MS or MBA... carrer planning

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
guys i need some help
currently i'm gonna start 3rd year in my B.E( I.T)
i have done well in 10th 87% , 12th was ok 72%.... my current Cgpa is 7.0 with a lot of scope for improvement(4 more sems to go)
now i have to decide what do i do for my masters....

i like programming and i'm good at it
now i have come to hate maths in college so giving GATE seems like a big ask for me cuz of all the maths in it.. all colleges in india for Mtech require GATE scores... so i guess Mtech in india is out of the question

MS... outside India.....
i don't have much knowledge but what i know is i need to give GRE and Toefl
for colleges in US...
my friends say that GRE is easier than GATE... and i don't need to study a lot of maths for it
i dont know whether they are correct . what do u'll say?

What abt colleges in australia and UK?
what are the requirements...?

how important is a good college ?
i'm studying in the 2nd ranked college in chattisgarh... don't know where it stands in india... but its not very famous outside chattisgarh so i'm sure its not ranked high

My cgpa 7.0 (absolute)is also not that great so... is there any scope in foreign universities?

How much do co-curricular activities matter?
i'm a drummer , have my own band.... have done Radio shows & a TV show

Now the 2nd option is MBA

i have been reading CSR. etc and i seem to be able CAT ,MAT papers.. i find it easy and interesting guess cause i have good vocab and GK
so i am more interested in an MBA....
there's also GMAT.. which i dont have much knowledge about
is it easier or tougher than CAT?
what are the requirements.... for it?

How important is work ex.. for foreign universities and indian ones?
will it give me a chance to get into a better university?

i would like to finish my studies and then work... but if its important i'll work in between for work-ex

so guys, from what i've written you can see i am in a big conundrum and cant decide what i should do....

i am leaning towards an MBA because i think there's more chances of me being successful in it than MS... but i dont want to leave programming...which will happen if i do an MBA

So , i need help from you guys..
all suggestions are welcome :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Don't know enough enough about MS, but as for MBA it is not advisable to do it unless you have at least 2-3 years of Work Experience. And yeah doing MBA is like you throwing away the Engineering degree (well not exactly, but I don't think you'll get "Programming" kind jobs with MBA)

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Dude in gate
out of 65 questns
15 are apti
20mrks are math

so CS subj are important weightage

so my sugg is try gate...MTECH from IISC,IIT Are worth

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
but only i know how i passed calculus...
i've had enough of it and want it out of my life

so i hate the idea of GATE

Pathik

Google Bot
Do an MS. The GRE is very easy. Just keep a good academic record to get into a good university.

gujaratmba

Right off the assembly line
Thank you for the help. It is really helpful to me. GCET Exam

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Thank you ssk_the_gr8. you gave me a very good way. GCET Gujarat

salvachn

Broken In
IMO if you take GATE, and wisely leave out questions you don't know(no smartass guesses) you stand a good chance of getting into premier institutes in India. You don't need any knowledge of calculus or advanced math at all. Just discrete math and logic (which any programmer needs) will do. Look at the GATE 2010 paper in my blog. GATE 2010: The Number of the Beast Queasy Quagmire

Top Bottom