Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Watched Wrath Of Man yesterday

*www.imdb.com/title/tt11083552/

The movie is okay in the beginning and the middle, but it loses all momentum by the end. I think a lot of character development could be better and most of the side characters are very two dimensional. Also, I think a lot of the suspense is revealed a bit too early which makes the ending feel watered down. The action is okay overall, but it goes to show that Guy Ritchie is not very well suited for these kind of films.

Overall it's an okay watch if you like action films.

6/10

shreeux

Movie Buff
Watched Wrath Of Man yesterday

*www.imdb.com/title/tt11083552/

The movie is okay in the beginning and the middle, but it loses all momentum by the end. I think a lot of character development could be better and most of the side characters are very two dimensional. Also, I think a lot of the suspense is revealed a bit too early which makes the ending feel watered down. The action is okay overall, but it goes to show that Guy Ritchie is not very well suited for these kind of films.

Overall it's an okay watch if you like action films.

6/10
For info...
Its adapted from the 2004 French film "Le Convoyeur" (aka "Cash Truck")

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Watched The Suicide Squad this weekend. Not the best movie, but not the worst either.

That being said, there are a few things that rubbed me the wrong way.

A lot of the story has the "tell don't show" method of giving plot exposition as opposed to the much better "show, don't tell": Example: Bloodsport speaks about his fear of rats due to punishment from his father when he was a child. The whole thing lack impact if it's simply told. Ratcatcher's backstory was relatively better and I think King Shark's backstory could have been explored a bit more. But perhaps those are reserved for some future sequel.

Also, misuse of Chekov gun story telling: Peacemaker has a "sniper desert eagle" pistol that he aims at someone in the building where Harley is held. But for the rest of the movie he never uses the scope again. So, basically that scene served no purpose. Actually, the whole scene of going to rescue Harley serves no purpose since she just escapes by herself anyway.

Harley had literally no important role for most of the film other than get caught and escape. She does have an important role in the end but the build up to it wasn't really that good IMO.

Polka dot man's role was a bit too passive IMO: The only role he has was showing that he suffered from some virus and perhaps three instances when he uses his powers. Plus, he died a bit too quickly in the end without having achieved much.

Now, I haven't watched the previous Suicide Squad, so I don't know how this one holds up. From what I've heard, the previous one is much worse but I don't have any opinion on how this one compares. This one is not really the best film, but not really the worst either.

I'd say it's about 6.5/10.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^^I watched it too. I would rate it 7/10.
I liked the action and comedy (if you like the comedy in Deadpool then you would like this one too)
It seems they have sequel coming in future with a secret ending post credits.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
IMO this is not on Deadpool's level of comedy but then again humour is subjective. While the Harley escape sequence was a pointless scene I think it was a very good action sequence and the combat was also pretty good.

I think Harley's character is not very well portrayed in all the movies. All the movies (incl. Birds of prey) portray her as dumb and who just gets by due to combat skill or luck. I think she should be portrayed in a more cunning and unpredictable manner, like there is a method to the madness.

Also, in this film, all the villains have no personality.

It feels like James Gunn was either working with a very limited budget or some strict constraints from WB.

It seems they have sequel coming in future with a secret ending post credits.
From what I've read online, it's likely for a Peacemaker standalone movie.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
IMO this is not on Deadpool's level of comedy but then again humour is subjective. While the Harley escape sequence was a pointless scene I think it was a very good action sequence and the combat was also pretty good.

I think Harley's character is not very well portrayed in all the movies. All the movies (incl. Birds of prey) portray her as dumb and who just gets by due to combat skill or luck. I think she should be portrayed in a more cunning and unpredictable manner, like there is a method to the madness.

Also, in this film, all the villains have no personality.

It feels like James Gunn was either working with a very limited budget or some strict constraints from WB.

From what I've read online, it's likely for a Peacemaker standalone movie.
Peacemaker TV series will be coming out on HBO Max. They already finished with production I think.

D

Deleted member 345628

Just finished Whiplash , the movie Cinematography and Music Score was cool . But I found the ending very disappointing .

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This guy does a good breakdown of The Suicide Squad compared to the earlier Suicide Squad. I don't agree with all of his points but he is on point mostly.

He also did the same for the Snyder Cut

shreeux

Movie Buff
Stillwater - 2021 - A slow-burn Drama 90%+Thriller 10%....Hard to see Matt Damon in this character...He silently managed well.

The Green Knight - 2021 - A very slow movie...Need the Patience to sit tight... As usual Dev Patel worked...Somewhat not matched in this character.

CODA - 2021 - Unexpected...It's Pure Cinema...All are well performed. The simple story makes us engage till the end.

Top Bottom