except for some series of processors like the FX series ... So to firstly oc the processsor using the multiplier option it should be unlocked in the processor

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
If u really want to oc , then don't get the Asus one .. get a DFI mobo .. much better oc'ing options ... i really miss some divider settings in this mobo after seing what the DFI has to offer ... am planning to get a DFI SLi soon ....

Multiplier are usually locked , except for some series of processors like the FX series ... So to firstly oc the processsor using the multiplier option it should be unlocked in the processor

Well .. all Athlon models have downwards multiplier unlocked .... the FX series has upper multiliers unlocked .... AMD canreally be twisted a lot for a stable oc. ...

I believe you can get more than 40 fps, but hw do you check that out.

Fraps ... and btw .. even i get over 35 fps ... don't u think u can do better than 45 fps with a 7900GT or a X1900XTX ....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
you need to lower it to check for oc potential, have a look at the guides.

Also Asus is good for low volatages, it is cheap and noob friendgly.
DFI is a no for noobs and is a bit more expensive.

also, performance at stock i think is more of Asus

@deathme virus, what settings and what rig you talking about

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
This is my rig : *www.techenclave.com/forums/rig/viewgallery-265.html

Am playing NFS MW at 1280*960 (no diff. with 1280*1024) , maxed settings (ingame i.e.) .. nothing forced ... fps varies between 35 and 50 .. avg. around 38-40 ...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I don't believe it, do you get stuttering?
how can a 6800GT manage that, even you oced one won't beat a 7600GT/6800ultra by a huge marging if at all, a 7800GT can't do that imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom