Mplayer Fails to Open file via Nautilus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
here is a small issue.

When i Double click to open a file in Nautilus to open it with mplayer, it fails & gives a error message.

*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/15765_jsupx/Screenshot-Error%21.png

However, it plays them when i Drag & drop the file on player itself:?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Hmm, maybe coz of the symbols, try renaming the file to a simple name, and opening it.

Btw dude, change the image to smthing that shows a legal video :p

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
This is an easy fix, its cause of Nautilus's file:// thing.

Go to terminal and issue: (Normal user is enough, no need root)
Code:
gedit .local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop

In the file that opens, change the existing Exec=gmplayer %U line to Exec=gmplayer %F and save.

Code:
Exec=gmplayer %U

Changed to:

Exec=gmplayer %F

Note: If no .local/share/... file exists then use /usr/share/applications/ one instead. Applies semi-globally if done that way.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think there's a patch fix out for that but I gave up using gmplayer and use smplayer now. Its far better in every aspect. :)

Or get a new gmplayer .deb if on debian/ubuntu.

Ps. Disabling "Disable xscreensaver" option would make this go away, but it'd also make those annoying screensavers pop in again.

OP
gary4gar

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
In what terms smplayer is better than gmplayer?

Also, does mplayer support equalizer with in built presets like in exaile

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
In what terms smplayer is better than gmplayer?

Also, does mplayer support equalizer with in built presets like in exaile
First, its based on QT. Second, its got some great features like resuming a file from last play, per file volume controls, and a great interface which even shows the controls (auto-hide) in fullscreen.

Yes mplayer has an equalizer but I don't think presets are included in by default.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
MPlayer does have an equalizer, but trust me, you're better off not fiddling with it.

And as for smplayer, i heard its good too, but qt is keeping me back from using it.

I use gnome-mplayer. It doesnt have any of those features, but is good enuf for watching movies.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
smplayer is THE best player i have ever used.. And BTW, what's wrong with QT? I hope you understand QT!=KDE :p

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^I do, the only thing is that i dont want other than gtk libs running on my system.
Besides, its not that i dont have alternatives right :p

Not to mention that qt apps look way ugly when used in a gtk environment. ;)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Both of them look like windows 98 apps, when run in a gtk+ enivronment.
And i hate that look more than anything else.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Nope, not a single KDE library at all, my USE flags have -kde as well. :) I installed SMplayer only cause it had no KDE deps, being purely QT like qtorrent and some others. Default QT style which was compiled with QT4.3 is in effect there.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Ok, I've searched a bit, and found that Qt4 now has some desktop integration features that make apps look better in Gtk.

Seems, they changed things with Qt4.Last time i tried a Qt app, it was in Qt3.

Anyways, thanx for letting me know Qwerty.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
@gary:use mplayer which is compiled for openchrome/via support(no .debs this time! :( ) if u r still on via graphics :D
@qwerty:what is those %F,%U thingies? :confused:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
I think %d gives directory path, I remember using these in thunar custom actions. But , not so sure, and am at work now.

EDIT : Found this,
*www.linux.com/var/uploads/Image/articles/114442-2.png

No idea if these are the same all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom