MP3 trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

champ_rock

champ_rock
hi
i installed ubuntu linux.... but when i try to play mp3 songs from cd it shows an error.. i am using totem.... what should i do

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
you may be using totem-gstreamer. you'll need mp3 support for gstreamer.

Code:
$ apt-get install gstreamer-plugins-mp3

or install totem-xine

Code:
$ apt-get install totem-xine

But i havent used totem for playing mp3 (its much a movie player, even i never used totem for playing movies, either). For playing mp3 i'll suggest u using xmms or rhythmbox.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
beep is good to ,no extra dependencies and only 980 kb similar to xmms and supports both winamp and xmms skins.

*packages.debian.org/stable/sound/beep-media-player

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
hey guys a lot of trouble..........
i have installed xmms after a series of dependies....
now it is installed but whe n i run it it says install gtk....
i have got gtk + instaled and a lot of dependies of gtk also and when i try to install gtk from synaptic it says version indetermined and it simply does not insatll gtk...

when i use beep ... only it says that it is playing the music but no sound comes... and afetr ssome time it hangs up
for more details .. please see
*www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-57596.html

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
ok desertwind
i have set up totem-xine and the apt get has removed my totem gstreamer..........
but now it asks for some
Audio codec 'MPEG 1 Layer 3 CBR' is not handled. You might need to install additional plugins to be able to play some types of movies
... what should i do.... also whether totemxne will run automatically when i run totem movie player.....

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Is your soundcard detected.So to system->preferences->multimedia selector and try changing them by testing.

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
yeah ubuntu plays the basic system sounds... on atartup and little clicks and all tyhat so the sounds cad is detected.....

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Then install beep media player esd plugin.Or download xmms or other player from

packages.ubuntu.com

OP
champ_rock

champ_rock

champ_rock
yeah already experiinced it and forund that we need some extrtra plugins... wahts the red hat substitute for apt-get....
and how do i use it...

praka123

left this forum longback
yum is a waste thing,better try apt4rpm :D ,OR get rpms downloaded and installed manually from sites
like rpms.livna.org or dag's site. :wink: u can even get wma plugins for xmms there

Status
Not open for further replies.