Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Marriage Story ... The acting was the best part of this movie. top-notch and certainly Oscar-worthy. And Scarlett Johansson did receive the nomination. The plot is simple, two people in love, fight for what they believe is best for them in the given circumstances, and decide to get a divorce. But frankly speaking, I didn't enjoy how the plot unfoldes eventually. This was more of a divorce story than marriage. Don't get me wrong the writing is to the highest standards, but I strongly believe, the journey of pain and suffering and trial and tribulations should have made them realise the importance of love, life, sacrifice. The characters or the couple, in this case, didn't grow as the movie/life progresses. Its clearly shown that both of them loved each other truly and passionately, but neither of them actually tries to "sort" or "learn" from anything they shared on-screen which eventually was turning out to be the end of their story.
The ideal ending would have been if the couple would have worked their way out from commitment and compromise and self-sacrifice for their love for each other and more importantly love for their family.
My rating would be 6.5/10

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Parasite (2019) - 8/10
Excellent movie from Bong Joon. The title of the movie matches its plot. All characters were excellent in acting, drama & comedy.
Though some people might not consider it that great to deserve an Oscar.
Just watched Parasite completely agree that the movie is good but i guess too hyped for oscars.I mean the plot isnt much its very simple.I would consider it good but not good enough for oscars.
7.5/10 for me

Last edited:

icebags

Technomancer
^ have you seen it in theatre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, of course.

Just watched Parasite completely agree that the movie is good but i guess too hyped for oscars.I mean the plot isnt much its very simple.I would consider it good but not good enough for oscars.
7.5/10 for me

you will find some interesting details, sense of perfection and some Easter egg stuff if you look closely. you may check this montage analysis to start with.

whether orcar worthy or not, can't tell, but the plot was very well thought, well planned and well presented, if you look closely.
the acting feels like ballet dancing a lot of times, rhythmic and measured for perfection. which is very pleasant to see, but sometimes feels like watching drama than a movie.

Last edited:

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
^^But what i feel is that some parts of the movie were over exaggerated like the tuberculosis part where he used red sauce as blood i dont know if it was a humour part for the movie or not.Its a really good movie though.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^^But what i feel is that some parts of the movie were over exaggerated like the tuberculosis part where he used red sauce as blood i dont know if it was a humour part for the movie or not.Its a really good movie though.

Its symbolism.

To show the guys are so rich that they are detached from the reality.
Kind of got mocked there that their superiority complex compelled them to believe the disease was real.

icebags

Technomancer
^^But what i feel is that some parts of the movie were over exaggerated
i too thought that, some exaggerated stuff some over dramatic stuff, some unnecessary stuff. lets say it's reality oriented movie at some symbolic level, where some deeper meaning will come up if you think a bit.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Watched Parasite today in theater.

Didn't want to lose this opportunity to watch a Korean cinema in the big screen.
Not sure if ever any other Korean movie would release in India (they come on film festivals I agree but not in such theaters)

b/w, I wonder if Sony Max or Zee Cinema would start showing dubbed Korean movies (one character speaking in Bhojpuri being mandatory)!!!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

Didn't want to lose this opportunity to watch a Korean cinema in the big screen.
Not sure if ever any other Korean movie would release in India (they come on film festivals I agree but not in such theaters)

b/w, I wonder if Sony Max or Zee Cinema would start showing dubbed Korean movies (one character speaking in Bhojpuri being mandatory)!!!
Not sure about bhojpuri but there are dubs available for some series:
Watch TV Serials, Original Shows, Movies, News & Live TV Online

Tamil dubs are also there:
List of Korean Serials in Puthuyugam TV Channel

icebags

Technomancer

sometimes you get to see those in theatres these days, train to busan was there for couple of weeks last time. dubbed chinese movies are more common though. but i don't know why they did not release ip man 4 here, it got released in the US.

Last edited:

Engineer.AI

Broken In
Parasite

LMAO! Now that is something I would like to see XD

First of all, the Academy Awards (Oscars) are just too out of touch with what audiences are into nowadays. They dont nominate good movies, just the "OSCAR-worthy" movies. That's an elitist barrier that a lot of frankly groundbreaking, novel movies just cant compete (and neither should they).
FUN FACT: For a movie to be nominated, it has to fulfill some really obtuse criteria. Some being:

1. They should perform well at the box office (irrelevant, because there are just a LOT of good movies who don't perform that well financially)
2. They should perform a two week run at a particular county in Hollywood, LA (this is just the academy being self-aggrandizing of their elitist standard)
3. They should be nominated by the members of the Academy (which consist of mostly aging, white actors, who are mostly male - which is why 'technically' superior movies are rarely ever considered, and 'ACTING' becomes the arbitration)

There are many other reasons than just these. My point being, the director of PARASITE ran a massive "For your consideration" campaign, in the same way that the "Oscar-Baiting" studios do. He even fulfilled those minimum requisites I mentioned before.
It is however sad that the Academy gave the movie so many Oscars, as a token of diverse representation - you see, Oscar viewership has been dropping massively over the last decade.

Parasite (2019) is a metaphorically driven critique of modern class warfare. It prods you in the end to think - who is really the Parasite? The rich, or the poor?

Last edited by a moderator:

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Extraction ... Oh Boy this was a surprise. I was not expecting this to be any different than a usual typical Hollywood action. But I could be wrong. This a very reminiscent to John Wick, style and boy it delivered. The close combat scenes and the shootout is the highlight of the movie. The plot is bare bone and is exactly like the title says. "Extraction" nothing less nothing more. Not sure why they choose Dhaka as the backdrop but guess Hollywood knows how imp Indian audiences are there days for a blockbuster. But it kind of backfired as well. This movie would have touched an 8 on IMDB probably had it not been Dhaka, as 30-40% of people gave it a 1 or 3 max just coz they got Dhaka absolutely incorrect, which for me was kinda ok as Hollywood mostly gets India incorrect as well. But keeping that aspect aside this is one HELL OF an action thriller.

Now coming to the performance. Chris Hemsworth is superb and looks stud, BUT what stood out for me was Randeep Hooda. Man O Man, his screen presence was as good as Hemsworth if not better. He nailed the character as ex-special ops. There is one hand to hand combat scene between Him and Hemsworth and its been done fantastically. Randeep was flawless. Overall just watch this movie for brutal action and tightly choreographed hand to hand combat scenes............ 6.8/10 ... I would have given it a complete 7 which is rare. But 0.2 deducted coz of Dhaka :) just as respect as they do get these Asian countries totally wrong....lol

Available on Netflix in HDR

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Glass 6/10 (Hotstar)

Underwhelming, felt like watching the third act of a movie.
Failed to build any tension or thrill.

Michael Fasbender's acting is only takeaway from here

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Tumbbad 10/10 (Prime)

For me one the best, if not the best Hindi movie. Especially for a a hindi movie . Thriller-horror-fantasy, with a surpisingly unique story, amazing sound and feel. And like most great stories, this also comes from a book - A marathi author- Narayan Dharap - Wikipedia . His other works must be amazing too! Feels great to think there are such authors in India in the fantasy genre.

@rhitwick : In case you don't know, Glass is part of a triology only. - unbreakable , split, glass

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@rhitwick : In case you don't know, Glass is part of a triology only. - unbreakable , split, glass
I know, seen them.

In case your comment is based on my post "seems like third act of a movie", well, third act is not equal to sequel.
Even in case of sequel, they use happenings of previous movies as after effect or at times bridge previous movie's incidents and sequel's incidents.

Glass felt like split divided into two (Eg. Avengers Infinity War+End Game) whereas it was pitted as sequel.
My expectations were not met.

Top Bottom